Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Binge Drinking on ITN News.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Anyone see it?
Put me off going out! Haven't been in West St on a Sat' night for ages, but I imagine it's still the same as ever....dodgy.

I think if the Govt actually did what they said they'd do & give us European licensing hours, then over time binge drinking would disappear. It would take a few years, but I think people's attitudes would eventually change.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the real problem is over supply of drinking venues in city high streets. in the often used example of Nottingham, the local council has granted licences to all comers on the ground that they are regenerating the city centre and providing jobs.

Problem is, all these bars and pubs then have to compete with each other, so introduce 4hr happy hours, £20 entrance to drink all night free, house doubles for the price of singles etc.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Bar stools with seat belts.:drink:

knuckles

Feb 12, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think our out dated drinking hours don't help. Get the morons fuelled up on cheap licker and then let em loose on the streets at the same time.:nono:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Binge drinking is fabulous to say the least and to cut it they should open clubs til 5 or 6 as to be honest im baffled how people go out at 8-30 til just 2 in the morning thats like part time drinking and means sqeezing in as many as possible meaning bad tempers and seriously hammered people.:lolol: :drink:

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Nothing wrong with binge drinking, most people work hard all week and let it loose on the weekend.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
It's not the binge drinking that is the problem, it's what is being drunk.

Most of what is being drunk by the people in question is chemicaly violated. Think about it for a minuite. Has any one seen a real ale or continental beer drinker act in the manner that has been highlighted on these recent programmes?

One good examle was the Ale Trail. People had been drinking all day, and finished in a central Brighton pub. Everyone was jolly and good natured. Then put the same people with the same quantity, or less, with Stella, or vodka based alcho-pops. I expect normal good natured humans would be like aninmals. I know I act vey differently if I have drunk any amount of this type of drink.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I hoped this thread had a photo of Trevor MacDonald drunkenly making advances to a weather girl with a torn dress and David Suchet threatening the key grip with a broken bottle of Hooch.
Carol Barnes was making love to a boom mic.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Just one other thought. Like the mod with deckchair picture on Brighton seafront (1964?). Have the idots that have been binge drinking been plied with drink for the camera?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I don't think it's the hours, or where we drink or what we drink. It's just us. Our culture glorifies drinking until you can't remember who you are. It's that aspect that fuels the yob culture.
The rise of lager and later alco-pops were symptoms of this habit. Fosters, Heineken, Budweiser etc are largely tasteless and fulfill the need of unsophisticated drinkers who don't drink for the quality of the product. Alco-pops disguise the taste and were designed to appeal to young drinkers who don't like the taste of alchohol.

levski seagull

Jul 7, 2003
brighton
did anyone see the clip on the news of the bird in derby staggering across the road to get to her boyfriend who was being arrested by the plod,comically tripping over the kerp and busting her ankle then lying in the road screaming in agony while the pigs just ignore her...hilarious

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
My research shows that reading is dead upto 8-8.30,so it is a big rush in my book and thats why its best to go out about 5 or 6 and chill.
I mean who on earth Q's to get in places at 12-12.30am its pathetic and pointless:lolol:

smudge said:
Anyone see it?
Put me off going out! Haven't been in West St on a Sat' night for ages, but I imagine it's still the same as ever....dodgy.

I think if the Govt actually did what they said they'd do & give us European licensing hours, then over time binge drinking would disappear. It would take a few years, but I think people's attitudes would eventually change.
I spent 20 minutes watching the news Smudger,not once did I see Ian Dowie ,then reallised You said binge not minge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here