Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Stats

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Apparently, Colchester had 53% of the possession tonight. Really??!

Apologies if someone has already posted this tidbit - whatever the word for that is. Oh yes, fixtures.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
thing is I highly doubt for (lower league games) there is a bloke with two stopwatches seeing how much time each team has with the ball. I would guess that the BBC report and others go on what the reporter sees...so therefore could be totally wrong, hence the Yeovil example above.

Also how many Shots on target last night? BBC reckons just 3 per side but my mate reckons we had 5!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Away to peterbrough we only had 48%. They were down to 10 ten and didn't touch the ball for large spells of the game.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
thing is I highly doubt for (lower league games) there is a bloke with two stopwatches seeing how much time each team has with the ball.

A mate of mine does the online commentary for UEFA.com for all the Dutch teams' home Champions League matches (in other words, his job finishes before Xmas most years...).

He says there is literally a bloke sitting next to him with two team buttons in front of him, whose job it is to record possession by holding his finger on one or the other according to who has the ball. It's as basic as that. The computer does the rest.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can anyone remember the 3 Colchester shots on target?!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
A mate of mine does the online commentary for UEFA.com for all the Dutch teams' home Champions League matches (in other words, his job finishes before Xmas most years...).

He says there is literally a bloke sitting next to him with two team buttons in front of him, whose job it is to record possession by holding his finger on one or the other according to who has the ball. It's as basic as that. The computer does the rest.

yeah thats probably what they use in Prem and Champions League/UEFA matches etc, I just cant see it happening with us IMO

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm highly dubious of those possession stats after that 81% vs Yeovil malarky, which was ridiculous (presumably the guy left the button on us while he went and got a burger or something). But 53% for Colchester last night wouldn't overly surprise me - they did have a fair amount of the ball in the 2nd half in particular, but without ever really hurting us.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
We did hit it long from a lot of goal kicks rather than trying to knock it about between the centre backs and goal keeper last night, so yeah 53% for Colchester wouldn't surprise me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here