Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC2 - Britains Favourite Sitcom

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
some mothers do ave em - frank spence rollerskating! :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Ok it is personal taste,some of us like the office some people like George and Mildred.:safeway2: :safeway2:

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
My fave is "Fawlty Towers", especially the episode where his car broke down and he beat it with the branch of a tree. I often feel like that about my car.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
right on bright on. thats wat i was going to say(about the offices popularity). by now it would be rated so highly. such a shame it finished. my beloved father ted put in a quite respectable place by the public, but im sure if they had all seen the over 80's priests football match it would have been number 1! brilliant

Am I missing it, or did The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy really fail to make even the top 100?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
WhitleyDennis said:
Am I missing it, or did The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy really fail to make even the top 100?

No it didn't. Strange though I'd have thought it would have been included.

Perhaps the consensus was not a sitcom ?

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
HHGTTG is not a sitcom.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
With every apology for reviving this thread, The Orifice, as has been pointed about above would (imho) have been in the top three, if not in the number two slot behind Fawlty Towers had this been a recently conducted poll. As for HHGTTG (imho) only sad twats who read fantasy novels/harry potter and salivate at the prospect of seing Lord of the Rings at the cinema could find anything watchable in that crap. :clap2: :salute:

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
1. Only Fools and Horses.
2. Fawlty Towers.
3. Vicar of Dibley.

Cannot understand how Fr. Ted didn't make the top 10. Feel it would have won if it had.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Can't believe safe, unoriginal and formulaic stuff like The Vicar of Dibley is in the Top Ten. A sad indictment of middle England's taste indeed.

Out of that ten, it has to be Fawlty Towers. Innovative, memorable, inspired - true genius. Blackadder my second vote for the originality of its conceit, Yes Minister third for the intelligence and skill of its humour.

Sadly I think Only Fools & Horses will probably walk this one, as the Sun/Mirror reading masses are so attached to it. Personally I think it's one joke done to death and verges more towards light entertainment than comedic genius, but there you go.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
shocking that the vicar of dibley made it even into the top 50 let alone the top 10.

fawlty towers should walk away with it and HOW THE HELL did hancock come in so low, below such utter piles of shite!!!

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Only fools and horses number one by far
2nd Blackadder
3rd Fawlty Towers

the rest are miles behind those three.

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Cheeky Monkey said:
With every apology for reviving this thread, The Orifice, as has been pointed about above would (imho) have been in the top three, if not in the number two slot behind Fawlty Towers had this been a recently conducted poll. As for HHGTTG (imho) only sad twats who read fantasy novels/harry potter and salivate at the prospect of seing Lord of the Rings at the cinema could find anything watchable in that crap. :clap2: :salute:

Don't read fantasy novels, or Harry potter, and have never seen lord of the rings at the cinema.

So that's your theory blown out the water isn't it.

But then its what i would expect from people who find the Orifice anything but boring,old,unoriginal wide of the mark crap. Easy target, missed by a country mile.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
marvin said:
But then its what i would expect from people who find the Orifice anything but boring,old,unoriginal wide of the mark crap. Easy target, missed by a country mile.

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

But then I'm salivating at the thought of seeing LOTR for the third time in eight days this afternoon, and fourth time overall. :clap2: :clap: :clap2: :clap:

I also feel sorry for anyone who doesn't recognise LOTR3 as an alltime classic film by any standards.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
sorry but Faulty twoers will not finish first!

1. Only fools and Horses
2. Blackadder
3. Either Faulty Towers or one foot in the grave

:clap2:

Rusco

Jul 8, 2003
Always Bringing Up The Rear
My three are:

1. Blackadder
2. Bottom
3. Porridge

Never made me laugh awards go to:

1. The office
2. Alan Partridge
3. League of gentlemen

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Talking of sitcoms - who remembers Mind Your Language?

Everyone seems agreed that it's blatantly racist (me included) but it's still running on Granada Plus. How do they get away with that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here