Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

best FOREIGN player for brighton?

Oct 25, 2003
who is the best foreign player (non british isles) you have seen for the ALBION?

apart from turienzo obviously, as he is clearly number one

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Sergei Gotsmanov, he had played something like 50 times for the USSR, how we managed to sign someone of that quality is a mystery to me.

However, I reckon that our two Dutchmen (Kraay and Kuijpers) deserve honourable mentions in dispatches as they both gave sterling service, regardless of the fallings out they may have had with the club and management.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Gotsmanov was a fantastic player. He was one of the very first russian players to come to Britain and was a revelation. I seem to remember that it was some deal between Barry Lloyd and some local Russian business man. I think Gotsmanov was paid peanuts by us so went to Southampton as soon as the chance came along.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Israeli Moshe Gariani wasn't that great but inspired the classic West Stand wag comment "don't give the f***ing ball away, sell it" :lolol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Definately Gotsmanov. Class player.

I remember being in the North stand one match and the crowd were singing "Sergei Sergei gizza wave" which he obviously didn't understand, until Gary Nelson (I think) tapped him on the shoulder and gestured to him he should wave to the stand.
:wave: :lolol:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes Pasty, I was at that game too, as I remember he kept winking at us, somewhat bizarre but what a diamond he was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here