Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bookies React To Currie Signing

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Bookmakers William Hills reacted swiftly to the startling news that Brighton & Hove Albion have signed former Wycombe winger Darren Currie on a one-year contract.

Hills, who were offering odds of 3/1 on the Seagulls being relegated from this season's Championship, immediately shortened the Sussex club's odds to just 7/4 after hearing of manager Mark McGhee's latest capture.

Currie, 29, has never played at Championship level before, has never been a part of a promotion-winning side, and has formerly been a member of two squads who were relegated from Division Two to Division Three (Shrewsbury and Wycombe) and one that was relegated from Divsion Three to the Conference (Barnet).

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Don't be nasty LB, I'm sure you are not looking forward to your visit to Stadia Withdean later in the season.......

Remind me, how is Cardiff's record at Withdean? Have you even scored there? Won a point? :salute: :wave:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Remember watching him playing for my local heroes Barnet. Always looked like a cut above the usual Underhill lot. Ie. a bit of a flash c**t. Was amazed to discover he wasn't one of the Barnet hordes who learnt his unfulfilled trade at Spurs.
But would like to see him do well in the, er, Championship. Very skilful player.
The, er, "Football League answer to Beckham", as every Barnet fan became sick of hearing and you may well too. . .

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Dancin Ninja BHA said:
Don't be nasty LB, I'm sure you are not looking forward to your visit to Stadia Withdean later in the season.......Remind me, how is Cardiff's record at Withdean? Have you even scored there? Won a point?

No, we haven't. We're not a side for the football purists out there. We actually play the game. Therefore, Fortress Withdean is a sticky wicket as far as we're concerned.

No matter. You're welcome to the points. You'll need them. It's mid-table for us again this year. Another season of consolidation, which will become really tedious by mid-January. At which stage you'll be five points adrift at the bottom of the table, I shouldn't wonder.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Locky said:
Bookies rarely get it wrong..............maybe they know something we don't.

If they have reduced our odds it can only be a god thing.

Locky this is a football thread, please don't bring religion into it!:p

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
A mate of mine 'amusingly' texted me with that 3-1 price earlier, informing me he was lumping on big-time. I'd like to have texted him back saying he knew f**k all about it - although sadly his last two big bets were for Greece to win the Euros at 40s in the quarters, and Baros to be top scorer at about 50s. Hmm...

Yoda

English & European
Tooting Gull said:
A mate of mine 'amusingly' texted me with that 3-1 price earlier, informing me he was lumping on big-time. I'd like to have texted him back saying he knew f**k all about it - although sadly his last two big bets were for Greece to win the Euros at 40s in the quarters, and Baros to be top scorer at about 50s. Hmm...

In that case, 'We are going up say we are going up.........' :clap2:

The Laughing Bluebird said:
Fortress Withdean is a sticky wicket as far as we're concerned.

And for quite a few other teams this season, I shouldn't wonder.

To follow your own logic further, if we are good enough to do over the kind of mid-table teams like Cardiff, then by definition we will be safe. The only flaw in your scenario is if Cardiff slump about in or near the relegation zone, then, it is true, a win over you won't be so indicative of us consolidating in this division.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
The 3-1 disappeared as the Racing Post tipped us in their preview as did Bettingzone. 3-1 was still a good price but I've got an insurance slip with 11-2 on it !!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Must be a bit worrying for you then LB as the Albion's recent record of finishing above Cardiff when we are in the same division, against the odds and your predictions, will leave you relegated as well ?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
My team is shite? What evidence leads you to draw that conclusion?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
clapham_gull said:
LB, why so anti-Brighton this season ?

I'm not anti-Brighton at all! That said, I have had a large bet on your lot to get relegated, but it's nothing personal!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Laughing Bluebird said:
I'm not anti-Brighton at all! That said, I have had a large bet on your lot to get relegated, but it's nothing personal!

Hhhmmmm the last time you did that you won :rolleyes:

For the benefit of other who don't know LB he donated the winnings to our REMF Fund.

Did you place the bet before or after the Currie signing?

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Yorkie said:
Did you place the bet before or after the Currie signing?

I had £250 at 3/1 with Hills back on July 7th.

When I placed the bet, the manageress of the shop told me there would be special odds for such a double, as the bets were related contingencies.

At first I had no idea what she was talking about, but then it dawned on me: I had written 'Brighton + Hove Albion to be relegated' on the slip. She thought that Brighton and Hove Albion were two different teams!

:lolol::lolol: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here