Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
So...there we are. Ho hum.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
I used to laugh at his jokes until I was reprogrammed by the State and reminded of my duty not to laugh at unapproved material.

rospants

off to ronan in the park!
Jul 11, 2005
brighton
not that i found him particularly funny, but RIP bernard, news says he died of kidney failure

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Used to have the pleasure of going past his club every day when I lived in Manchester. Will be sorely missed. Not sure who by though.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
hmmmm reckon a few fireworks in this thread, horrible way to go but i know alot of people really hated his belittled views and comedy so interesting to see how this thread goes..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I was at one of his last ever gigs - The Metropole Hotel in Brighton on April 20. In fact, I was part of the committee that put him on...

He was very ill then and did the gig sitting down. He had to be helped on and off the stage. He was never my cup of tea, but he did bring the house down, which, as a professional comedian is the way to go.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've been having another bad day until this excellent news came in. Should cheer me this evening now. Thank you MoH. I still have dreams of Abbot's demise, perhaps hanging himself dressed as a Scotsman, or having exploded himself, bits of Cooperman's unkillable parts daubed all over his millionaire hive.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
wouldn't it have been better to have realised that he was rather offensive all on your own?

Because he actually wasn't that offensive, he was just very easy for the right-on brigade to target - he saw nothing wrong with his humour because that was what he had been doing most of his life, and they made people laugh. He told the jokes that lots of people found funny because they actually were funny jokes. Yes, they picked on minorities, but do we not do something similar with the pikies of SE22 on here? They were jokes that fitted the time, until we all became so painfully enlightened.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Will there be a minute's silence and black armbands?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Because he actually wasn't that offensive, he was just very easy for the right-on brigade to target - he saw nothing wrong with his humour because that was what he had been doing most of his life, and they made people laugh. He told the jokes that lots of people found funny because they actually were funny jokes. Yes, they picked on minorities, but do we not do something similar with the pikies of SE22 on here? They were jokes that fitted the time, until we all became so painfully enlightened.

Although I think you and I are going to disagree in our opinions on the nature of his material, for comic timing, he couldn't be touched. But then, you don't remain at the top of your profession by being rubbish.

Like I said, I was there at one of his last ever gigs, and though I was dreading it - justifiably as it turned out, there were plenty of 'paki' and 'wog' jokes - the rest of the material was fairly mundane, but delivered with some superb timing that it turned an silly gag into a very funny one. So while I could never stomach much of his material, as a comic, he was excellent.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Although I think you and I are going to disagree in our opinions on the nature of his material, for comic timing, he couldn't be touched. But then, you don't remain at the top of your profession by being rubbish.

Like I said, I was there at one of his last ever gigs, and though I was dreading it - justifiably as it turned out, there were plenty of 'paki' and 'wog' jokes - the rest of the material was fairly mundane, but delivered with some superb timing that it turned an silly gag into a very funny one. So while I could never stomach much of his material, as a comic, he was excellent.

I saw him in Bridgend a few years ago, my wife only came along cos i was going, she didnt really want to see him because of his reputation, she will tell you, he was SO Funny

Lots of people would not of liked his humour, and i respect there opinions, but as the man would say himself.....................................

If you dont like what i do.......................Dont come and see me and just f*** OFF:lolol::lolol:

RIP Bernard

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Comic genius - will be sorely missed.

We live in very strange times in this country at the moment.

As has just been said, nobody forced you to go and watch the guy.

Its the ones that go to shows of this nature, then complain, that are the real morons!!

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford

We are probably closer to agreement than you imagine. BM was ultimately just a slightly more offensive version of Ken Dodd, to be honest.

The "paki" and "Wog" jokes were realistically no better nor worse than the Irish jokes before them, and even the anti-French jokes from the time of Nelson, and the immigrant jokes of today that focus on Eastern Europeans or Middle Easterners (is that a word?). People ridicule those that they are most fearful of, it humanises and caricatures them. It's when it demonises them, like the Germans did to the Jews in the 1940s, that you have problems.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

He was hardly at the top of his profession! He owned a run-down club, and did shitty PAs around the country. No offence, like.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Used to have the pleasure of going past his club every day when I lived in Manchester. Will be sorely missed. Not sure who by though.

Same as..used to drive past it on my travels into manchester....

where did you live les?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here