Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Before mobile phones.

murciagull

Nov 27, 2006
Murcia
Before mobile phones and all the new technology available, on the occasions you couldn't get the match and were dragged round the shops, at about twenty to five, have you ever joined the small bunch of guys outside TV show rooms watching the vidiprinter for the Albion score?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes...also watched snooker, rugby, cricket, longingly through Currys window...

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yes, and occasionally I still do (much to my wife's bemusement!)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If I wasnt at The Goldstone I was at Woodside Road so used to rush home to listen to Sports Report and either me or dad would write the scores down as they said them and there was a deadly hush in the house until they had all finished so dad could check his pools. That was before people had TVs.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The old BBC printer use to be the best as it made it more exciting as it was slow, I can remember playing guess the team as each letter came up

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Before mobile phones and all the new technology available, on the occasions you couldn't get the match and were dragged round the shops, at about twenty to five, have you ever joined the small bunch of guys outside TV show rooms watching the vidiprinter for the Albion score?

Used to love doing that. Now just refresh the internet on my blackberry every five minutes or so when being dragged around the shops on a Saturday afternoon. It drives my wife bonkers.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To answer my own question regarding James Alexander Gordon taken from Wikepedia;

James Alexander Gordon is a radio broadcaster for BBC Radio Five Live. He brings the classified check of the football results every Saturday at 5 o'clock on Sports Report.

Gordon was born in Edinburgh in February 1936. [1] During his youth he was paralyzed with polio and he spent a large part of his childhood in hospital. [2] He worked in music publishing before joining the BBC in 1972, becoming an announcer and newsreader (mostly on Radio 2) until the early 1990s. In 1974 he followed in the footsteps of John Webster, reading the classified football results, first on Radio 2 and later on Five Live.

He has a distinguished voice and is known to pronounce "Wanderers", in the name of several football clubs, as "Wanderer-ers". He famously uses his inflection, as he pronounces the names of the clubs, to indicate whether a match ended in a home win, away win or draw. [3]

James Alexander Gordon also works freelance, recording voice-overs and commenting on company videos. [4]

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Alexander_Gordon_(announcer)"

I'm just about old enough to remember when you pulled a bird in a club, you'd have to get a piece of paper and pen from behind the bar to get her number, then you'd have to brave ringing the landline and running the risk of her old man answering! :eek:

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
Certainly have.
Also got bored at some shopping mall last year when out with the ladyfriend so left her in the shops and sat outside currys watching an England game (shows how bored I was!)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It was the 66 World cup when I 1st took an interest in footie. It was probably because my mum took us shopping and every TV shop had crowds outside watching the matches.

Couldn't help but be intrigued.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here