Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black Cricket players

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It has been suggested in some circles than in the not to distant future with many high quality young players emerging from Aisian decent that a typical England team of the future will be made up in the majority by Aisians, am I alone in being dissapointed in the lack of interest or emergence from young black players in this country, as a child during the WI's dommanace of the great game I dreamed of an England team with 2 or three quicks giving it back and if honest thought the England team of the future would be well represented!!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
they are more interested in stabbing and shooting each other than playing cricket

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
I dont think there is enough cricket being played in "black" areas. In inner city areas of London there is virtually none played. I think the fact that asian culture is strngly centred around the family it means that fathers that play introduce their sons to the game.

I live in Horsham and regularly see groups of asian men playing but rarely any black players. We need to get cricket back into schools and then I think we will see a bigger cultural mix in the England team.

I dont think there is enough cricket being played in "black" areas. In inner city areas of London there is virtually none played. I think the fact that asian culture is strngly centred around the family it means that fathers that play introduce their sons to the game.

I live in Horsham and regularly see groups of asian men playing but rarely any black players. We need to get cricket back into schools and then I think we will see a bigger cultural mix in the England team.

You're right facilities in London seem poor.

I was at Victoria Park (the heart of East London) a couple of days ago, a large group of bangladeshi's - dads and sons - using the nets, me, and some aussies.

I can't recall any of the Hackney Parks having any nets and most of the schools are victorian with concrete play grounds?

The ICC really needs to get a grip here, promote Cricket in inner city areas, get coaches out there, in schools, I think we have a large untapped talent in this country.

And they say if you go to Yorkshire, every weekend Cricket pitches are full of asians playing, but none ever play for Yorkshire???

But don't sterotype, some of these Asian lads are as quick as ****.:bowdown:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Also, the WIndies are hardly a dominant force in world cricket at the minute, which doesn't encourage youngsters to try and emulate their players.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I would be quite happy to see the England cricket team stay white.

Yes, we need more TRIED and TESTED Englishmen like Robin Smith, Allan Lamb, Graeme Hick and Kevin Pietersen.

Seriously though, I wonder if the lack of English Afro-Caribbeans at all levels of the game has anything to do with the decline of West Indies as a cricketing force?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Also, the WIndies are hardly a dominant force in world cricket at the minute, which doesn't encourage youngsters to try and emulate their players.
Good point, but isn't it a shame the great game cant be promoted to all not just the privilaged few, in the inner city area's

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008

West Indian youngsters arent even taking crickewt up though-they are following more American sports in an attempt to get out of the Caribbean.

If West Indian youngesters arent even following cricket how the hell are black English youngesters meant to be interested. I think football is a much more multicultural sport with far more black players at grass roots level. You guys that play for clubs across Sussex....how many black players do you see at grass roots level?

if they arent there at the roots they arent going to be there at the top.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
My son plays for a colts side in the North East Surrey league and on balance the cast majority of kids in the sides are either white or are of Asian background. I have seen only one of WI background.

Yes, we need more TRIED and TESTED Englishmen like Robin Smith, Allan Lamb, Graeme Hick and Kevin Pietersen.

Seriously though, I wonder if the lack of English Afro-Caribbeans at all levels of the game has anything to do with the decline of West Indies as a cricketing force?

Isn't it more that Caribbeans now look more towards the USA and its sports,Including getting US College sponsorships,
so the top sportmen are taking up basket ball, american football and baseball.

Plus don't mix UK large black population as all Caribbeans. The majority (I believe) are from Africa, which countries apart from Zimbadwe and SA do not have a cricket tradition and where football is the sport to take up. Even in Z'we and SA it was more a white man's game.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
252439.html

chris-jordan-3321.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here