Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Battle of the browsers

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Firefox for some reason seems to have been getting steadily worse for me, failing to display flash content on a lot of sites and going wrong at inconvenient moments. I keep it updated but still find it goes wrong, and it's on bot my computers too.

So I dabbled with Chrome for a bit and although it looks nice I just find it is incredibly slow to load anything.

Today I thought I'd give the new Safari a go and so far so good. It doesn't seem as quick as I'm used to however I am using a mobile broadband dongle rather than the super fast piped in connection that I was previously used to so this could be the problem.

So which browser do you use and why?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
flash is not actually the broswer, its the flash plugin. theres a lot of shit flash out there, for instance the current O2 ads cripple my PC, so i wouldnt be so quick to blame the browser.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you are using Firefox 3.5 beta 4 you will shortly be able to update to Firefox 3.5 RC which will be more stable. A uninstall and re-install of the flash plug in should overcome your problems but having said that things dont always go to plan using Firefox.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Must admit, Firefox has gone downhill a bit for me too.

It is still VASTLY superior than IE I feel, but annoying problems such as the flash thing, and a tendancy for the whole browser to lock for about 10 seconds whilst videos on youtube load are increasingly annoying.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Firefox has been wank for a couple of years. It's become everything it wasn't meant to be - slow, bloated and buggy. Konqueror is alright but tends to fall over when you view anything with a plug-in. I've been using Opera as my main browser for a long time now and, on the whole, it does me fine.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Firefox for me and its always been OK ...but then I am a bit of a luddite

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I use Firefox but on the rare occasions it fucks up for me, I find Opera to be a solid alternative.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
Home: Opera (Mac & Ubuntu), Safari (Mac), Safari(iPhone)

Work: Opera, Safari & IE6 (All on Windows)

I use Opera for it's mouse gestures and overall productivity. Opera and Safari are excellent for developing websites as they follow Web standards.

As for IE6, it's a piece of shit, but unfortunately my employer hasn't quite made it into the 21st century using browser based technology with its products.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have had a few problems with Firefox as well so I have switched to Chrome which I find easily the quickest browser for just about everything. I wish is had a decent tool bar though. I have tried both Opera and Safari but I don't care for either. I've also used Flock but frankly is has too many add ons I don't need. I do have IE 8 but find it slow and a bit flakey.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Well now I have my speedy piped in 20mb connection again I have come to the conclusion that Safari is just slow. But why?

Firefox loads everything so speedily but simply refuses to work when I use iPlayer or Megavideo, despite several Flash reinstalls.

Chrome is chronically slow, even if it does seem to load everything I want eventually.

So I may give Opera a run.

I was looking forward to Safari proving its worth, especially given all apple's claims of its super speediness, but ultimately it just hasn't been very good. And it irritates the f*** out of me when I go to open a stream, say, and it gives me no options as to how I'd like that stream handled, forcing my internet radio to try and come out through iTunes, which lo and behold, fails. Take the URL and stick it in Winamp and there's no problem. Stoopid Apple.

So why do the likes of Safari and Chrome run so slow for me when Firefox is on fire and other people don't seem to have reported the same slowness?

Does nobody else find Chrome painfully slow?

Last edited:

Firefox has been misbehaving over the past few months, frequently closing down and producing an error message for no discernible reason. Stll sticking with it though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here