Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

bloody taxman

macky

Dec 28, 2004
my wife has just got a letter from the taxman saying she owes
£1700 to be paid back at £100 a month
thing is shes on a low wage as it is
she was on paye why should she have to pay for their mistake?
i feel like telling her to pack in and go on the dole xman

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Feel sorry for you and can see your line of thinking. £1700 thats must have been back dated quite a while if she is not earning mega bucks.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
That's Conservative deficit reduction in action.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
To be fair it will most probably be the mistake by the payroll department.
It's not upto the Government to check every single persons payslip every month, it's the responsibility of the employee!

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I've just got a letter saying they owe me £25 for 2008/09. I've had one a few months back with a cheque for £38 saying they got in wrong in 2006/07. I'm just wondering what happened in 2007/08? What's the chances they say I owe them £63 !

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
To be fair it will most probably be the mistake by the payroll department.
It's not upto the Government to check every single persons payslip every month, it's the responsibility of the employee!

Actually I think you'll find this mistake is actually one of the millions reported a couple of months ago where HMRC issued the wrong tax codes so you can't blame the employers.

HMRC are one of the most useless government departments partly because they use EDS as their IT supplier.

And you can't blame these mistakes on the present government as it happened under the previous governments watch.

You could ignore the demand - there is a rumour that HMRC don't have the resources to chase but obviously it's your call. I know two people who have ignored demands and never heard anything again.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I phrased that badly - yes a Tory government signed the contract with EDS.

The mistakes in tax codes happened under the Labour Government.

Yes, that sounds fair enough.

Agree that EDS is totally useless BTW - everything EDS seems to touch went wrong.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
I've just got a letter saying they owe me £25 for 2008/09. I've had one a few months back with a cheque for £38 saying they got in wrong in 2006/07. I'm just wondering what happened in 2007/08? What's the chances they say I owe them £63 !

I had 3 separate letters today, 1st two were to tell me they owe me a tenner for each of the last 2 years, then a cheque for £20.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Yes, that sounds fair enough.

Agree that EDS is totally useless BTW - everything EDS seems to touch went wrong.

Just don't mention Swanick :facepalm:

I used to work for EDS and I can say without hesitation that they are the worst outsourcer in the UNIVERSE !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just don't mention Swanick :facepalm:

I used to work for EDS and I can say without hesitation that they are the worst outsourcer in the UNIVERSE !

Er... funnily enough, the NATS contract was one of the ones that I was thinking about. You must be a mind reader

The CSA was worse though

Alan P

Bouncy
Oct 17, 2010
2,800.00!

2,800.00 in arrears for me, allegedly dating back to 2007 even though i had 4 appointments with them last year to sort it all out and they still reduced my tax code this year. They are an absolute shambles!!

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The CSA was worse though

Only just - they weren't too hot on the Courts Service or CAA contracts either.

Just to show their stupidity, when I worked there it was when the share price crashed from something like $10 per share to a dollar something. They couldn't understand why staff wouldn't take up a share offer at five dollars something !!!!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Only just - they weren't too hot on the Courts Service or CAA contracts either.

Just to show their stupidity, when I worked there it was when the share price crashed from something like $10 per share to a dollar something. They couldn't understand why staff wouldn't take up a share offer at five dollars something !!!!!!

Well, it's part of HP now and I'm sure the EDS employees are having an unpleasant time of it - HP is very keen on keeping costs down.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Actually I think you'll find this mistake is actually one of the millions reported a couple of months ago where HMRC issued the wrong tax codes so you can't blame the employers.

Fair play, I had no idea HMRC were so incompetent they couldn't issue the correct tax codes :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here