Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bbc Scr Phone-in

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
I know some of the long time Gulls Eye readers will find it hard to believe but I've sat on my hands and bit my lip over some of the things that have been said about the phone-in but frankly enough is enough when I see posts from failed fanzine editors demanding the show be scrapped.
When I arrived at SCR in 1998 the Albion were deemed too small a club to have their own phone-in and had to share with Saints and Pompey.
Both Leesy, Hawesy and myself argued in various meetings and eventually the Beeb relented and we got are own show.
Caller numbers and text contributors are at very healthy levels, as are the listening figures, 25,000 at the last RAJA report, granted we do sometimes have a problem with the staff in the studio getting the calls up but that is being rectified. But for example if listening you might think I've let someone go on to long its only because the studio haven't got another call on the switchboard, this is no-ones fault, there have been problems with the system but that has apparently been sorted.
As I have said before, until I'm blue and white in the face, the content is only as good as the calls, it comes as no surprise that the failed fanzine editor calling for the show to be scrapped has never attempted to call, although should I expect any more from the bloke who once told me outside the Goldstone that John Campbell was an asset to the Albion.
The system should now work, if you have a point call me after every game on 08459 570057, I want to hear from FG, E Block Ernie, Trigger, Beach Hut, the Bracknells whoever, just don't hide behind your keyboard and snipe get dialling.
And if someone really does have a problem with me and what I do on SCR then I'd rather they fronted me up face to face, I am in the Withdean Press Box, North Stand, from 2.25 each Saturday, so if things are that bad I'll see you down there on the 4th October.

Tazman

Jul 5, 2003
Seaford Where else!
I sent you a text once and you read it out....I was like a dog with 2 whatsits...Fame at last...So i won't have a word said against you! You are my hero....well...one of them, and theres only 1432 on my heros list at the mo so consider yourself honoured!
Respect!

:bigwave:

P.s. Mention my name on saturday afternoon and i'll stick up for you again sometime!!!!!

Last edited:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Harty, you cant please everyone, but if you were from a neutral position(which i'm sure your critics are not) nobody could deny the hard work you went to for the phone in, and your 100% commitment to the albion. 25,000 listeners is certainly not bad at all, and remember, there are alot of albion fans on dont post on NSC, so believe me its only an extreme minority who think like your critics do.
Keep up the good work, and hopefully soon i'll be calling in

Lush

Mods' Pet
Harty - it took me a long time to realise that there are people on this board who will say things just to wind other people up. Not because they genuinely believe them, but just to get a reaction.

Don't give them the satisfaction.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Harty, you dont need to justify yourself to them, they wouldnt listen anyway.

Tazman

Jul 5, 2003
Seaford Where else!
Anyway, if you went round trying to please everyone then you would become very boring...Keep your opinions and let others keep theirs...then we can all listen to an interesting phone-in. And besides, if everyone agreed...why have a phone-in??

(and its pronounced Taz man) cheers!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I like some of the one-liners e.g. "I don't care if we have to come home on a milk float" etc.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I usually ring after away games so watch out Harty next Tuesday or phone me as you have my number.

Spoke after Colchester and Plymouth otherwise text.

PS my lad is great fan of yours now you spoke to him after Plymouth.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Firstly, respect for coming on here and using all mediums and the internet as one of them.

Secondly, I've taken people from far and wide to see Brighton and if we drive as soon as I get reception I tune in and I can say have always found the radio show both valid and entertaining. Shame SCR for Brighton reception doesn't stretch a little further.

E Block Ernie

Jul 5, 2003
Jenny's Star Bar
Beach Hut said:
I usually ring after away games so watch out Harty next Tuesday or phone me as you have my number.

Spoke after Colchester and Plymouth otherwise text.

PS my lad is great fan of yours now you spoke to him after Plymouth.

Watch the listening figures plummet now they know you'll be on again.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
E Block Ernie said:
Watch the listening figures plummet now they know you'll be on again.

East shit and die Ernie

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
While I can't say that I'd ever phone in, I am delighted to say that I always listen to the phone in on my way back to Guildford after the game, or on the net in Guildford if the team are away (I curse the loss of Radio Sussex as I can't get God's County radio reception up here anymore!! ). However I digress, the reason I listen is because the show is enjoyable, chiefly because of the opinion, but occaionally because of the characters that are on. Don't get worried by the detractors Harty, yes the quality of the show could be better sometimes, but we wouldn't listen at all if it didn't give us some pleasure.

Jul 21, 2003
been in the q thwice Harty but never got through again after Boro, not so east calling in after the home games as like most im making me way home but rest assured you can expect the voice of reason to be back on the SCR airways soon something along the lines of unhappiness in the way Coppell is managing the team ive said on here he should go and i am happy to say just that on the air im very happy to make that very point and yes i do mean wot i say Coppell was hopeless at Boro when we should pressed for the win he balls it all up playing just one up front typical of the guy whos no idea what he is doing

Jul 21, 2003
PS one thing p155ses me right off with SCR is when i cant get along to the Albion i like to support he local soccer and the times ive been to Crawlet Town and its in Sussex you know not the f****** counrt of Surrey but can i pick up the Sussex edition of SCr like f*** can i i have to put up with the Surrey version, why on earth why????? i expect to be transmitted the Sussex version in Sussex am i asking too much??????? please sort it out or i shall me on the air moaning non stop on your programme come on HArty its your duty to a lifelong Albion fans get it sorted i ewant to herre the sussex show when im in Sussex you know it makes sense like it makes sense to stop this pipe dream of falmer

South Stand Zealot

Jul 8, 2003
Haywards Heath
Harty your memory is at fault.

When the fans phone-in was before the match I suggested ON AIR that the frequencies should be split to enable Albion fans to have their own programme (with a bit of Worthing shoved in now and then to please you). At that time we had to listen to a lot of drivel about Woking, Leatherhead, Farnborough and bloody Bashley.

Voila. The very next Saturday the split came about. Now that the phone in is after the match I can't say I like it as much especially when I rang 08459 57 0O 57 four times on Wednesday and each time was put through to a mystified young lady in Southampton.

Also why has 10 minutes of the phone in been handed over to Premiership Reports ? If I want those I go to Radio 5 Live.
Ditch these reports and let us have our phone in back in its entirety - PLEASE !!!!

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here