Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beware The Beast of Wrexham...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
From today's Daily Mirror

BEAST PUTS BITE ON GUS

Wrexham defender Mark 'The Beast' Creighton wants to frighten the life out of FA Cup hosts Brighton tomorrow.
The Conference leaders travel to the Amex stadium to take on Championship opposition in the form of Gus Poyet's Seagulls.
It is 20 years since the Red Dragons memorably dumped Arsenal out of the competition 2-1 at this stage.
And 6ft 4ins Creighton, 30, insists the Welshmen, who are unbeaten in 14 league matches, can make more headlines. He said: "Anything can happen and we just hope it's us that pulls off the big shock of the day, as there is always one.
"Brighton are a passing team, but it is part of our game to stop the opposition doing what they want. We are very fit and will get in amongst them a bit.
"It's part of my game to be intimidating and a bit of a monster, but I'm really just an old-fashioned, tough-tackling defender.
"One of the Oxford fans called me 'Beast' when I was there, and it has stuck ever since. I think it's funny."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Cynical, dirty, cheating, Welsh bunch of hoofball merchants.

Or the 'Southampton of Wales'.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
i don't think it will b an easy game at all...cup upset job for me.

Got the makings of one, I think. We're already down to the bare bones, I think there may be some kids playing. Punters think so, you could get 8-1 on Wrexham yesterday, down to 11-2 in places though you can still get a bit more.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Cynical, dirty, cheating, Welsh bunch of hoofball merchants.

Or the 'Southampton of Wales'.

Or the 'Dagenham and Redbridge of the Championship of Wales'?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Got the makings of one, I think. We're already down to the bare bones, I think there may be some kids playing. Punters think so, you could get 8-1 on Wrexham yesterday, down to 11-2 in places though you can still get a bit more.
Worth bearing in mind that they are called cup "upsets" because they don't happen very often.

Also perhaps time to remind ourselves just how shite that level of football actually is.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
A few years ago, when Wrexham entered the Conference, they realised they no longer had a local rival or hate team in the same division.

So the fans conducted a poll based on all the teams in the BSP at that time and voted Eastbourne Borough as their new enemy.

It was all good humoured stuff and they were a good bunch at Priory Lane. I hope they regain league status this year - looks like they will.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Worth bearing in mind that they are called cup "upsets" because they don't happen very often.

Also perhaps time to remind ourselves just how shite that level of football actually is.

Yes - except that confident teams that are used to winning are going to be tricky. Have you got your scarf out the wardrobe ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes - except that confident teams that are used to winning are going to be tricky. Have you got your scarf out the wardrobe ?
Good point well made, DKM.

My scarf is a blue and white Brighton one. I didn't buy a Wrexham/Brighton one because as you might recall, I thought they looked frightfully shit (and was tired of the *excessive* happy clappy love in nonsense that permanently polluted this board for about 3 months) :thumbsup:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're already down to the bare bones.

This a bizarre joke? CMS, Buckley, LuaLua, Bridcutt, Vincelot, El Abd, Both keepers, Sparrow, JFC, Barnes, possibly Calde, Vicente and Noone, hardly down to the bare bones?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Conversely we could remember how close we came to be dumped out of the cup by an even lower team last season? Teams that are fit and that harry us and close us down have a good chance of beating us, whatever level they come from imo.

Big banana skin game imo

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
lets start Vicente so he can be taken out for the rest of the season - NOT !!!!

play the reserves here and move on

Agree this is one game we do NOTwant him to play in. Rather he be saved for the more "footballing" sides coming up like Bristol and Peterboro.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
If we can't beat a Blue Square team with what we have available then the players responsible should be looking for new teams pretty soon. Yes, they might put up a fight, but an upset? I don't think so :D

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This a bizarre joke? CMS, Buckley, LuaLua, Bridcutt, Vincelot, El Abd, Both keepers, Sparrow, JFC, Barnes, possibly Calde, Vicente and Noone, hardly down to the bare bones?

Apart from the real 'joke' that is including Vicente in that list, relatively speaking, in what should be a 25-man first-team squad, and with all the injuries and bans, I think mine is a fair comment. If everyone was fit, we'd play the reserves for this. Ironically Gus may be forced to play more first-teamers than he'd like.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

We are when you look at the defence.

El Abd, Vincelot, Hall, and....err....

Bueller ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My scarf is a blue and white Brighton one. I didn't buy a Wrexham/Brighton one because as you might recall, I thought they looked frightfully shit (and was tired of the *excessive* happy clappy love in nonsense that permanently polluted this board for about 3 months)

It was an emperors new clothes moment ..................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here