Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] BBC Meat - A threat to our planet?

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
In the US there is no longer an official definition of grass fed so it's all about marketing. Give'em a bit of grass, stick a grass-fed label on the pack and wait for the dollars to roll in.

Which is really bad. It has to be 100% grass fed to get the health benefits. Some farmers start with grass and switch to grain in the last part before slaughter. Nonsense.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is our meat a threat anyway? And apparently we import so little, how is it a problem?

"This week’s BBC 1 programme, ‘Meat: A Threat to our Planet’ gave an unbalanced and inaccurate view of the environmental challenges facing livestock production, potentially misleading UK consumers about how their meat is produced. By concentrating on the issue at a global scale, it failed to show the positives which sustainable production in the UK offers over the systems featured.

It also failed to note that, in 2018, UK beef imports from Brazil made up just one per cent of our beef imports, so the majority of what consumers here purchase does not come from the farming systems featured which deplete the rainforests.

The programme focused heavily on intensive farming practices in the US and South America. Little or no time was given to the other side of the debate and the significant efforts of UK agriculture to reduce our environmental impact. The UK industry did not have a voice in the programme, despite being produced and aired on a terrestrial station to a UK audience."

Continued here: https://www.qmscotland.co.uk/news/o...d-hcc-airing-‘meat-threat-our-planet’-bbc-one

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Not sure where you get that idea from, the UK currently imports around 35 per cent of the beef and veal it consumes. (around 250,000 tonnes annually).

You see, I read the article, and watched the tv show, and I read the article you quoted from. The implication on the show was that the UK imports bags of beef from the areas of the world that farm in a way that causes the problems. it doesn't, it imports less than 5% from those countries, the vast majority is from Ireland, and 90% of what we import is from Europe.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
You see, I read the article, and watched the tv show, and I read the article you quoted from. The implication on the show was that the UK imports bags of beef from the areas of the world that farm in a way that causes the problems. it doesn't, it imports less than 5% from those countries, the vast majority is from Ireland, and 90% of what we import is from Europe.

Thanks for the explanation, your comment now makes sense.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I like meat.

I look at myself. Then I look at China. And I look at India and Brazil.

Then I eat a bit of meat. Then I look up to see what I've done to the ozone layer.

Then I see Boris on TV. He's a fat ****. Meat?

Then I see we have an election. And I see there is a 60% majority for a tory here last time.

Let's cut to the chase.....

(you can guess the rest).

:ffsparr:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I've just had one of the nicest burgers from sainsbury's VIV ERA PLANT STEAK just like meat

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've just had one of the nicest burgers from sainsbury's VIV ERA PLANT STEAK just like meat

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Yep, I pretty much stick to a non meat eating diet but every now and then I need a fast food burger. The Beyond Meat brand burger left me feeling more satisfied than a real burger because not only did it taste as good, if not better, my conscience didn't kick in half way through. The Impossible brand burger is supposed to be very good too.

Any meat craving I had before is now satisfied without eating meat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here