Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blimey, gotta love mother nature

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
President Alvaro Colom released a photograph of a sinkhole in the capital that had swallowed up an entire three-story building.

Attachments

• 494188856-central-america-reels-tropical-storm-agatha.jpg
    494188856-central-america-reels-tropical-storm-agatha.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
when I saw that on the TV this morning I'm sure I saw this silver bloke on a surf board disappearing into the sky

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
saw that this morning. have a bit of difficulty believing thats a natural phenomena since its so near perfectly round. theres also something else odd about the picture i cant put my fingure on .

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
saw that this morning. have a bit of difficulty believing thats a natural phenomena since its so near perfectly round. theres also something else odd about the picture i cant put my fingure on .

The fact there doesn't seem to be any other damage?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What are sinkholes exactly? They had one in the Simpsons movie but I never quite worked out how what the are or how they work.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Mechanisms of formation may include the gradual removal of slightly soluble bedrock (such as limestone) by percolating water, the collapse of a cave roof, or a lowering of the water table. Occasionally a sinkhole may exhibit a visible opening into a cave below. In the case of exceptionally large sinkholes, such as Cedar Sink at Mammoth Cave National Park, USA, a stream or river may be visible across its bottom flowing from one side to the other.

Sinkholes are common where the rock below the land surface is limestone, carbonate rock, salt beds, or rocks that can naturally be dissolved by circulating ground water. As the rock dissolves, spaces and caverns develop underground. These sinkholes can be dramatic because the surface land usually stays intact until there is not enough support. Then a sudden collapse of the land surface can occur.

Sinkholes can be human-induced. New sinkholes have been correlated to land-use practices, especially from ground-water pumping, construction, and development practices. Sinkholes can also form when natural water-drainage patterns are changed and new water-diversion systems are developed. Some sinkholes form when the land surface is changed, such as when industrial and runoff-storage ponds are created then the substantial weight of the new material can trigger an underground collapse of supporting material, thus causing a sinkhole.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What are sinkholes exactly? They had one in the Simpsons movie but I never quite worked out how what the are or how they work.

Going back 12 years to my Geography A-Level, there are a number of potential causes.

It could be the collapse of a cave ceiling or the gradual erosion of material underneath, something relatively fragile like limestone or sandstone or it could be a change in the water table leading to cracking/fault lines.

Not forgetting to mention man-made intervention such as mining or drilling. Good luck to Primrose Hill and the Crossrail!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Blimey, I did Geography A Level too. I must have switched off in the lesson on sinkholes :lolol:

It would be quite a fascinating experiment to have one appear in your garden. I'd be straight out there testing to see how much I could chuck in.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Cor, imagine one of those opening up under Falmer.

That'd be a bit of a choker wouldn't it.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Right, hold on a minute here. I did Geography GCSE and I recieved a C grade. I think we know who is most qualified here.

WHAT THE f*** IS THAT SHIT MAN!?!??!?!?!?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here