Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boating Holiday on the Norfolk Broads - Tips please

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The giraffe family are heading off to the rump of England to move around in a long(ish) boat for a week. Any tips on what to do, what not to do, and good bad places to go and see, obviously within sensible distance of the broads.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
First thing to remember is that the Broads are tidal so always leave plenty of slack on the mooring ropes, unless you want to wake up at a 45 degree angle that is.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
When the tides come in some of the bridges are too low to get a boat under for a while so make sure if that happens you get stuck outside a pub

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Have you booked it with Hamiltons Water Breaks per chance?

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
It's a a bloody brilliant holiday. We just went with the flow, stopping at many a pub in the middle of nowhere before ending up in norwich for a day and night, well worth it, nice place. Went to great yarmouth on the way back which wasn't all that but all in all one of my best holidays ever. 2 boats full of mates and many a drunken crash!

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
most of the decent pubs on the broads only have 3 or 4 mooring spots for overnight, so aim to get moored up by about 5.30 to get position A1.

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
Great Yarmouth is a dump.

Swalham, at the end of one of the broads, had a couple of interesting pubs.

Watch out for the yachts - you have to give way to them.

Beautiful part of the world; you'll have a great time.

Watch out for low bridges.

Especially at Potter Heigham.

http://www.the-norfolk-broads.co.uk/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=22&Topic=932

PotterBridge1.jpg

Another tip - If you get as far south as Yarmouth, DON'T moor up overnight where the water is tidal. You'll either spend the entire night adjusting the ropes or your boat will tip over and you'll all be DROWNDED.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
NSC Patron
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
It must have been about 30 years ago that I went there with a dozen mates. Still remember it as one of the best holidays I’ve had!

Previous advice regarding water levels and bridges is very apt. Check the tide tables for another reason because you can end up trying to get somewhere AGAINST the tide and you end up travelling at a snails pace.

Have a great time!

:drink:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Enjoy.It's great fun.

Lifebelts for non swimmers and any littl'uns.

Anyone can "drive",not everyone can moor.

You'll be an expert by mid day three and able to help those novices trying to edge in next to you.

TheBlueAndWhiteStrips

May 27, 2009
Huntingdon
We went on a stag weekend boating, If you stop in Wroxham you can get the train cheap into Norwich worked out about £2 each. Also Horning has some nice pubs, the Swan Inn was one. We had a great time.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Sorry, misread the title.

I was starting to wonder why Kevin-Prince Boateng would be holidaying on the Norfolk Broads.

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I was on Holiday in Norfolk a few weeks back. Lovely place.

Spent the evening in one pub that was next to the lake and it was just full of LADS.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's a a bloody brilliant holiday. We just went with the flow, stopping at many a pub in the middle of nowhere before ending up in norwich for a day and night, well worth it, nice place. Went to great yarmouth on the way back which wasn't all that but all in all one of my best holidays ever. 2 boats full of mates and many a drunken crash!

I like Norwich a hell of a lot, after Brighton it;s my favourite place in the UK. it has a pub for every day of the year and a church for every week of the year.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I like Norwich a hell of a lot, after Brighton it;s my favourite place in the UK. it has a pub for every day of the year and a church for every week of the year.

Yep, grew up a lot there when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. My grandparents lived in Wroxham and family in Norwich too. So we used to always out on the broads, my grandparents lived on them - it was very swallows and amazons!

Giraffe, there's a couple of pubs next to each other just north of wroxham on the broads, you can't miss 'em although get there early because it'll be very busy. Moor up at Coltishall (see link below) and watch the world cruise by.....have fun, but don't speed!! The wash damages the banks and pisses the locals off no end (my grandpa used to get really cross with people doing that!)

http://www.broadsnet.co.uk/html/riverbure1.htm

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here