Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birmingham pubs

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went in The Sportsman and I have to say it was most probably the worst pub I have ever been in. Not threatening or anything like that but it only sold Worthington as a bitter and it had the tattiest upholstery I had ever seen held together with a million staples. A material sheet pinned to the high level section of the bar to cover it which was stained and then there were the toilets ?

Not a nice place that part of town either is it ?

lichfield seagulls

Sep 13, 2008
lichfield~by~the~sea
We went to the anchor in digbeth can't complain good service and a good old fashion back street pub with both set of fans talking to each other no problems at all, and some of us enjoyed the real ale a little to much.............

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Was in the Wellington and the Anchor, Wellie was much better

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
We went to the anchor in digbeth can't complain good service and a good old fashion back street pub with both set of fans talking to each other no problems at all, and some of us enjoyed the real ale a little to much.............

Indeed, I think "some" of you did...

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

What a gem! What were the chances of finding a pub with an ale festival on, away friendly and on the way to the ground. Solo Green Bullet, by Sheffield Village Brewery was especially nice :drink:

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Really like the Wellington.

Went into the Anchor yesterday, really nice old fashioned pub, let down by the fact that all 3 of their ales I tried were rubbish!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I thought the Anchor was ok, they did not seem willing to give you any information on what the ales were like. When you have twenty on at once and someone asks you for an IPA or something palish in colour, a real ale pub should be able to sort you out without getting the hump and just saying the list is over there. I am aware that they were very busy but I was happy to drink anything really so there was no need to be so rude about it. Post match we went to the Wellington which I much prefer, wished we had gone to the Victoria pre-match as they are always lovely in there.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I thought the Anchor was ok, they did not seem willing to give you any information on what the ales were like. When you have twenty on at once and someone asks you for an IPA or something palish in colour, a real ale pub should be able to sort you out without getting the hump and just saying the list is over there. I am aware that they were very busy but I was happy to drink anything really so there was no need to be so rude about it. Post match we went to the Wellington which I much prefer, wished we had gone to the Victoria pre-match as they are always lovely in there.

Was quite suprised, having asked for a pale-ish ale (as the one I wanted was off), to receive a pint of what was unmistakeably a Porter. Shame.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

There was a brochure telling you what every single ale was like.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
There was a brochure telling you what every single ale was like.

I know, it was on the table though rather than at the bar, and all the ales were not on all the time. On one round we asked for a certain stout, they did not have it, so my mate just asked for something similar they reacted like he was being difficult. Very strange in my opinion, I would expect the staff to some knowledge of what they are selling, most pubs of this type do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here