Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bear Grylls

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just watching it and seen many of them and the guy definitely knows his stuff and it makes great TV. But when he makes up his bed for the night, where does the cameraman sleep?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I do like the Bear Grylls stuff, and he is definitely a double hard bastard but they've admitted before that they don't actually sleep outside - it's all edited for TV, they bugger off to a 5* hotel

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Sorry dude, I was a bit gutted when I found out.

At the end of the day though, you can't fake a lot of the shit he does on camera, like getting stung in the face by a bee, eating the inside of a dead camel or drinking shit water :lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Sorry dude, I was a bit gutted when I found out.

At the end of the day though, you can't fake a lot of the shit he does on camera, like getting stung in the face by a bee, eating the inside of a dead camel or drinking shit water :lolol:

I love it... read up on a bit of his life... bit of a Hooray Henry by all accounts, son of an ex Tory MP that got knighted and lived the upper class life in his formative years. But he's done shit loads of stuff you wouldn't expect from someone of his 'stock'... and he's the head bloke of the Scouting movement now.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yeah definitely lead an interesting life, I'd like to know a bit more about him to be honest. Heard the story about when he broke his back skydiving.

I love the show as it's entertaining, but take it all with a pinch of salt. He's trying to demonstrate survival techniques, but some of the suf he does he gets away with because he's a shithot rock climber, normal people would never do the stuff he does.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
By coincidence, he was also live at the Brighton centre last night - anyone go?

I watched one recently where he had to cut up a camel to demonstrate to some desert tribe he could match them.

In searing Saharan heat, he cut the camel open, ripped out the considerable intestines and dragged them away from the carcass, drank the fluid he squeezed from digested food left in it's stomach (excrement basically), drank the water stored in the camel, actually got into the hollowed-out camel for shelter, cooked it's meat and finally, used the camel skin for a blanket and it's head as a pillow (at this point, his clothes had a lot of dried blood on). You can't fake any of that - the guy is a legend!

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
I do like the Bear Grylls stuff, and he is definitely a double hard bastard but they've admitted before that they don't actually sleep outside - it's all edited for TV, they bugger off to a 5* hotel

That is part of the reason why I prefer "Survivorman". Not sure if it gets shown across the pond but the bloke (Les Stroud) gets dropped off for a week on his own. He records everything himself and spends every minute in the wild. He did an episode not far (300km) from my home town in the middle of the Northern Ontariop bush...in JANUARY...so basically he spent 7 days in -40 over night and -30 during the day temps. Much better IMO

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
I went to see him last night. Thought it was very intresting. Lots of anecdotes and footage from the shows, plus a bit of firemaking and grubb-eating to boot. Hoped he might parachute into the Brighton Centre through a skylight to start the show but instead we had to make do with him abseiling down from the rigging after hanging upside down for a bit.

Enjoyable evening and came across as a really nice guy.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
who do you think would win in a fight to the death between grylls and ray mears?

Of the two I think Ray Mears has the edge, Mears gets into the culture of the people in his progs whereas Grylls tends to thrive on solitude. Oh,apart from the Crew with him

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Really ??? Privileged little rich boy with a good PR team I always thought. I am amazed that anyone would pay £35-40 to go and watch him talk at The Brighton Centre.

Worked out at £50 per ticket all in all. Bit of a greedy c*&t really.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Really ??? Privileged little rich boy with a good PR team I always thought. I am amazed that anyone would pay £35-40 to go and watch him talk at The Brighton Centre.

Pretty narrow minded view. makes class TV whether he sleeps in 5* hotels or not. As well as the his camel antics mentioned above the blokes bitten the head of a snake before and whatever people say he is seriously knowledgeable as well as being former SAS. Don't think being privileged or having a good PR team helps with most of the things listed really - he just knows a lot and is happy to do/eat/drink some pretty crazy stuff

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Pretty narrow minded view. makes class TV whether he sleeps in 5* hotels or not. As well as the his camel antics mentioned above the blokes bitten the head of a snake before and whatever people say he is seriously knowledgeable as well as being former SAS. Don't think being privileged or having a good PR team helps with most of the things listed really - he just knows a lot and is happy to do/eat/drink some pretty crazy stuff

It's all about opinions. A friend attends the same church as him and says he's fairly conceited (but then that's just his opinion). Reality TV is never 'reality' is it? No matter how many badger's ring pieces any one presenter can eat.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
It's all about opinions. A friend attends the same church as him and says he's fairly conceited (but then that's just his opinion). Reality TV is never 'reality' is it? No matter how many badger's ring pieces any one presenter can eat.

Fair point - he may well be a bit of a nob in real life and obviously whether you like his programs is a matter of opinion, just thought the original privileged little rich boy comment was a bit unfair based upon his TV shows. As for reality TV yeh I do agree it is misleading. But then I dont really blame him for not spending a night out in the open when it would probably only make a minute or two of the program - assume if they make it clear he's staying in a hotel it just makes it less interesting to people. I quite like his shows anyway

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here