Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bergkamp

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Not in the reserve team squad against Torquay tonight. Other than warming the bench against Gillingham has Roland played at all since pre season?

Surely he isn't that bad if he's played in the top Division in Holland?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Injury seems most likely, or is he away on International duty with the U21s?

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I would say stick him out on loan for a month. That month will be a good indication to see if he's got any talent.
He's no where near the 1st Team, let alone the reserves, so loan Football will suit him and us.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I thought it was odd that they'd called it the reserves, as they've been very careful to call them the development squad of late. Is this different?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No,,he is that bad...so ive been told.

Depends on who you compare him with. He looks better than Holroyd and held the ball up quite well in pre season games a lot better than Sandaza could. I would suggest that he is probably not on a high wage so is worth sticking with to see how he developes in the developement squad which is what it is for.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He's just bad, remember that 'rumour' where someone suggested he was solely Stephensons signing and Gus thought he was shit and he looked shit in training, but you all said it MUST be a lie, well it wasn't.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There are rumours of an injury and there are rumours that he wasn't Gus' choice to bring to the club and isn't wanted. There are also rumours that he is so bad in training that he will never be selected (being on the bench against the Gills rather goes against that IMO).

I rather think that the time will come, possibly quite soon, that the club ought to clarify his situation - it could be done quite easily by either putting him on the bench a couple of times (especially in a seven sub game) if he is fit and good enough, or by unofficially leaking the real situation through the press - or maybe even by loaning him out? What can't be allowed for too long is idle speculation to build up off the back off his becoming something of a non-person.

It doesn't help that the OS is something of a shambles in terms of acknowledging that we have a Development Squad distinct from the first team or listing its results (although it does give news reports on their games) - someone really does need to get to grips with that.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Who the hell knows? Someone ask in Dick's Bar :)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I thought it was odd that they'd called it the reserves, as they've been very careful to call them the development squad of late. Is this different?

Apparently we have 1st team reserves who are close to playing 1st team football and a Development Squad

There are not enough 1st team reserves to put out a team, so they are joined by the most promising players on the Development Squad when they have a match.

Hope that's clear.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
He's just bad, remember that 'rumour' where someone suggested he was solely Stephensons signing and Gus thought he was shit and he looked shit in training, but you all said it MUST be a lie, well it wasn't.

That was my thread, hopefully he will get a chance, but by all accounts it wont be happening for a while.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Apparently we have 1st team reserves who are close to playing 1st team football and a Development Squad

There are not enough 1st team reserves to put out a team, so they are joined by the most promising players on the Development Squad when they have a match.

Hope that's clear.

Very clear and something I've wondered about for a while. Thanks :thumbsup:

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Don't know if he is still injured but when I spoke to him and Vincelot before the Peterborough game, he said he's carrying an injury.

somersetwest

Sep 25, 2005
Brighton
I feel sorry for him. If Gus doesn't rate Bergkamp and has no intention of picking him then he should send him out on loan, where at least he'll be in the 'shop window', or back to Holland, where at least he won't be homesick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here