Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Board disharmony of yesteryear

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Having a beer last night with a mate and recalled an incident in the late 1980's early 1990's when then Albion director Peter Kent had clearly upset a colleague at a board meeting.
On the player sponsorship page one Albion was sponsored by a certain 'Peter Klunt', which turned out to be paid for by another Albion director, rumoured to be Greg Stanley, and what a Klunt he turned out to be.
Have any of the programme collectors got one of the said progs, I'm sure the player was Nicky Bissett?
And does anybody know what became of Peter Kent?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I've just packed everything up to move, but I am sure I would have those programs, bounce this thread in about 2 months, I'll have a look

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Last week I drove to Burgess Hill and just by the roundabout to Isaacs Lane is a big house with electric gates and what did I see going in there a roller PFK 111 being Peter Kents roller , the one he used to go to The Goldstone in, so assume that he lives there.

Couldnt see the driver just the tail end of the car going into the drive.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Last week I drove to Burgess Hill and just by the roundabout to Isaacs Lane is a big house with electric gates and what did I see going in there a roller PFK 111 being Peter Kents roller , the one he used to go to The Goldstone in, so assume that he lives there.

Couldnt see the driver just the tail end of the car going into the drive.
Yes he does, he was the NOBO supremo werent he?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Thanks a lot Harty, all morning I've been racking what's left of my brain to figure out where I know the name from, thanks to Don I've got it.
I guess it was in the late 60's these two blokes came into the Office Equipment showroom where I worked, to try and sell the idea of Whiteboards and A3 flip charts on an easel.
Writing on a Whiteboard with water-soluble markers in an era when teachers were still throwing blackboard rubbers at pupils, how quaint.
Anyhow the things started to sell, and I had to visit the lock-up garage in Haywards Heath a few times, to pick up further supplies.
Nice to see when Nobo started to sponsor the Albion kit that he had done well, I guess he was one of the good guys.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I'm a bit hazy about our directors/board from after Bamber was forced out until Archer/Bellotti turned up (as a teenager you're more concerned with the playing side), who were they and were their intentions on the whole good. ie Bedson, Appleby (Not Stanley & Archer)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm a bit hazy about our directors/board from after Bamber was forced out until Archer/Bellotti turned up (as a teenager you're more concerned with the playing side), who were they and were their intentions on the whole good. ie Bedson, Appleby (Not Stanley & Archer)

I believe it was when Bedson was in charge that Cattlin was so controversially sacked? I have no idea about how competent Bedson and co were but I always thought of them as a bit dull, cautious and "grey" and not really Albion fans :shrug:

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I have just managed to dig out an old programme from march 15th 1989, Brighton v Chelsea. Nicky Bissett was sponsored by G.H. Lucking & Sons Executive Travel
There is no mention of Peter Klunt on any of the players kit sponsors so maybe another year?
Interesting to see who was in the squad for us at that time, Derek McGrath, David Gipp, Adrian Owers, Dave Roberts, Mike Trusson, Jack Dineen, Geoff Cooper, Roy Hales and David Coldwell. I had forgotten about all of them.
More memorable were Kevin Bremner, Alan Curbishley, Steve Penney, Steve Gatting, Larry May, John Keeley, John Robinson, John Crumplin, Garry Nelson, Ian Chapman, Gary Chivers, Paul Wood, Robert Isaac, Dean Wilkins, Keith Dublin, Nicky Bissett, Robert Codner and Paul McCarthy

D

Deleted User X18H

Cattlin claims it was John Campbell and Ray Bloom who sacked him - or at least, were the main protagonists.
I would be very surprised if the Candy King had imparted that type of information to anyone. If he did it would have been in confidence.........well it was.

Last edited:

I have just managed to dig out an old programme from march 15th 1989, Brighton v Chelsea. Nicky Bissett was sponsored by G.H. Lucking & Sons Executive Travel
There is no mention of Peter Klunt on any of the players kit sponsors so maybe another year?
Interesting to see who was in the squad for us at that time, Derek McGrath, David Gipp, Adrian Owers, Dave Roberts, Mike Trusson, Jack Dineen, Geoff Cooper, Roy Hales and David Coldwell. I had forgotten about all of them.
More memorable were Kevin Bremner, Alan Curbishley, Steve Penney, Steve Gatting, Larry May, John Keeley, John Robinson, John Crumplin, Garry Nelson, Ian Chapman, Gary Chivers, Paul Wood, Robert Isaac, Dean Wilkins, Keith Dublin, Nicky Bissett, Robert Codner and Paul McCarthy

I am pretty sure that is my mates dad who owned G H Lucking & Sons. Gordon Lucking who went on to become a director at crystal palace, i am pretty sure he is still an albion fan although his son supports palace.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Fair enough, why would he lie?

I'm not saying he would. I put my post there in response to the point that Bedson was in charge when Cattlin was sacked. He was - it's just that I'm not sure Bedson was the prime mover in that particular event.

I would be very surprised if the Candy King had imparted that type of information to anyone. If he did it would have been in confidence.........well it was.

:facepalm:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not saying he would. I put my post there in response to the point that Bedson was in charge when Cattlin was sacked. He was - it's just that I'm not sure Bedson was the prime mover in that particular event.QUOTE]

I was actually accepting what you said, not querying it :lolol:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex

Might be the next season then, do you have a programme from that year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here