Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey that was rubbish

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Poor performance but we are still unbeaten. The never say die attitude of the players is something we can be very proud of.

Good point considering how we played and the fact we were behind twice. Anyone that booed at HT and complains too much after tonight needs o remember how spoiled we have been as Albion fans over past twelve months.

Promoted as Champions of League 1, new ground, beating two premiership sides in one season, Liverpool away at the weekend, unbeaten in 2012 and millions spent on players. I remember the struggle to get the funds for Zamora and now look where we are.

Bad day at the office but a point gained IMO.

Good post IMO, and only your third. Welcome to the sane side of NSC. As for the rest of you, there's an awful lot of negative bollocks being spouted in this thread. We were bound to have an off day at some point and Millwall were a lot better than we all expected them to be. We were poor but showed some good touches in the first half particularly. More importantly, we fought hard for a draw that we might not really have deserved, good enough for me. Bring on the scousers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I literally CANNOT believe what I'm reading here. Toby looked the DON when he came on.
Please tell me of one good aspect of his play when he came on this evening. He made a difference when he came on at Palace but this evening he didn't make any chances, didn't look like he would score or in fact know what he was doing or even supposed to be doing,

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Please tell me of one good aspect of his play when he came on this evening. He made a difference when he came on at Palace but this evening he didn't make any chances, didn't look like he would score or in fact know what he was doing or even supposed to be doing,
He held the ball up, he was the only player I remember actually dribbling the ball into the box, he had a couple of reasonable shots and he won a couple of corners.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If that is how you saw it so be it but my view was that he ran the ball into the box and then didn't know what to do with it and had one shot down on the left hand side that went for a corner that should have been hit hard and fast across the goal. I thought that Vokes held the ball up well but bringing on Adgestein was one of Gus's mistakes he would have done better had he wanted to take CMS off to have replaced either Dunk or Greer with El Abd to give us some fight and composure in the defence and then moved Barnes up alongside of Vokes. I am sure that Toby has the potential but should be sent out on loan to a Div 1 side to get some games as he doesn'
t appear ready for The Championship yet and playing him will do him more harm than good as he will get slaughtered by the fans.

Gus was rescued by a wonderful shot by Lua Lua which you always hope for but cannot legislate or plan on.

Wonbrow

Aug 17, 2011
Watford away? Last night didn't even come close in terms of a bad game.

We didn't play well, atmosphere was flat as a result but we got a GREAT point out of that. At the final whistle I for one had a big smile on my face.

2 months ago we lose that game, not anymore, this team now has belief and some bollocks!!!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Odd formation and the players completely out of sorts. the amount of poor passes and poor control that led us to giving them the ball was CRAZY. That was a game we should have won because Millwall were AWFUL too.

And why wait so long to bring Lua Lua on AGAIN. It's not like he could have played any worse than anyone already on the pitch.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I literally CANNOT believe what I'm reading here. Toby looked the DON when he came on.

I for one am baffled as to why you're having this polar argument when as far as I could see he was no better or worse than expected. Out of his depth? No. The DON? No. A solid 6 or 7 out of 10 and unspectacular.

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
No doubt that this was all down to Gus he made basic mistakes.

1. We had 2 central defenders neither of whom can head a ball and should have taken one off and brought on El Abd.
2. In the 2nd half they attacked down their left side and destroyed us Gus should have kept Reyes on and moved him to right back and taken off Calderon his defensive ability isnt good enough.
3. We started off with too compact a formation and should have started with either Noone or Lua Lua as Buckley wasn't fit. Had Buckley been fit I assume he would have started so why change the formation when it is easier to change the players.

When he made the substitutions he brought on Adgestein who looked totally out of his depth and Noone then didn't play the ball to him but was fortunate and got out of jail with Lua Lua.

Our general approach play was too slow and we needed to whip the ball in with speed instead of just lobbing it in which is easy meat to a central defender. Our defence looks static without El Abd to command it and organise it.

I don't know whether we were watching different games last night!

Adgestin looked quite lively when he came on, maybe being harsh but should have scored the chance he had
Greer and Dunk can head a ball, problem was last night neither of them could pass it

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I am the only one who, accepting we played poorly last night, still think we play better now at our worst than we have played at our best for years.

I think the Gus is still a breath of fresh air for our club, his style, player selection and the way he wants the game is fantastic.

He tried something new last night, it didn't work (this may be more down to players poor passing and wanting to stay fit) but hey as he says the team is still bedding in. We could have still won the game and who is to know that Millwall want go on a good run now and finish up the table, Gus seems to think they have bought well in January.

Sometimes es complicardo.....In Gus we trust

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have said all season that both Greer and Dunk are poor in the air for men of their height and at the moment I see nothing to make me change my mind. Neither are dominant in the air and head the ball away. The good point of their play is that normally Greer is very good on the ground and his passing is brilliant but last night wasnt so hence my view that either one should have been substituted for El Abd who both wins the ball in the air and is good with his distribution. As simister says Adgestein was no worse and no better than expected but having taken CMS off our expectation was probably higher than was achieved.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Gus tried an experiment, it didn't work, and he will learn from this mistake. Coming back from being behind, twice, and another last minute goal demonstrates a "never say die" mentality which is highly commendable. A "half full glass" experience for me.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Game started flat and continued that way. We had no natural width and we kept having to rely on Calderon's balls in to the box down the right hand side for our attacks in the first half, this was ineffective. He missed a sitter too, Vokes would have put it away.

2nd goal we conceded was so soft, Brez should have claimed it and player on back post should have been picked up.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think the criticism of Greer and Dunk is harsh.

The team (to me) looked like it was set up with the width (meant) to be coming from the full backs. This meant that the midfields inability to pass the ball to a player in blue and white left Dunk and Greer exposed.

Millwall were poor, Gus experimented and it didn't work it. Atmosphere was flat too.

And my feet were bloody freezing.

One other thing. I wish people would stop yelling "GET IT UP THERE". Occasionally mixing it up with a direct ball is fine, but hoofing it with ten minutes to go is rubbish. Especially as the ball just comes straight back.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Not worried at all by last night. The squad selection (no Vicente or Buckley, arguably our two best players atm), the formation (no wingers, obviously resting them) and subs (CMS and Bridcutt going off, Agdestein on) scream of a team and manager looking towards Sunday. No offence to Toby, who I thought actually was superb when he came on, but at this moment in time, he'd never get in the squad with an outstanding Vicente and Buckley. With all things considered, I thought we were the better side, aside from the 65-85 minute mark. Looked threatening going forward. Vokes and Kaz on the scoresheet. Just abysmal defending. Dunk should never have been out there; looked off all night and clearly not recovered from virus. Only disappointing thing for me was no JFC; much rather have had him in midfield than Jara Reyes.

Not the greatest night at the office, but gained a point and everyone's fit for Sunday. Absolutely no reason to worry.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think that was a rare occasion when Gus tried a system to counter an opposition's style of play, rather than sticking to how we have been playing recently. Whether he expected a very physical game, and therefore warranting the protection by three defensive midfielders, I don't know. It was certainly an odd formation. As others have said, let's move on. I'm sure Gus will take the lessons and the positives from the game going into Sunday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here