Next vote please

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Only fools
Fawlty towers
Dads army

Pheonix nights and The office will become classics over time, bit early for them to be at the orefront now though

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Right thats it...I warned you...but you would have it would you!

Fawlty towers, such a shame they only made 2 series.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
My fave three...

1. Only Fools And Horses
2. Porridge
3. One Foot In The Grave

Norrowly missing the cut...

4. In Sickness And In Health
5. Bottom
6. Some Mothers Do Ave Em

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Its quite suprising how few episodes some of the shows had. Fawlty Towers and the Young Ones being a couple for examples.

You can vote for the winner, but you have to choose from the Top Ten.

The full List:-

1 Blackadder
2 Dad's Army
3 Fawlty Towers
4 Good Life
5 One Foot in the Grave
6 Only Fools and Horses
7 Open All Hours
8 Porridge
9 Vicar of Dibley
10 Yes Minister
11 Father Ted
12 Keeping Up Appearances
13 'Allo 'Allo!
14 Last of the Summer Wine
15 Steptoe and Son
16 Men Behaving Badly
17 Absolutely Fabulous
18 Red Dwarf
19 The Royle Family
20 Are You Being Served?
21 To the Manor Born
22 Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
23 The Likely Lads
24 My Family
25 The Office
26 Drop the Dead Donkey
27 Rising Damp
28 Dinnerladies
29 As Time Goes By
30 Hancock's Half Hour
31 The Young Ones
32 Till Death Us Do Part
33 Butterflies
34 The Thin Blue Line
35 Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
36 Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights
37 Waiting for God
38 Birds of a Feather
39 Bread
40 Hi-De-Hi
41 The League of Gentlemen
42 I'm Alan Partridge
43 Just Good Friends
44 2.4 Children
45 Bottom
46 It Ain't Half Hot Mum
47 The Brittas Empire
48 Gimme Gimme Gimme
49 Rab C. Nesbitt
50 Goodnight Sweetheart
51 Up Pompeii
52 Ever Decreasing Circles
53 On the Buses
54 Coupling
55 George and Mildred
56 A Fine Romance
57 Citizen Smith
58 Black Books
59 The Liver Birds
60 Two Pints of Lager and...
61 The New Statesman
62 Sykes
63 Please, Sir!
64 Dear John
65 Barbara
66 Spaced
67 Bless this House
68 Love Thy Neighbour
69 Man About the House
70 Desmonds
71 Duty Free
72 All Gas and Gaiters
73 Happy Ever After/Terry & June
74 Only When I Laugh
75 Brass
76 The Rag Trade
77 Sorry
78 Kiss Me Kate
79 Doctor in the House
80 I Didn't Know You Cared
81 Shelley
82 Nearest and Dearest
83 Fresh Fields
84 The Army Game
85 Robin's Nest
86 The Dustbinmen
87 Whoops Apocalypse
88 My Wife Next Door
89 Never the Twain
90 Nightingales
91 Early Doors
92 Agony
93 The Lovers
94 Father Dear Father
95 Hot Metal
96 And Mother Makes...
97 Life With the Lyons
98 Marriage Lines
99 A Sharp Intake of Breath
100 No Problem

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
The corner quietly rusting
Originally posted by Lord Bracknell 20 Are You Being Served?
21 To the Manor Born
22 Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em
23 The Likely Lads
24 My Family
25 The Office

Ha ha ha ha the office did not even beat that lot! ha ha ha ha ha its about found its level although I would put Red Dwarf ahead of it not behind it.

The only argument I have with the top 10 is The Vicar of Dibley, deeply unfunny and not very good at all. Come on Cliff likes it, need I say more.

I would have problems sorting the top 9 out of the 10 as I like them all for different reasons.

But if forced and really the top 8 are all = in my eyes

1 Yes Minister, Still watch it still find new things to laugh at. Got the books too and they are just as funny.
2 Fawlty Towers, now for those who think that the office is genius, sit down and watch these, this is genius.
3 Only Fools and Horses, easy comfortable humour, just the ticket.
4 Porridge, again simple comfortable humour.
5 One Foot in the Grave, some think this was modelled on me you know...
6 Blackadder, at points challenging.
7 Dad's Army, simple etc.....
8 Open All Hours, simple etc....
9 Good Life (only really in the top ten because of one person...Ah!)

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
two many good ones to choose from there (some truly awful ones in there too! my family??) but I know my favourite 2

Alan Partridge
Fawlty Towers

Alan and Basil are the classic British comedy anti heroes.

love em:)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's certainly a list that reflects middle England. Most people I know (and I suspect most people on this list) would have had The Office in the top ten but we are very much in the minority.

I'm not convinced that Wilko's right and that it will be seen as a classic in years to come - it's an acquired taste that most of the population hasn't got. The fact that Last of the Summer Wine has been going for 30 years is an indication of how most of Britain likes its comedy: mild, inoffensive, quirky and unfunny.

Obviously, there is some challenging comedy about and people will vote for it but they tend to get a bit swamped in tide of mediocrity.

My own personal favourite is Whatever happened to the Likely Lads: a triumph that mixed (very funny) comedy with pathos: I was a bit surprised not to see that higher.

Still, apart from the Vicar of Dibley and Open All Hours (how the hell did that get there?), it's not a bad top 10.

I'm toying between voting for Fawlty Towers and Yes, Minister among that lot.

One other thing: have you noticed how few recent comedies make the list. Most of these sorts of list contain a heavy smattering of new stuff (best films, pop songs, sporting players etc), but, I think, that none of that top 10 made its first appearance in the last 10 years and the majority of them are about 25-30 years old. Is that a reflection on the poor quality of sitcoms these days? Is it, as Wilko suggests, that some programmes need time to be appreciated? Or is it that we're nostalgic for TV as it used to be?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
marvin said:
Ha ha ha ha the office did not even beat that lot! ha ha ha ha ha its about found its level although I would put Red Dwarf ahead of it not behind it.

Ahh, now relax Marvin and let the doctor explain your problem.

Deep down in your subconscious you clearly know that The Office is exceedingly funny. But your conscious persona won't let you admit that and this has your inner self confused. So you have developed an obsession with justifying your stance to the list, which really is a conflict with your own subconscious. It is an argument that you can never win, however. In this case you really want to believe that being at #25 represents failure on the part of the Office, and therefore a justification of your rebellion against your true self. You ignore the fact that #25 puts The Office above 75 other series, many of which you yourself find amusing. But once more, your inner self sees this and is confused. All it wants to do is laugh out loud but your consciousness wont allow this as to do so would be to admit defeat.

The answer is to take a deep breath and to allow your self a little joy in your life. Buy the DVDs, open a bottle of beer or two, and relax. Take a deep breath and I know you can do it.

That'll be £575 please.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Gwylan said:
That's certainly a list that reflects middle England. Most people I know (and I suspect most people on this list) would have had The Office in the top ten but we are very much in the minority.

Still, apart from the Vicar of Dibley and Open All Hours (how the hell did that get there?), it's not a bad top 10.

Well, cant agree on the office front, cant see how its funny at all but we all have our own views, Vicar of dibley though - thats an excellent show, very innocent and that Alice bird cracks me up!

Open all hours just annoys me, that ssssstutter really gets on my wick.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Going on that list and picking one it would have to be Fawlty Towers.

I really think that has every aspect of a comedy well written and well acted.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
1-Blackadder
2-Falwty Towers
3-Only Fools

I think Only Fools will walk this one! but for me Blackadder wins, would've been Red Dwarf if that made the top 10.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The reason the office isn't there is because it needs to stand the test of time - will we still laugh at it in 25 years time ?

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
Juan Albion said:

The answer is to take a deep breath and to allow your self a little joy in your life. Buy the DVDs, open a bottle of beer or two, and relax. Take a deep breath and I know you can do it.

That'll be £575 please.

Ah so that's what i'm missing, you need to be pissed to think this pile of poo has anything going for it.

Thankfully I don't drink so i shall always be looking at it in a sober way.

I will stop dishing up the anti office speil when the minority view that it is any good bugger off to their I love crap message board and not a BHA one.

It was the fact that "My Family" came a head of it I found most funny. Even that other pile of unattractive crap, some mothers do 'ave 'em finnished above it.

As to the give it time arguement, yes give it time and it will end up where it belongs, with bless this house.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Like Jonathan Woss said when the office came in at 25,this pole was done ages ago,he knew if it was done nowit would easily be top 10.:salute:

marvin

Jul 5, 2003
yep it may have done and the top 10 would have been the worse for it.

Just as TV is for this sycophantic no talent tosser.

How does he know that? It was done after the second series but before the christmas specials.

If after 2 series, still fresh in peoples minds it only manages no 25 how is it going to be up there in the top 10?

Get used to it, the office is liked to extreme by a minority of the UK viewing public.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here