Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC Sport Price of Football survey 2012 [merged]

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Every STH has a smart card. Whether they choose to top up first or not is another matter.

Yes I know...but thanks anyway. Btw do piglets have the clout to tell azure to heat the pies up better or is that a club decision?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Most expensive pie, second most expensive program in this division and 4th most expensive season ticket all be it £50 goes towards travel a season.

The cost of succsess or just a rip off?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Most expensive pie, second most expensive program in this division and 4th most expensive season ticket all be it £50 goes towards travel a season.

The cost of quality, I'd say.

We could go down the Pukka Pies / Carlsberg-Tetley route, but I feel Brighton fans are a tad more discerning.

It's quite bizarre that, despite the validity of the things you mention, the sales (per head) are, if not unprecedented, certainly way above the average in English football.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Actually thinking about it are the club going to do an "Albion Oyster" card for non STH?

Would make sense. Buy your ticket online and it gets loaded to the card (your seat gets conf in an email) and also can put your beer and pie money on there as well.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I do not think it is a rip off, it can certainly be put down to the price of success, aswell as the price of year sin administrative limbo.

However I think we do get good value. The Amex offers me the best in stadium experience that I have had on a regular basis. Good seats, good facilities, a decent pint and a decent pie, as well as open bars and 'free' travel. I would not swap this current matchday experience for anything. I'd be interested to hear if anyone who travels to away games regularly thinks that other stadia offer a comparable experience.

The interest free direct debit scheme for season tickets represents great value as does the 10per cent discount with the use of e-cash on the smart card which brings the price of refreshment down to a reasonable level.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

We could go down the Pukka Pies / Carlsberg/Tetley route, but I feel our fans are a tad more discerning.

It's quite bizarre that, despite the things you mention, the sales (per head) are unprecedented in English football.

The pie is a complete rip off, dry and generally tastless most of the time and most of the time not cooked properly too, i'd rather something cheaper if the quailty is not going to be that great. (regardless pies still sell well so not moaning)

Beer I couldnt care how much I pay, its only a couple of pints a game, whats an extra 80p on a couple of pints so i dont really mind.

Ticket prices i do generally think we are wll priced, however i do believe we over charge away fans just so they can sit in the east.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

We could go down the Pukka Pies / Carlsberg-Tetley route, but I feel Brighton fans are a tad more discerning.

It's quite bizarre that, despite the validity of the things you mention, the sales (per head) are, if not unprecedented, certainly way above the average in English football.
Which is all part of the match day package, for me and the Jnrs.

I wouldn't be eating Pukka or drinking Tetley's, or for that matter buying sweets from the shop.

It's not just about the football.

I love the ground, food, drink, seats, view, total quality on and off the pitch.
Throw in AITC and the general community nature of the club, we have a package to be so very proud of.

It that means I pay £4 for a nice pie instead of £3 for a sh*te one, so be it.
It's not like I have too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I do not think it is a rip off, it can certainly be put down to the price of success, aswell as the price of year sin administrative limbo.

However I think we do get good value. The Amex offers me the best in stadium experience that I have had on a regular basis. Good seats, good facilities, a decent pint and a decent pie, as well as open bars and 'free' travel. I would not swap this current matchday experience for anything. I'd be interested to hear if anyone who travels to away games regularly thinks that other stadia offer a comparable experience.

The interest free direct debit scheme for season tickets represents great value as does the 10per cent discount with the use of e-cash on the smart card which brings the price of refreshment down to a reasonable level.

This. I think the 'free' travel and the interest free direct debit scheme are the best things about the club matchday experience especially when the game is dull!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
This. I think the 'free' travel and the interest free direct debit scheme are the best things about the club matchday experience especially when the game is dull!

The payment plan and the travel makes the football affordable for the masses, I think its excellent value even if it does make our tickets a little more expensive.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
In the article they say the travel is worth £2, if you catch the train from Haywards Heath it's over £6.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
The payment plan and the travel makes the football affordable for the masses, I think its excellent value even if it does make our tickets a little more expensive.

Can anyone remember what a west stand seated ticket was at the Goldstone? I think it was £12-£15? I was kid paying £3 in the north then, but if I deduct the £4 a game it would cost me to get to the AMEX by train from shoreham, my northstand season ticket works at at a little over £14 a game. I would say that is amazing value. I would think a lot of 2 bob non league teams playing at minature selhurts charge more than that.

I don't really eat much at football but the beer is no more expensive than post pubs, and I have only bought about 6 programmes since I decided 50p for Gulls Eye at the Golstone was a better investment than £1.50 for a programme in the early ninties.

All in all I think things are good value........if you think something is poor value, then don't buy it. Quite simple really, and prices wil soon enough fall in line with demand. The only area where I think we have an emotional attachemnt and would pay more than was we perceive as vfm is match tickets.....and I don't think anyone can argue a season ticket is poor value. (Some match day tickets seem over the top though)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fact is the implication of the survey, in the Albion's case is fundamentally flawed, as it is concentrating on pricing that almost nobody actually pays. It ignores the fact that 80%+ of the crowd are STHs.

The survey will tell you that somebody watching a game from the North, and eating a pie and a pint, will be paying something like £36 (£28 + £4 + £4).

The reality for very nearly every person in that stand is that they are really paying less than £24 for the same (£18 + (£6.50 less 10%))

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The pie is a complete rip off, dry and generally tastless most of the time and most of the time not cooked properly too, i'd rather something cheaper if the quailty is not going to be that great. (regardless pies still sell well so not moaning)

Beer I couldnt care how much I pay, its only a couple of pints a game, whats an extra 80p on a couple of pints so i dont really mind.

Ticket prices i do generally think we are wll priced, however i do believe we over charge away fans just so they can sit in the east.

TBH nearly all food and drink at any sports or entertainment venue is usually a chance to rip off the punters. I went to see REM at The Rosebowl and no food was allowed in and so you had to buy the very shoddy grub at rip off prices. The best rip off was a stall selling Crepes for £3.50 each... its a frigging pancake folded up with a squirt of lemon and a teaspoon of sugar which costs 20p to make.

The last time I went to a 20/20 at Hove was about 7 years ago and there was a stall selling cans of beer, Worthington Bitter as I recall, for £2.95 a can... you could have bought 4 for about 40p more in the Co-op but alas, you were not allowed your own drinks.

Frankly, its all about cash and clubs are quite shameless in how they get it

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think other fans will be particularly impressed by our prices (looks like our 'cheapest' price is the most expensive such mark in the league), although weirdly most people here seem to be happy.

Probably what this proves is that Brighton is currently no real barometer of what is going on out there with regard to pricing and attendance. We have a special set of circumstances driving demand with the rebirth of the club, and our experience and attendance surge is not typical. Plus it is a relatively affluent part of the country, though there are plenty of fans who aren't earning £40k a year plus, and they need to be remembered and not cast aside in some bid for football yuppie-dom.

I don't think our season ticket prices are outrageous if you are regularly benefiting from the travel element. But I certainly think some of the matchday prices are very steep, £39, £34 is just too much for a Championship match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here