Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bloom weighs up his options

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
for those that havent read it. some interesting names there. one thing that gets me is why is gannon in the frame he turned us down once , surely hed do the same again. poyet for me

Bloom weighs up his options
7:00am Friday 6th November 2009

Comments (3) Have your say »

By Andy Naylor »

Albion are torn between big names and contenders with proven records in the lower divisions after Steve Coppell ruled himself out of the running for the manager’s job.

The Argus understands at least one high profile former player has expressed an interest.

But a head-turning appointment could be a gamble and chairman Tony Bloom may plump for a more solid candidate.

Jim Gannon, Colin Calderwood, Nigel Adkins, Gus Poyet and Steve Tilson are among the names under consideration.

The Argus website exclusively revealed yesterday afternoon that No. 1 target Coppell is holding fire for a Premier League or Championship job, which will be his last in management.

That opportunity could come as early as next week, with Phil Brown one game from the sack at Hull.

Albion chairman Tony Bloom said: “Steve was one of the first names to spring to mind, and would have been a leading candidate for the job, but on initial contact he ruled himself out.

“He is enjoying his time out of the game, after leaving Reading last summer, and I think only a very high profile job could tempt him back into football at this time.

“We have had a high number of quality applicants and have now refined the shortlist and will continue with the process of evaluating and interviewing the leading contenders.”

Gannon was the first choice of former chairman Dick Knight before Russell Slade was appointed but he turned Albion down and moved to Motherwell from Stockport instead.

Gannon has continued to impress north of the border, where he has just been named manager of the month.

Calderwood, currently assistant manager at Newcastle, guided Northampton to promotion from League Two and Nottingham Forest from League One.

That makes him appealing to Bloom, as the chairman wants Albion in the Championship for the move to Falmer in August 2011.

Adkins is highly regarded by the Albion Board for the same reason, having steered Scunthorpe to promotion to the Championship twice in the past three seasons with former Seagull Andy Crosby as his assistant.

Uruguyan Poyet worked with Dennis Wise at Swindon and Leeds and at Spurs under Juande Ramos, while Tilson led cash-strapped Southend to the League One title in 2005-06 and into the play-offs two seasons later following relegation.

They are all regarded as more realistic targets for Albion than the likes of Alan Curbishley and Gareth Southgate, who, it is feared, would adopt the same stance as Coppell.

Other contenders include Steve Cotterill, Iain Dowie, Brentford's Andy Scott, ex-Gillingham chief Andy Hessenthaler, Exeter boss Paul Tisdale and Tony Adams.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Jim Gannon - Yes
Colin Calderwood - Maybe
Nigel Adkins - Yes
Gus Poyet - Not sure
Steve Tilson - maybe
Alan Curbishley - Yes
Gareth Southgate - No
Steve Cotterill - No
Iain Dowie - No
Andy Scott - Maybe
Andy Hessenthaler - No
Paul Tisdale - No
Tony Adams - oh dear god no

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
As much as the idea of Curbishley appeals, why would someone who has just trousered £3million want to come to a shithole like Withdean, with a board that has a revolving door policy towards managers, a chief scout who has more influence with the chairman than the manager would have, and fans who are under the illusion that the club is a sleeping giant and have expectations that outweigh both the club's resources and history..............and all for a salary of £60,000 a year?

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
As much as the idea of Curbishley appeals, why would someone who has just trousered £3million want to come to a shithole like Withdean, with a board that has a revolving door policy towards managers, a chief scout who has more influence with the chairman than the manager would have, and fans who are under the illusion that the club is a sleeping giant and have expectations that outweigh both the club's resources and history..............and all for a salary of £60,000 a year?

dont be so miserable:lolol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Jim Gannon - Yes
Colin Calderwood - Maybe
Nigel Adkins - Yes
Gus Poyet - Not sure
Steve Tilson - maybe
Alan Curbishley - Yes
Gareth Southgate - No
Steve Cotterill - No
Iain Dowie - No
Andy Scott - Maybe
Andy Hessenthaler - No
Paul Tisdale - No

Agree with most of these, but don't want Curbishley or Shearer (somebody else has mentioned).

I'd quite like Poyet....... just a change.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Jim Gannon - Yes
Colin Calderwood - Maybe
Nigel Adkins - Yes
Gus Poyet - Not sure
Steve Tilson - maybe
Alan Curbishley - Yes
Gareth Southgate - No
Steve Cotterill - No
Iain Dowie - No
Andy Scott - Maybe
Andy Hessenthaler - No
Paul Tisdale - No

Probably agree with that assessment - it would be nice to have somebody with a high profile as well as track record. The quality of our loan signings has been crap (other than a few exceptions). We need good coaches and a manager who could attract an experienced pro at CB. Be good to get a young attacking midfielder on loan. We are on the right tracks - this season we did cherry pick some good young players from this league (dicker, mcNulty) - assuming we stabalise this season we should do the same, bring in a bit of experience and we should have a promotion chasing team.(and we probably need to splash a million on a striker)

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Jim Gannon - Yes
Colin Calderwood - Maybe
Nigel Adkins - Maybe
Gus Poyet - Yes
Steve Tilson - maybe
Alan Curbishley - Yes (but no chance of him coming here I think)
Gareth Southgate - No
Steve Cotterill - Yes
Iain Dowie - Yes
Andy Scott - No
Andy Hessenthaler - No
Paul Tisdale - No
Tony Adams - f*** off

Jim Gannon - Yes
Colin Calderwood - Maybe
Nigel Adkins - Yes
Gus Poyet - Not sure
Steve Tilson - maybe
Alan Curbishley - Yes
Gareth Southgate - No
Steve Cotterill - No
Iain Dowie - No
Andy Scott - Maybe
Andy Hessenthaler - No
Paul Tisdale - No

Got to say I think that's rather optimistic. Why would Gannon leave Motherwell?

Jim Gannon - Yes
Colin Calderwood - No
Nigel Adkins - Yes
Gus Poyet - Yes
Steve Tilson - maybe
Alan Curbishley - Yes
Gareth Southgate - No
Steve Cotterill - Maybe
Iain Dowie - Yes
Andy Scott - Maybe
Andy Hessenthaler - Yes
Paul Tisdale - Yes

Having said that I don't think hessenthaler or Tisdale will get the job as he wants someone with experience of getting teams out of this league (the right way!).

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Who are we kidding??

Adkins is currant Scunny boss and although we are selling this potential thing in regards to falmer to anyone who breath's near the club...you would be insane to give up a championship job where your over-achieving to come down to us.

The one thing were all forgetting is...Falmer is just under 2 years away......a long time in football and as our currant manager stats go.....were gonna have 2 managers before falmer unless you achieve the high expectation of the board and fans.

The albion job in my opinion is not appealing at all if you are currantly employed in a management position.

As for Calderwood....not too fussed....his win % is good...but how many years where he had lots to spend did he under-achieve with Forest....I know the expectation was high there...but Im not sure he's the man to take us forward.

My top 3 in order.

Dowie - Yes - Proven at lower level and has top flight exp with palace. No nonsence and with good contacts I suspect.

Tilson - Yes - I like the way he goes about his business and not on a big budget. could nab him due to unrest of the financial nature at sarfend.

Poyet - The long shot outsider. Everything we hear about wise good record comes from this guy. Theres something appealing about him and aslong as he didnt jump ship at first opportunity he gets my vote too.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Ridiculous naming Gannon, he's only a few months into a new job where he is doing really well at a higher level than the Albion.

Agree it's absurd and he won't come here, but 5k crowds at Motherwell for each home game - how long would you want to stay there?

Also absurd to mention the Scunthorpe boss for the reason byf gives.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Way I see it is the Argus has just come up with a load of names because they are getting nothing from the club. All they have done is look around for managers with a record of getting clubs out of this league and put them on the list without really thinking if or why they would come here.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Poyet - The long shot outsider. Everything we hear about wise good record comes from this guy. Theres something appealing about him and aslong as he didnt jump ship at first opportunity he gets my vote too.

Everything we hear about Wise's good record being down to Poyet is what we read on here. No actual evidence Poyet is management material at all.

Could be worth a risk though

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

He wouldn't! It is the emboldened above that has started the rumour!

Shouldn't have got rid of Slade, we're not exactly going to bring in an improvement. And they'll want their own players and will need time and then we'll sack them and so on..

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Way I see it is the Argus has just come up with a load of names because they are getting nothing from the club. All they have done is look around for managers with a record of getting clubs out of this league and put them on the list without really thinking if or why they would come here.

That is exactly how I see it to be honest. The other thought I had is that we may be coming close to an appointment as I doubt Bloom would let these "X rules himself out" stories surface without being near an annoncement. He wont want to make himslef look silly or let the job look unattractive.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
He wouldn't! It is the emboldened above that has started the rumour!

Shouldn't have got rid of Slade, we're not exactly going to bring in an improvement. And they'll want their own players and will need time and then we'll sack them and so on..

How do you know were not going to bring in an improved manager?

Theres a few names on that list that have succeded more than slade and have top flight exp.

The facts dont lie. Under slade we didnt do well. Granted he didnt have long...but no improvement was made.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007

Yes but Curbs needs to take a step back and get some confidence by taking us in to the Championship.

Well thats what I would say to him, besides if he has just got 3M he won't want to pay too much tax so £60k wages is fine:thumbsup:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gannon can f**k off, he's had his chance. I'd be happy with a few of the names being touted. Tilson, Cotterill and Dowie for starters, and I wouldn't mind Sheringham if he wanted it and we decided to gamble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here