Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Better to play home leg first?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I know the players said they want to play the home leg second " so we know what we have to do" ( Danny Cullip) but I think it would be better to play at Withdean first. We're not scoring many goals from open play ( just one in four ) so to return to Withdean possibly needing to score more than once or twice might be asking an awful lot. Much better to get something to at Withdean, take a massive away support to the second leg and and try and get a goal.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I would much rather play away first. We proved at Bristol that in a big game away we can get something. Even a narrow defeat would be fine. We can beat anyone at Withdean.

Hart's mistress

Mar 7, 2004
Brighton
I think I'd rather do what the players want to as psychologically I reckon it'd be best for them to get what they want. But if we lose first leg away and opposition come and play defensive I worry that we may not be able to break through. I still reckon we'll get to the final whichever way round it is though - nice and optimistic.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Hart's mistress said:
I think I'd rather do what the players want to as psychologically I reckon it'd be best for them to get what they want. But if we lose first leg away and opposition come and play defensive I worry that we may not be able to break through. I still reckon we'll get to the final whichever way round it is though - nice and optimistic.

That's true but even if we have the first leg at home the away team will come for the draw. Just look at our record. It's fantastic but we've been found out a bit recently. On the plus side though our away form has improved. It'll be tight - when isn't it. We deffinatly have every chance of making the final though.

Hart's mistress

Mar 7, 2004
Brighton
Turkey said:
That's true but even if we have the first leg at home the away team will come for the draw. Just look at our record. It's fantastic but we've been found out a bit recently. On the plus side though our away form has improved. It'll be tight - when isn't it. We deffinatly have every chance of making the final though.

Well that's perfect then: home's got a little worse, away a little better - that's a 1-0 win for both and we're there, excellent.

mitch

Oct 16, 2003
play the away leg 1st then bring them back to the fortress withdean.feel more comfortable that way would'nt want to be away chasing a result in the 2nd leg

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Turkey said:
I would much rather play away first. We proved at Bristol that in a big game away we can get something. Even a narrow defeat would be fine. We can beat anyone at Withdean.

Turkey - we were very lucky at Bristol City, very lucky. I have to say I wouldn't fancy our chances against them in the semis especially if we had to play there first.

Yes our record at Withdean is superb but the goals have dried up. What's happened to little Leon's form? The second leg at Withean would almost certainly be us trying to break down 10 men behind the ball and we've all seen just how difficult that is recently. I know I'm going against the majority on this one but I really think we'd struggle against a team with a one or two goal advantage to take to Withdean for the second leg.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Sneaky George said:
Turkey - we were very lucky at Bristol City, very lucky. I have to say I wouldn't fancy our chances against them in the semis especially if we had to play there first.

Yes our record at Withdean is superb but the goals have dried up. What's happened to little Leon's form? The second leg at Withean would almost certainly be us trying to break down 10 men behind the ball and we've all seen just how difficult that is recently. I know I'm going against the majority on this one but I really think we'd struggle against a team with a one or two goal advantage to take to Withdean for the second leg.

I'm not claiming it would be easy but surely we would rather chase a game at Withdean than away from home.

We were lucky at Bristol but not extremly. They didn't have that many clear cut, must score, chances. We won't be playing Bristol anyway - We're capable of coming back from Swindon/Pool/Vale with something. Our players "up it" against the better teams in big games.

If we're at home first and don't win or only win narrowly then we'll go away and have to hold on to it. The first leg is ALWAYS tighter with neither side wanting to lose. The second leg would be more open. As our away form is dodgy we're better off playing away when the result doesn't decide the final outcome.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Turkey said:
I'm not claiming it would be easy but surely we would rather chase a game at Withdean than away from home.

We were lucky at Bristol but not extremly. They didn't have that many clear cut, must score, chances. We won't be playing Bristol anyway - We're capable of coming back from Swindon/Pool/Vale with something. Our players "up it" against the better teams in big games.

If we're at home first and don't win or only win narrowly then we'll go away and have to hold on to it. The first leg is ALWAYS tighter with neither side wanting to lose. The second leg would be more open. As our away form is dodgy we're better off playing away when the result doesn't decide the final outcome.

Some good points here Turkey but I'd still prefer to take a lead away than try and overcome a deficit at home. We're going to have to disagree.

All very exciting though, I can hardly wait for the play-offs to start. Do away goals count double?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Away leg first and thus put the psycological pressure on Swindon.

kevinsmith

Jan 25, 2004
Portslade
On our day(which has not been often enough away from home)
we are good enough to secure a draw. Therefore it has to be the away leg 1st. Chasing a game at Withdean would be to much for the nerves as an away goal by the visitors could spell the end.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Yeah but we get beat away most of the time and reckon it will be to much for us to break teams down for the 2nd.

Home first is our best chance:)

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
away first for reasons given above

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Christ we hardly score as it is and look at rushden and nearly notts.
Its clear to see we need a home game first as this side isn't good enough to break down teams and not to mention overturn a possible deficit:)

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
would hate to chase a game away from home. but a good solid defensive display away 1st should see us through.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here