Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHAFC back on track - the giant is waking, again

Edgefield

Edgefield
Jul 20, 2008
London
Not 10,000 paid up seats next season though,will people still be blowing scented smoke up Barbers hoop when the east and west uppers are closed next season?

I dont see a correlation in the crowd reduction and Paul Barber, at most he is a very minor factor.

Football at home hasnt been very good for a long time, as Oscars team were quite reluctant to throw men forward at home and relied heavily in making the play offs on a frugal defence away from home and a high away points total, I dont like the increased price of Harveys dont rate the service, but will still go to the Amex.

It often seems that clubs dont like their chief exec, at least Barber talks well and is accessible perhaps its because he tells the north stand to sit down, which will always threaten popularity.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Remember there were increasing amounts of empty seats last season when we were doing well. Barber has everything to do with empty seats, , just as he had everything to do with Fright Night, clackers, "one club, one ambition" and all the other ridiculous things that he thinks appeal to fans, but don't.

Obviously results play a part - but so does atmosphere, something which Barber has never demonstrated any interest in. The atmosphere at the Amex has seriously deteriorated since Barber arrived, fans of other clubs now describe the Amex as a "soulless bowl" - he should be doing more (although it could be too late) to rectify this.

Which is why that chap from Cardiff has been employed, do keep up and I don't actually think PB has the remit to enhance atmosphere its not actually the job he is employed to do.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
People keep saying this - but he's CEO. Match day experience, bums on seats, is one of his KEY responsibilities as chief executive - and possibly the most important for our clubs long-term future.

Of course he delegates responsibilities, that's his job and why we have a Finance Director and so on... but the buck always stops with him.

So he gets rid of somebody who wasn't doing the right thing and employs somebody new regarding match day experience.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The atmosphere at the Amex has seriously deteriorated since Barber arrived, fans of other clubs now describe the Amex as a "soulless bowl" - he should be doing more (although it could be too late) to rectify this.
Who says it's deteriorated? The atmosphere in our second and third season was just as good as our first (this season is down to Sami and results).

Part of the reason I am so critical of PB is because he has left it all so bloody late, if anything is going to improve at all. It was obvious Burke was messing up the squad a long, long time ago - just like it was obvious that the atmosphere and crowds were deteriorating from the beginning of last season.
But our attendance last season was higher than the season before. Obviously we also have to take into account the fans generally think the football under Oscar was less exciting than under Gus.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Usual ups and downs. We had poor attendances at the back end of our stay in the top league. But there are so many great examples out there that PB should be doing something about our current minor dip (and he appears to be doing so by engaging on it etc)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The first season was brilliant! The Amex rocked almost every game. I'll find you some quotes in a bit
No, let me. It seems you've been complaining about atmosphere at the Amex since we moved in. 9th Nov 2011:
Most of us seem to want the same thing - to create as much noise as possible - but at games most people won't join in more than a few times to a simple chant. Many won't at all.

Is this because people don't believe their individual contribution makes a difference to the atmosphere, or is it that most people aren't actually interested in making noise at the Amex?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sounds like me
:lol:

In hindsight I was a little bit overambitious back then - and evidently under-appreciative of how good the atmosphere actually was in the first season.
And perhaps now you're being a bit nostalgic. Doncaster was obviously great, and Burnley was great because of the referee.

I personally don't think the first season was better than the next couple. I would love for it to be better and if you want to help it maybe you can help encourage the north to sing as one to start with.

You remember the clackers :)facepalm:), but have you forgotten the words to our songs being shown on the screens against liverpool in our first season?

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Remember there were increasing amounts of empty seats last season when we were doing well. Barber has everything to do with empty seats, , just as he had everything to do with Fright Night, clackers, "one club, one ambition" and all the other ridiculous things that he thinks appeal to fans, but don't.

Obviously results play a part - but so does atmosphere, something which Barber has never demonstrated any interest in. The atmosphere at the Amex has seriously deteriorated since Barber arrived, fans of other clubs now describe the Amex as a "soulless bowl" - he should be doing more (although it could be too late) to rectify this.
Do you even know what an CEO does... he doesn't orchestrate the atmosphere...

You genuinely stoop to new lows when it comes to blaming Barber, I'm surprised you've not blamed him for the financial crisis yet.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The first season was brilliant! The Amex rocked almost every game. I'll find you some quotes in a bit, but you should remember. So many spine tingling moments in the first season.

Doncaster (obviously) Burnley and even "we're the West Stand Brighton Boys" was amazing! Almost everyone got involved, it was all about the atmosphere.

Sad what it's become :(

How on earth is the west stand no longer willing to join in the north stand west stand chant PB's fault, do you want him to stand on the top of the tunnel with a conductors baton.

I would suggest a high percentage of the drop in noise levels is the general apathy of some groups of supporters, many of the new ones disappointed that we don't win every game 10-0 and we are not due to play Barcelona next month in the Champions League knock outs.

IMO the Amex noise was always going to drop after the first season due to the fact it is a new ground and we have so many season ticket holders so like minded supporters cannot currently get together.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
:lol:

And perhaps now you're being a bit nostalgic. Doncaster was obviously great, and Burnley was great because of the referee.

I personally don't think the first season was better than the next couple. I would love for it to be better and if you want to help it maybe you can help encourage the north to sing as one to start with.

You remember the clackers :)facepalm:), but have you forgotten the words to our songs being shown on the screens against liverpool in our first season?

With "seagulls" going up on the screens when we won a corner :facepalm:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sounds like me, I have always been passionate about having the Amex be a fortress of noise. In hindsight I was a little bit overambitious back then - and evidently under-appreciative of how good the atmosphere actually was in the first season.

Do you not think there was a certain amount of 'new stadium' atmosphere that first season..people were in awe....you do seem to have a bit of an agenda over Barber that borders on the silly

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Definitely - but I look to well run clubs in Germany - how the clubs work with the fans constantly, focussing on making the match day experience phenomenal. It works, we had the opportunity to emulate that - we could have done more in the 2nd season to make the Amex a place renowned for having a fantastic atmosphere... but instead we did the opposite and now, somewhat predictably, the Amex is a half empty morgue.

I do have an agenda over Barber, but only because I'm passionate about the club and I am unhappy how far the club has gone downhill since he arrived, and what we've become. As he is running our club, I feel he should be heavily and continually scrutinised and criticised when appropriate, because our long-term future is at stake.

Ground regulations are very very different in Germany.

As I said earlier on this thread, so you would have preferred things to have remained the same and faced this and future transfer windows with a transfer embargo - you do realise that along with scrutiny and criticism people should also show support and give praise when appropriate.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Definitely - but I look to well run clubs in Germany - how the clubs work with the fans constantly, focussing on making the match day experience phenomenal. It works, we had the opportunity to emulate that - we could have done more in the 2nd season to make the Amex a place renowned for having a fantastic atmosphere... but instead we did the opposite and now, somewhat predictably, the Amex is a half empty morgue.

I do have an agenda over Barber, but only because I'm passionate about the club and I am unhappy how far the club has gone downhill since he arrived, and what we've become. As he is running our club, I feel he should be heavily and continually scrutinised and criticised when appropriate, because our long-term future is at stake.

I'm sure all this has been said by others in reply to your obsession re Barber...2nd season i didnt find it materially different than the first...probably same as....third was quiet more to do with the style of football..there were very few games that got me off my seat..(Leicester?)...this season our home form has been atrocious very little on the pitch to excite me. The club has done as good as what i expect re match day experience, but as regards to atmosphere its what happens on the pitch that gets me going.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here