Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bit of background to Slade's problems

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I heard today on good authority that most/many of the players were utterly taking the piss with Slade for months. They didn't respect him, and regularly challenged his authority over things like curfews. I also heard that only seven players bothered to get the team bus back from Tranmere, (which may or may not have been on here before).

There was also a suggestion that a lot of the players are Northeners who just don't care as much for the club as the Sussex lads (although that argument is undermined by the fact that we have given the local kids a chance, and for the most part they haven't done it either).

If all this is true, and I have good reason to believe it is, the problem is they weren't just taking the piss out of Slade, they were taking the piss out of the fans and the club at the same time.

It is now very clear to me, and I hope it is clear to Bloom, that the new man has got to be someone who can really crack some heads together, maintain discipline and take no shit from some over-cocky players who are underachieving on the park. And it would sway me away from a previously expressed temptation to try a Sheringham or a Solskjaer.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
I have to agree with this. I mentioned this after the first few games. Slade came across as too much of a soft touch. That may work with some players who dont want to let the bloke down. Our bunch seem to be typical "lads" , and need a bloody good talking to on the training field, and at half time. A trusted, respected manager in the game, and ideally a big name who takes no shit is what is required. I could not honestly see MA or RS completely going off on one, or losing his temper when needed.

I did like Slade though, great bloke, down to earth and sound. His tactics did not work with the current crop of imbreds that currently serve up the shit to the withdean faithful on a saturday afternoon.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

D

Deleted User X18H

I heard today on good authority that most/many of the players were utterly taking the piss with Slade for months. They didn't respect him, and regularly challenged his authority over things like curfews. I also heard that only seven players bothered to get the team bus back from Tranmere, (which may or may not have been on here before).

There was also a suggestion that a lot of the players are Northeners who just don't care as much for the club as the Sussex lads (although that argument is undermined by the fact that we have given the local kids a chance, and for the most part they haven't done it either).

If all this is true, and I have good reason to believe it is, the problem is they weren't just taking the piss out of Slade, they were taking the piss out of the fans and the club at the same time.

It is now very clear to me, and I hope it is clear to Bloom, that the new man has got to be someone who can really crack some heads together, maintain discipline and take no shit from some over-cocky players who are underachieving on the park. And it would sway me away from a previously expressed temptation to try a Sheringham or a Solskjaer.

I have it on good authority blah blah Someone close to the club told me blah blah.

No you knew nothing until the Argus story earlier today then mused about it until you got home. FACT

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough. Although I haven't seen any Argus story. What is it?

Oct 25, 2003
i have heard that a few of the 'senior' players made slade's job extremely hard

if true those in question should be ashamed of themselves

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I have heard a very similar story from someone I trust who is in touch with several of the current staff.

We badly need someone with an iron will, but also who shows respect when it is deserved. Also, to me, the club is run too much like a saturday job, rather than a proper business. As Bloom has said, this next appointment is critical.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Hinshelwood seems like he can control them.

Or perhaps as ive said for about the 5th time this evening the players realised that theyre next manager was possibly sitting in the stands and so upped their performance as happens every single time a manager is sacked

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
much as i don't like him. He would sort the men from the boys. Saying that i'd still choose gus over dennis

Has he got what it takes to kicks some arse? I don't like Wise either but if there is a problem with players taking the piss, then something needs to be done.

gezza01

Feb 18, 2004
new milton hants
no names or companies mentioned but I have it under very good authority that Russell Slade was kicked out of Yeovil for financial reasons - HE ripped them off

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Has he got what it takes to kicks some arse? I don't like Wise either but if there is a problem with players taking the piss, then something needs to be done.

Always amazes me how so many people think that respect can be gained through fear - i.e "bang heads together", "kick some arse", "don't take any prisoners" :bla::bla::bla:

I'd say the overwhelming majority of respected people in positions of power - be they football managers, teachers, coaches or anyone charged with authority over others - don't need to resort to shouting and hollering at people or bullying them into submission.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Always amazes me how so many people think that respect can be gained through fear - i.e "bang heads together", "kick some arse", "don't take any prisoners" :bla::bla::bla:

I'd say the overwhelming majority of respected people in positions of power - be they football managers, teachers, coaches or anyone charged with authority over others - don't need to resort to shouting and hollering at people or bullying them into submission.

I am sure that Sir Alex never shouts at his players and gives them a hug and a nice cup ot tea after a shit performance.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Listening to all the interviews, I would say liked but not respected comes over as far as Slade is concerned, although it is quite clear that the new manager does need to be a disciplinarian and crack down on some big ego's.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here