Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beckham's Booking

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Everyone in the media during and after the game was slating Beckham for the tackle/shoulder barge that he was shown the yellow card for, saying it was a reckless tackle.

Surely there's a possibility that he did this deliberately? After all, it'd be better for him to miss the Azerbaijan game than one of the others. It would get the threat of suspension for one of the other games lifted, and also give him a chance to get over the broken rib.

I think it was a good move...

Albion Rob

Yeah, I reckon that too. You could see how much he was wincing when Gary Lewin sent him back on. He must have known there was no way he would be fit for Wednesday there and then so just gave Thatcher a kick. Bit of revenge too I suppose. Would hav backfired specyacularly if he had been sent off but I got th impression he knw exactly what he was doing.

Having said that and having seen every team in the group except Northern Ireland and Azerbajan, there don't really seem to be any tough games for him to miss!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I think it was pretty obvious that he knew what he was doing, the tackle was incredibly late and reckless but not bad enough to warrant a red.

And, of course, he's done it before. Well played, David!

:clap2:

Albion Rob

Stumpy Tim said:
It was retaliation pure & simple. Typical example of people complicating an obvious situation.

Maybe. Odd that he would go back on, commit the foul, get booked, then come straight off though. Surely if the injury was that bad he would have come straight off.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
It was retaliation pure & simple. Typical example of people complicating an obvious situation.
Spot on. I'd put money on the fact the Beckham wasn't even aware that two yellows meant he'd miss azerbywhatsit.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm 99% sure that Beckham has done this in the Champions League for United before and would not be surprised if he did it again. He's clever than people give him credit for.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I'm 99% sure that Beckham has done this in the Champions League for United before and would not be surprised if he did it again. He's clever than people give him credit for.

I remember him doing it once after they qualified out of the group stages !!

What a goal though, one of those special Beckham moments :clap:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Steve Foster tried to get sent off in the last game before the Cup Final which meant he could appeal and play. He got booked early on and spent the rest of the game trying to get sent off. Apparently he commited something like 30 fouls!

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
D'Angelo Saxon said:
Everyone in the media during and after the game was slating Beckham for the tackle/shoulder barge that he was shown the yellow card for, saying it was a reckless tackle.

Surely there's a possibility that he did this deliberately? After all, it'd be better for him to miss the Azerbaijan game than one of the others. It would get the threat of suspension for one of the other games lifted, and also give him a chance to get over the broken rib.

I think it was a good move...

He's not that bright! :lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Surely if he is injured, then he will not be available for Wednesdays game, therefore his suspension will not start until he is available for selection.

Or have the rules changed on this point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here