Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Best team of the Premier League Era

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
My son and I are on holiday and killing time around the pool. These are our best sides of the Premier League era. What’s yours?

His

RDZ

—————-Ryan—————-
Gross—White—-Dunk—Cucu
——-Caicedo-Bissouma——-
—-March—Ali Mac—Mitoma-
—————Trossard————

Subs Bart, Estupinan, JPVH, Veltman, Pedro, Enciso, Gilmour

Mine

Potter

————-Verbruggen———
White—Dunk—JPVH—Cucu
———-Gross-Caiceido——-
—-March—Ali Mac-Mitoma-
—————-Pedro————-

Subs Sanchez, Estupinan, Veltman, Bissouma, Trossard, Welbeck, Enciso

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Goalkeeper fail :smile:

Or maybe I am misunderstanding why an RDZ team has Ryan in goal. Are we naming the best manager and the best players available since we reached the Pl, rather than the actual players available at the time?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Tough question.

How to fit gross, ally Mac, bissouma and caiceido into the same midfield?

I think I'd go:

Sanchez
White Dunk Colwill Estupinian
Gross caicedo ally Mac
Trossard Pedro mitoma

Subs: veltman, jpvh, cucu, bissouma, March, Enciso, Welbeck

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
RDZ
Bart
White Dunk Veltman Estupinan
Gross Caicedo MacAllister
March Ferguson Mitoma

Subs Ryan, Colwill, Bruno,Cucarella, Bissouma, Trossard, Pedro

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Got to be the Notts County team of the 91/92 PL season surely? .....Oh, you mean the best BHA team! Doh!
:rock: :lol::thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Poor effort in the 'look I'm on holiday' stakes - no mention of where to increase the levels of envy on NSC
Think he needs some education

@Skaville , you need to start a thread Can anyone recommend a bar in <insert location> showing the Everton game please?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Goalkeeper fail :smile:

Or maybe I am misunderstanding why an RDZ team has Ryan in goal. Are we naming the best manager and the best players available since we reached the Pl, rather than the actual players available at the time?

The best team, manager and subs you can make from any who have played across the past seven years.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Think he needs some education

@Skaville , you need to start a thread Can anyone recommend a bar in <insert location> showing the Everton game please?

:)

If anyone can recommend a bar in Mlini with the Everton game I would be impressed. We’re starting to travel home just as the game ends. I traveled back from Hurghada last year during a Brighton game. I have never seen an airport with so many screens showing a football match. The score; Brighton 1 Everton 5

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
RDZ
Verbruggen
Veltman, Van Hecke, Dunk, Estupinian
Gross, Caicedo
Trossard, MacAllister, Mitoma
Pedro

Subs:
Sanchez, Cucurella, White, Colwill, Bissouma, Gilmour, Enciso, March, Welbeck

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Ben White is always a tricky one with these. Undeniably an outstanding player as the fact he is a regular in Arsenal’s team shows. Was great for us but not in that ‘how will we cope without him’ stratosphere where Caicedo, Macallister, Gross and arguably Bissouma might claim to be. The majority of his games for us were all behind closed doors so never really felt much of a connection with him. Compare that to Veltman who has endeared himself enormously to the club and been a Mr Reliable at right back and it’s tempting to lean towards Joel.

Also, depends on if we are picking the team based on on how good a player was purely with us or how good he is beyond us. If we’re going on the latter, then White has become a better footballer than Veltman in most departments, bar possibly tackling.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Trossard, Gross, Cucu, Ali Mac, Dunk plus some others.

Our team that got us to Europe mostly featured Sanchez I think, so as controversial as it is given how his Albion career ended, I'll put him in goal.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Manager is a tough choice. Chris Hughton had the difficult task of keeping a freshly promoted team in the league. Graham Potter had the difficult task of turning that team of rugged old fighters into a team that could not only survive but compete in the league. Both succeeded. But I'm going with Graham Potter - continuous improvement over an extended time is the best measurement of a manager.

Goalkeeper is easy. Robert Sanchez is the only one who statistically managed to compete with the best goalies in the league, and it was also with Sanchez in goal the team was at its best. I do expect Verbruggen to surpass him after this season.

Left back is Dan Burn. While Pervis and Cucurella have a different top level in them, Burn being solid and consistent for several years puts him ahead of both of them, though a decent season for Pervis will change it.

Central defenders Lewis Dunk, obviously, and he'll play next to Ben White who mainly gets his spot in the team through sheer quality.

Right back would have to be Joel Veltman. Finding top quality wing backs is difficult and many teams suffer year after year from not being able to fill one or both of the positions. Veltman is not a spectacular player but his job to keep "crisis-level-of-RB-deficiency" under control has been too valuable to opt out of.

Central midfield: Bissouma, Caicedo and Mac Allister. None of them need any sort of explanation.

On the wings, Pascal Gross will take the right side (but he goes where he wants obviously!) and Mitoma the left side.

As the lone striker, I'm finding myself in the same position both Potter and De Zerbi did on occasion - "well, I guess I have to play Trossard there".

Leaving me with this best team:

Sanchez
Veltman, Dunk, White, Burn
Bissouma, Caicedo, Mac Allister
Gross, Trossard, Mitoma

Subs: Verbruggen, Webster, Van Hecke, Duffy, Pervis, March, Stephens, Murray, Maupay, Welbeck

Plenty from the current team knocking loudly on the door though... I expect this eleven to look fair bit different in a year.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
RDZ

Verbruggen

Lamptey (pre-injury)
Dunk
Van Hecke
Estupinian

Gross
Caicedo

March
MacAllister
Mitoma

Pedro

Subs: Ryan, Cucurella, White, Veltman, Gilmour, Bissouma, Izquierdo (pre-injury), Welbeck, Murray

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here