Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Battle of Trafalgar 200 years ago today

One of the most important days in British history. A totally overwhelming victory signalling the start of Britain as a world power, the end of Spain as a world power, and the beginning of the end for Napoleon.

And while all the celebrations are going on in Britain we shouldn't forget that thousands of people lost their lives.

And it all happened just down the road from me! I'll be down on the beach there later today but I'm not sure there will be a lot going on. There are church services throughout Spain and a military parade in Cadiz but it's pretty low key here as you might expect. Much more about remembering the thousands who died.

A hugely important anniversary if you are British - Britain today would be very different had Nelson not been such a brilliant Admiral. After Trafalgar nobody dared to take on the Brits for 109 years until the Kaiser had a go - and we all know what happened to him!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Happy Trafalgar day to all exAndrew on this board.

Pass the port to the left please. :)

East Sussex beacons will be lit at Rye, Heron's Ghyll. Firle, Old Heathfield, Fletching, East Hoathly, Bexhill, Lewes, Winchelsea,
Brightling, Hastings, Brede, Mount Harry, Crowborough and Ashburnham

West Sussex beacons:- Coombes, Arundel, Bognor Regis, West Wittering, and Scaynes Hill

They will all be lit at 7.15pm.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Spent a year taking people round HMS Victory so can Is ay I served on it..... Anyway from memory .....Nelson was shot at 1:15pm by a French Marine from a fighting top on the French ship Redoutable. The round went through (right?) shoulder, spine and then came to rest in his lower back. Died 4:20pm ... ish.
First sea battle of it's type. Nelson took the rule book ..... and chucked it over the side.

Due to the wind only two thirds of the French and Spanish fleet could engage. Of the ships left to fight it out, it was a scrap and a half. Never has the expression 'come and have ago if you think you're hard enough' been true, it wasn't a push over, both sides were up for it and fight hard and fast........ bit like Celtic v Rangers but with ships.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Lord Bracknell said:
East Sussex beacons will be lit at Rye, Heron's Ghyll. Firle, Old Heathfield, Fletching, East Hoathly, Bexhill, Lewes, Winchelsea,
Brightling, Hastings, Brede, Mount Harry, Crowborough and Ashburnham

West Sussex beacons:- Coombes, Arundel, Bognor Regis, West Wittering, and Scaynes Hill

Why no Ditchling?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Lord Bracknell said:

West Sussex beacons:- and Scaynes Hill

I doubt whether you'll be able to see the Scaynes Hill beacon unless you're pretty nearby as it's going to be at the bottom of the Ouse Valley. Still, you should be able to see us on South Today pratting around. If you're really lucky you'll get our incisive discussion on the cost of Seagulls Ponchos, and generally burning things.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
If it wasnt for Nelson we would be French or Spanish

*shudder*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here