Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blackpool fined £25,000 for fielding weakened team against Viall

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
What a f***ing outrageous decision by the PL.

What about when all the big teams rest their big players for Champion League games?? Disgrace, but not a surprise I suppose.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
And that side gave us a run for our money ill say. Dont agree with the fine though. Seems outrageous that a manager, even a mouth peice like Holloway, cant use whatever players he wants for a match.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hope this isn't the 'Major announcement' from the Guardian at 5.30pm that Phil McNulty (BBC) has been wittering on about. Could do with a decent major announcement to keep me awake at work.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Pointless decision. Is £25k supposed to discourage teams from squad rotation which they are doing in the belief that it helps their chances of the £40m windfall (or whatever obscene amount it is these days) that comes their way courtesy of Premiership survival.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
with a rule for a 25 named first team, i dont see how the PL can stipulate who the strongest 11 are. what if one game you field only 5 of your "best" with 6 other squad members, then next game make changes so the other 5 "best" were in with a different 6 squad players? 11 changes but the same strength squad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The fine is exactly the same amount as the one dished out to Wolves for fielding the ressies at Man U last year. Just being consistant I suppose.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The fine is exactly the same amount as the one dished out to Wolves for fielding the ressies at Man U last year. Just being consistant I suppose.

Yep, consistently pointless. pretty much sums up the FA really.

Not saying they should be hauled across the coals, far from it. Just seems that IF the FA deem it punishable, then they should in fact come up with a punishment. It would be like fining Joey Barton a fiver for being a cock.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
what about Man United a few seasons back when they chaged 10 players in a Prem game before the Champions League final? oh wait no fine there. Also as has been said, if you register 25players surely you should be allowed to play ANY combination of those 25? if not then why does that rule exist?

pathetic to me.....f***ing pathetic!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
To be honest I can see both sides of the argument here, and I had the same view of the Man U vs Wolves thing when it all blew up last year.

I'm uncomfortrable with the idea of the smaller Premiership clubs being allowed to effectively "write off" a game against what we'd call the Big Guns, by making wholesale changes. McCarthy was quite up front about it - they had what was perceived to be a far more crucial match at the weekend against Burnley, who they were in a relegation scrap with, so he changed 10 players from the team that had just won at Spurs. That gave Man U a VERY easy ride indeed. They probably would have won anyway, but McCarthy basically wrote the game off and just merely turned up to fulfill the fixture.

How about this hypothetical example. Its the last few games of the season. Southampton are hot on our heals, just a couple of points off us at the top (come on, I said hypotheitcal). Dagenham decide to field their ressies at St Marys in midweek, because they have a relegation 6-pointer coming up at the weekend against Walsall. Southampton duley cruise to a 6-0 win.

How many on here would honestly just shrug and say "oh well, its a squad game, Dagenham can field who they want can't they..." ?

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
To be honest I can see both sides of the argument here, and I had the same view of the Man U vs Wolves thing when it all blew up last year.

I'm uncomfortrable with the idea of the smaller Premiership clubs being allowed to effectively "write off" a game against what we'd call the Big Guns, by making wholesale changes. McCarthy was quite up front about it - they had what was perceived to be a far more crucial match at the weekend against Burnley, who they were in a relegation scrap with, so he changed 10 players from the team that had just won at Spurs. That gave Man U a VERY easy ride indeed. They probably would have won anyway, but McCarthy basically wrote the game off and just merely turned up to fulfill the fixture.

How about this hypothetical example. Its the last few games of the season. Southampton are hot on our heals, just a couple of points off us at the top (come on, I said hypotheitcal). Dagenham decide to field their ressies at St Marys in midweek, because they have a relegation 6-pointer coming up at the weekend against Walsall. Southampton duley cruise to a 6-0 win.

How many on here would honestly just shrug and say "oh well, its a squad game, Dagenham can field who they want can't they..." ?

we'd go NUTS of course, but would HAVE to accept it if the rules in place are clear and simple for everyone to see regarding 25man squads/manager picks who he likes etc.

Again though what if Blackpool won or drew this match they've been fined for? they only just lost 3-2....would they be fined had they won it? thats the answer the PL need to give us!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Thats how I feel tbh honest.

I guess its one of those things that you are outraged at untill you're club is on the end of it.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Yes, you would probably have a moan up if you were on the wrong end the situation however with this in place......

with a rule for a 25 named first team, i dont see how the PL can stipulate who the strongest 11 are. what if one game you field only 5 of your "best" with 6 other squad members, then next game make changes so the other 5 "best" were in with a different 6 squad players? 11 changes but the same strength squad.

Sorry, them's the rules. This rule only came in this year so that invalidates the "let's compare to this to Wolves" and I agree with Holloway, does he actually know who his best 11 are?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its such a grey area and difficult to enforce, I do think they'd be better off scrapping the rule about "always fielding your strongest XI". But I can kind of see the reasoning behind why the rule exists. I was pissed off at Gus making 8 changes for that League Cup tie at Northampton, so changes of this nature for League games are (for me) not a Good Thing.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The team that played vs Villa.

Their appearances (sub appearances) and percentage of total league games (23 games) - obviously doesn't include when the players were available or not through suspensions or injuries.

Kingson 11 (1) - 52.2%
Keinan 3 (3) - 26.1%
Edwards 1 (0) - 4.3%
Carney 1 (6) - 30.4%
Southern 2 (7) - 39.1%
Syvelstre 4 (2) - 26.1%
Basham 1 (1) - 8.7%
Phillips 4 (13) - 73.9%
Harewood 6 (7) - 56.5%
Euell 1 (2) - 13.1%
Ormerod 5 (8) - 56.5%

Subs:
Evatt 22 (1) - 100%
Campbell 18 (1) - 82.6%
Adam 22 (1) - 100%

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

The difference being when Wolves did it there wasn't the 25 man squad thing in place already telling the clubs who they can play.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But the rules ARE clear that the FA states every team must be competitive in each fixture. I DO think that Holloway was still trying to be competitive whereas McCarthy pretty much admitted he was cheating last season so was rightly punished.

So when is Ian Holloway quitting? Or was he just being tediously sensationalist and attention-seeking as per? Liked him at first like most people but his "making controversial statements and being ridiculously defensive" routine has quickly gotten old.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here