Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Save at an Albion Match?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is Boggles save from Hammond the best flying save you have ever seen at an Albion match?

The best save I have ever seen was the Gordon Banks one versus Pele.

Otherwise the best one I had seen was one by a Hull City keeper in the sixties.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
It was like watching Ron Weasley in a game of quidditch.

Bogdan kept them in it all the way towards the final whistle.

bha25

IN GUS WE TRUST !
Jan 9, 2010
Copthorne
Kuipers V Bristol City and Kuipers V Blackpool

Both outstandingly astonishing.

The one against Bristol City was unreal i was stood right behind it. Was amazing!! Blackpool i cant think which save it was? But i remember Double Save at Wolves from Kiupers that was something fantasitc save

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Eric Steele v WBA - described as better than Banks - how on earth i remember that I do not know

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Can't remember a specific save, but remember Neville Southall playing an absolute blinder for Torquay at Withers a few years back, and many many moons ago I remember absolutely mullering Pompey down at Fratton but the result was 0-0 thanks to Alan Knight.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Alan Knight save for Portsmouth. We were away. Knight ended up flat on the floor after a scramble and (cannot remember the player) an Albion player drove the ball what seemed like a 100 MPH towards the goal from about 8 yards out, Knight somehow got up quick enough to put it over the bar. The whole move happened in a split second but it was a stunning save and i could not believe we had not scored

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is Boggles save from Hammond the best flying save you have ever seen at an Albion match?
No because my Albion history stretches for longer than 48 hours.

Graham Moseley going one way then t'other.

Hammonds shot was beautifully placed but seemed to take an age to get there.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
Graham Moseley v Everton 81-82 season. Peter Eastoe header was somehow saved, v reminiscent of Banks v Pele save.

Mar 13, 2012
Graham Moseley v Everton 81-82 season. Peter Eastoe header was somehow saved, v reminiscent of Banks v Pele save.

I can still clearly remember this. Headed down to keepers right (in front of North Stand if age not getting to me) and he pushed it over the bar. Amazed someone else recalls this - Is it on film? Would love to see again to see if it was as good as I remember.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
From my perspective, immediately behind the goal, it seemed to be not much more than a competent save that any half-way decent goalkeeper would have achieved.

Way to pour cold water on the OP's excitement :thumbsup:

I'm with you though. A good save but he had loads of time to see it. Wouldn't even make my top 100 best saves. I was more surprised thsn anything when it hit the bar. Probably looked more spectacular from the north where it wouldn't have been easy to judge the pace on the shot.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I can still clearly remember this. Headed down to keepers right (in front of North Stand if age not getting to me) and he pushed it over the bar. Amazed someone else recalls this - Is it on film? Would love to see again to see if it was as good as I remember.

Spot on. The highlights were on motd so I imagine it's still in BBC archives. May even be on YouTube. We won 3-1 with goals from Grealish, Ryan, and Foster.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Eric Steele away to Spurs in '77 was on a par with Kuipers' save against Blackpool.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
From my perspective, immediately behind the goal, it seemed to be not much more than a competent save that any half-way decent goalkeeper would have achieved.

I agree with that and also most of the saves he made were routine saves at the perfect height for a keeper. I think that he and his manger would have been disappointed if he didn't make the saves he did. As MA once told me, when I remarked about a Kuipers save "that is what he is paid to do and if he couldn't do it he wouldn't be playing for us".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here