Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackthorn: now sweet and weak pisswater

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes, I know 'thorn is not 'proper cider' really and I much prefer the fine produce of messrs Thatchers, Aspall and Weston but of the mass-produced stuff Blackthorn has always been my cider of choice.

Strongbow has always been too sweet and chemically for my tastes and don't even start on the like of Magners and Bulmers etc. where the ice is only needed to help mask the foul taste.

But now they've gone and effectively turned it into Strongbow - making it sweeter and reducing the strength, and it's not been well received in these parts.

I found some of the old stuff in my local Thresher last night and stocked up with 24 cans. They won't last long though, and I fear that day.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Blackthorn is hooooorible. I didn't know it was once nice though.. How can you tell the difference between the old/new?

In my opinion you cannot beat a nice glass of Stowfords or if I'm feeling like a true heaveyweight, I'll get on the Westons Organic... But the one cider above all, that will kick you in the face for a week afterwards...... Biddingdons...... :O

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
i just can't understand why Gaymers have changed Blackthorn when they already make different, sweeter ciders. It sounds as they they have changed Blackthorn to be more like Gaymers original. Incidently i do not mind Gaymers original - but it is a completely different tasting cider!

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Kopperberg, although a refreshing fizzy pop is probably about as far away from genuine cider as you can get..

But I am a fan I must admit..

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Moles Black Rat Cider.

Some pubs in Bath would only sell you 3 pints .. mind you, that was way more than enough!

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Kopperberg is the best cider, everything else tastes like tramps piss

then you have not drank PROPER cider.

Thatchers is the way forward.

The west country is so lucky for the choice of cider we have, the rest of the country is stuck with cheap piss immitation ciders like Strongbow, Bulmers, Magners etc, and is truely missing out on the pure heavenly feeling you get tasting those fermented apples rot away your gut as you drink. :whisky:

'ohhhh i feel my stomach dissolving'. good times.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
exhibition cider. sold at the corry tap in Bristol. 12.5% :bowdown:

Exhibition cider is top stuff. It's nowhere near 12.5% though - that's urban myth.

What isn't urban myth, however, is it is only sold in 1/2 pints. And anyone who has seen the mess people get on it, will understand why.

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Exhibition cider is top stuff. It's nowhere near 12.5% though - that's urban myth.

What isn't urban myth, however, is it is only sold in 1/2 pints. And anyone who has seen the mess people get on it, will understand why.

indeed it is in 1/2 pints.

you sure about the percentage? everybody knows that 'fact', which i guess means it could quite easily be a myth but i was sure that was correct... any ideas on its true % ?

old Bristolian down the apple is a nice tipple 8.4% and only sold in 1/2 pints.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Broadoak Moonshine cider - clear (like a weak lime cordial in colour), and fruity. And at 8.4% it blows your bloody head off.

My local sells it in pints 'cos we are double 'ard in Somerset!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here