Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best Black Footballer

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Watched the 'Black Flash' programme on BBC4 last night. Terrific show, and highlighted the struggle that black players have had in overcoming prejudice in the English game ( some of us can still recall the bigoted reaction of certain Albion fans when Chris Ramsey broke into the team in the early 80's)

The winner of the best Black player in British football vote was.................... Henrik Larsson, no doubt that Leo Fortune-West, who was on £9,000 a week at Cardiff, was not far behind as the fans favourite

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Best of all time, Ian Wirght was second in the vote and John Barnes third

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
El Presidente said:
The winner of the best Black player in British football vote was.................... Henrik Larsson, no doubt that Leo Fortune-West, who was on £9,000 a week at Cardiff, was not far behind as the fans favourite

Leo was on £9,000 a week? Where on earth did you get that nonsense from El Pres? I think if you divided that figure by three you'd be a lot closer to the mark!

I notice the big man scored again for Doncaster yesterday and set up another with a terrific pass. Whilst he's not exactly the most talented footballer in the League, he's certainly effective in the lower divisions. It's no coincidence that he has played in four promoted teams.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Didn't see the show but I would put John Barnes at the top of the list of home-grown players and he had to put up with a barrage of abuse, particularly from Everton fans.

The worst incident of mass racist abuse I have heard at Brighton came at a home game in about 1973/4. Our opponents, may have been Huddersfield, brought on a young black player as sub. The poor lad faced a chorus of monkey noises from the West Stand seats, this was not just a handful of people and it grew louder every time he got the ball. In the end he couldn't cope with it and had to be taken off. Worth remembering when we don rose tinted spectacles when considering the past.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
peter smith?:lolol:

Eric Young was class! His favourite trick was trying to dribble the ball away when on the six yard line, instead of just hoofing it like any other donkey-like centre back.

Heart was always in the mouth when he had possession, but despite looking clumsy, he rarely got caught out.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Theres a point, i don't believe theres been a Packham MoM thread on this board!:eek:

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
Biscuit said:

Before my time on NSC, but I do believe that HS said something like "I thought Will Packham had a good game yesterday" when actually FDM was in goal. I thought that Danny Seagull might have been referring to this....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Didn't see the show, but surely the 'Three Degrees' of Regis, Cunningham and Batson at West Brom were the real groundbreakers. It was the first time any Brit team had fielded three black players and I have vague memories of watching MOTD, or whatever it was called then, and practically the whole ground vibrating with the sound of racist bile whenever one of them even looked at the ball. Shocking, and not so long ago either.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Best Orange Footballer?

Wes Brown

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here