Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bolton v Atletico Madrid - the reebok (the future?)

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
£5 for season ticket holders plus £5 for a friend and £10 for non season ticket holders.

26,163 (2,000 short of capacity) and at those prices it really should have been sold out.

About 1,000 / 1,200 Atletico fans there. Great atmosphere with the Atletico fans singing throughout. Sat in the away end was a great experience and it was a real shame there weren't more goals.

There seems to be various thread about smoking at the moment on NSC and it was quite amusing to see the cultural difference with many Atletico fans smoking throughout with the stewards making a vain attempt to prevent them. Half time was like walking into a smoke machine with a large number of the Atletico fans puffing away under the stands next to the no smoking sings!

Very strangely there were about 40 Ruch Chorzów (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruch_Chorzów) fans there supporting Atletico. It was very weird as they were singing Polish songs which the majority of Atletico did not understand. They were two distinct groups yet there was a mutual understanding (with some of the CD2's) that spanned the language barrier. I'm not 100% sure but if I was to judge the Ruch Chorzów fans I might jump to a far right link that could possibly connect the two sets of supporters. Cadiz Seagull can you expand on this link??

Atletico ultras seemed to gather at the front of the stand (which I found quite alien as most you know, in our league those that choose to sing etc seem to gather at the back of the stands - whether this is due to all seater stadium and stewards is another matter!). The Atletico fans were in fine voice with a small minority not even watching the game but choosing the face their own and really encourage them to sign, which they did constantly for 75 minutes. Their singing and support was very impressive.

The game was a bit of a let down but ultimately Bolton deserved their win. Atletico played very neat football but never really threatened into the final third. Campo (despite the abuse of the Atletico fans) was technically amazing and along with Davies, Nolan et al, Bolton always looked the stronger team.

Reyes and to some extent Forlan were big disappointments but Atletico will play better and Bolton will need to play better if they are to get through next Thursday in the Vicente Calderon.

The future?

2267832786_d90f23cca2_m.jpg

Who are ya??

2267046577_826d1e4563_m.jpg

2267840030_15517ebae9_m.jpg

Diouf lucky not to get into even more trouble!

2267048649_593108e8da_m.jpg

Ruch Chorzów / Atletico !!! Can anyone explain the link?

2267053179_ce70b475b8_m.jpg

2267055593_199d9b5561_m.jpg

tomysupercup makes an rare appearance!

2267845984_b4b8617e67_m.jpg

2267847504_b0740f5136_m.jpg

The only thing I learnt to pass on would be that if anyone every finds themselves going to watch Bolton do not go to the ground until you have to! Horwich Parkway (2m minutes walk away) is the nearest station but there are only two theme pubs next to the ground. Those going by train would be better to stay in Manchester and drink around Oxford Road station before making the short trip (20/25 minutes).

And one more thing! When we're at Falmer, please do not let us ever use or promopt the use of banging sticks (small 1/2 meter) tubes filled with air that you bang / hit together to create an annoying noise / atmosphere?

That's progress kids!

FORZA ALBION!:albion2:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
And one more thing! When we're at Falmer, please do not let us ever use or promopt the use of banging sticks (small 1/2 meter) tubes filled with air that you bang / hit together to create an annoying noise / atmosphere?

Too late, they've already gotten into Withdean (along with air horn/hooter type things).

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Thanks for the report, always interesting to hear the opinion of an Albion fan who attended a game as a neutral. It was a good idea by Bolton to adopt an aggressive pricing structure for the game, pity it didn't sell out, my guess is that they might only have got 10k or so by charging normal prices. There really does seem to be little interest in the UEFA Cup these days, the value of the competition took a bit of a nose-dive when they merged it with the Cup Winners Cup and then allowed failures from the Champs League free entry. Perhaps it is time for those running football to take a serious look at how the game is being run and why some matches seem to attract so little interest from the fans...but that is about as likely...well it isn't is it!

Having seen Atletico Madrid fans at a home game against Sevilla, I can report that their BIG 'singing section' is behind a goal, at the front.

And they make a hell of a racket.

I guess that when the income from a tournament is mostly TV money, it barely matters what admission charges are set. The fans (even those of the two teams playing) will be MOSTLY WATCHING ON TV.

If we are debating "the future", can I throw in this thought? Future big European games might kick off at mid-day - to catch prime-time television in the far east.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
That LB is pretty much the state of the Premiership for the larger clubs, the likes of Chelsea and Man Utd could let people in for free and it wouldn't make too much of a dent in their balance sheet. TV has pretty much decided when games are to be played, dependant on their audience, last Sunday evening I went to watch a game that presumably had little relevance to anyone outside Crawley or a small village in Gloucestershire...it really has gone too far.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
bumped into quite a continegent of the athletico fans drinking in revolution bar at oxford road during the day...they were staying in manc for 4 days and even going to see andy c at paradise factory last night!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here