Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Best roofing for a shed....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have a chalet which is 4.5 *4.5 metres. The original supplied felt lasted one year before it split. I took it off and replaced it with IKO super roof felt from Wickes which was their 'better' and more expensive product . I did a 6 inch overlap , nailed every 6 inches and a small amount of sealant on the edge. Still looks ok but after 5 years its leaking, the felt is expected to have a 10 year life span.

I am looking at whether to go over it with a new felt (if so which one) or painting it with one of the sealants that are available. (again any recommendations).

I should add their is not a great pitch on this roof....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I bought the most expensive Wickes felt and it lasts. Was there any give in the felt mid sheet to make it susceptible to our very high winds? I used a tar adhesive in spots underneath and a line of clout nails too where there was a mini beam underneath.

When reroofing, I stripped all the old stuff for a smooth board to start afresh.

There are rubber or Onduline alternatives that people rate, but not worth it for our old summerhouse.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
I roofed my shed with this stuff from Southern sheeting about 10 years ago and it still looks good as new today. The down side is that you do get a fair bit of condensation in the winter months.
1718176061051.png

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'd recommend rubber (EDPM). Lots of places selling online. Great stuff which will last years.

100% This. Fitted it many times and it's light years better than shed felt.

I put it on my garden office and had some left over to do my garden shed with and it's lasted longer than the expensive Wickes stuff that I've used in the past. The positioning of my house means I get battered by the SW winds, there's literally nothing but a lamppost between me and Normandy (and a bit of water that doesn't stop wind).

Means you need to take off what you have on there now but it'll be worth it in the end.

Depends where you live, you might be able to pick up an offcut or adhesive cheap off FB Marketplace.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Maybe pop down to the caravans parked in Preston Park and ask? They're into this sort of thing.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I'd recommend rubber (EDPM). Lots of places selling online. Great stuff which will last years.
I’ve got it on my shed roof, brilliant stuff. I was worried at first as I get a lot of birds in my garden including seagulls and pigeons and thought they may peck at it. It’s still as good as new, seven years on.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I have a chalet which is 4.5 *4.5 metres. The original supplied felt lasted one year before it split. I took it off and replaced it with IKO super roof felt from Wickes which was their 'better' and more expensive product . I did a 6 inch overlap , nailed every 6 inches and a small amount of sealant on the edge. Still looks ok but after 5 years its leaking, the felt is expected to have a 10 year life span.

I am looking at whether to go over it with a new felt (if so which one) or painting it with one of the sealants that are available. (again any recommendations).

Btw, those sealants are only as good as the surface they are painted on. I've used Acrypol in the past to carry out repairs on leaking flat roofs and it's pretty good, but should the felt fail underneath, it's completely useless.

As a shorter solution they are ok, but if you want to do it so you don't want to touch it again for 10 years or more, EPDM all the way imo. If you are half decent in DIY then you can do it yourself. It's pretty heavy so you'll need a hand lifting it up.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I bought the most expensive Wickes felt and it lasts. Was there any give in the felt mid sheet to make it susceptible to our very high winds? I used a tar adhesive in spots underneath and a line of clout nails too where there was a mini beam underneath.

When reroofing, I stripped all the old stuff for a smooth board to start afresh.

There are rubber or Onduline alternatives that people rate, but not worth it for our old summerhouse.
Looks like we have done the same thing but with different results... The felt looks ok , been up on the roof to check it out, no obvious issues and nice and flat (best roofing felt job I have done) . I think I am going to do a water test with the hose to see if that can show the issue.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
100% This. Fitted it many times and it's light years better than shed felt.

I put it on my garden office and had some left over to do my garden shed with and it's lasted longer than the expensive Wickes stuff that I've used in the past. The positioning of my house means I get battered by the SW winds, there's literally nothing but a lamppost between me and Normandy (and a bit of water that doesn't stop wind).

Means you need to take off what you have on there now but it'll be worth it in the end.

Depends where you live, you might be able to pick up an offcut or adhesive cheap off FB Marketplace.
Thanks.... EDPM does look like a good option.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Another endorsement for rubber roofing EPDM. I have it on my flat-roofed utility room, and it has never leaked once, since it was installed around the turn of the century. I didn't do it myself - I had it professionally installed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Looks like we have done the same thing but with different results... The felt looks ok , been up on the roof to check it out, no obvious issues and nice and flat (best roofing felt job I have done) . I think I am going to do a water test with the hose to see if that can show the issue.

I tried the cheaper Wickes stuff, but after 2 or 3 storm force winters on the Withdean hill top, it failed.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Why not try Dockerills for advice?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A bit of old polycarbonate roof panel from a neighbours old conservatory - topped with some salvaged slates from when another neighbour was re-roofing their house. Works a treat!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here