Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beers no longer around?

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
Just watching an episode of Rumpole and a guys drinking a can of Long Life. Recall drinking draught Long Life all the time, in Liverpool arms haywards heath (also now gone)..any other beers you have "lost" over time
also Brickwoods bitter
Obviously Red Barrel
Draught DD

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
K&B old:down:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Is Harp Lager still around?

as I recall it "stayed sharp to the bottom if the glass"

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Party Fours and Sevens (thank God).

Haven't seen Mackeson is a while either but that's maybe because I'm not looking.

Colt 45 is still available in the US as far as I know but not seen it here.

Sep 12, 2006
From wiki:
Harp Lager was first produced in 1960 in the Dundalk Brewery as a bottled beer, in response to the trend among drinkers in Britain and Ireland toward continental lager. By 1961 it was brewed under an alliance of the brewing companies, Courage, Barclay & Simonds, Scottish & Newcastle, Bass, Mitchells, & Butlers and Guinness. These companies grouped together under the name of the Harp Lager Ltd. consortium. By 1964 it was being sold on draught and quickly lead its category in sales. Members of the Harp consortium changed over the years, with Courage and Scottish & Newcastle leaving in 1979 but becoming franchisees.
Dr. Herman Muendar, a distinguished German "Braumeister" was chosen to manage the new venture. He was eminently suited to the task, having gained considerable experience supervising and directing the re-building of war damaged breweries in the Ruhr area of Germany. And so Harp Lager was born, with the Brian Boru Harp as it emblem.
In 2005 Harp saw a makeover, Diageo Ireland separated the brand from Guinness and gave it a new look, with new advertisements appearing on TV. Ironically there is no longer an actual Harp on the design of the new tins and bottles as that logo belongs to Guinness

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
tuskerdr1.jpg

:(

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Worthington E
JB larger
Skol

gwpdylan

Jul 26, 2006
Stingo, barley wine, but in larger bottle than the traditional gold label size
Triple A barley wine...i tried to do 21 on my 21st b'day...mistake

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Mackeson is still around but doesnt sell much these days. Ones that I havent seen for years are Hofmeister & Tennants Extra.

Was in the pub the other day and some bloke asked for a pint of Black Label, haven't heard it called that for years!!!!

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Most of the beers I used to drink when I first started frequenting pubs are no more.

Tamplins
Stag
K & B Festive

at least we still have Harveys :drink:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Every company had their own versions of Light Ale, Brown Ale, Stout and Barley wine but they have all gone by the way side with the buying up of companies.

I am sure that I read somewhere that all light ale is now produced and bottled for other companies by Devenish Beers of Dorset.

Does anybody remember Watneys Starlight that was the minimum strength to be classed as alcoholic and was 'invented' specifically for rugby clubs so that the players could drink 10 - 15 pints and not get drunk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here