Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry Hearn - bit of a chump

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
He can f*** off forever as far as I'm concerned, for his comments after THAT 4-4 game.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's like the kid in the class who always needs attention.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
makes sense to me - that means the stadium can be used every week. One of the legacy probs with these big stadia is what to do with them after the need has disappeared. IMHO actually bunging Tottenham, West Ham and orient into it would make snse (they all WANT to be in it)

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Even if they cover the running track with movable seats, surely the views from each end will be terrible anyway, unless they completely rebuild the structure?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
IMHO actually bunging Tottenham, West Ham and orient into it would make snse (they all WANT to be in it)

How do you propose they organise the fixtures for that?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
People like him annoy me due to the fact he feels they should be in the stadium as they are closest to it

Also, the fact he thinks it will convert some orient fans to support west ham doesn't show good faith in the fans

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How do you propose they organise the fixtures for that?

i was going to say that, but with the number of non-Saturady games these days its probably do-able. you could even have double headers, Orient at 3, Spurs at 6pm.

anyway, some sort of sharing makes sence, bonkers to have so many grounds so close. same applies to Chelsea/Fulham/QPR.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
i was going to say that, but with the number of non-Saturady games these days its probably do-able. you could even have double headers, Orient at 3, Spurs at 6pm.

anyway, some sort of sharing makes sence, bonkers to have so many grounds so close. same applies to Chelsea/Fulham/QPR.

I'm all in favour of 2 teams sharing a ground but having 3 teams sharing is always going to result in someone losing out.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
The longer we go without playing them, the more I develop a bit of a soft spot for Orient and their fans.

But the idea of Oreint playing at the Olympic Stadium is akin to George Reyolds thinking Darlington needed a 25,000 seater stadium.

Last edited:

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong

Imagine what the pitch would be like during the winter with that many matches.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why on earth would Orients 4,000 - 5,000 fans want to be couped up in one little corner of a 60,000 seater stadium, half a mile from the pitch ? What does Hearn think he'll get out of it ? Sure from his point of view he might have a big posh box to watch it from, but what a spectacle. An almost empty stadium where all you'll hear is the hollow echo of players voices, and the odd remote chant filtering away from some far-flung corner of the ground. Dismal.

I know Brisbane Road is hardly the most engaging of venues, but it does at least suit their requirements and has had some improvements over the years. West Ham at the Olympic Stadium would be bad enough, but at least they'd go SOME way towards filling it. Orient though ? Madness.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I doubt the Legacy Commitee and the Orient fans would want this to happen. Anybody who gives Barry Hearn stick, should be shot. The guy has totally reformed Darts and Snooker, into massive Sports. The Professional Darts Corporation is huge and he is slowly doing this with World Snooker. The guy deserves a knighthood!

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think he's played a reasonably smart game on the Olympic stadium. He's had Premier League clubs hopping around, and there is a good chance that a worst-case exit scenario is a decent pay-off to Orient from West Ham to make it all go away.

And even if it proves inevitable, Hearn does have right on his side. No League One club a mile or two away would want a Premier League club relocating to a 60,000 capacity stadium which no way could they fill at full price, and would have to do all sorts of deals and freebies. It would massively hit Orient. Plus it's against FL rules, and maybe FA as well.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
i think hearn has played this well from the off - they will gain from it somehow.

if they did get the stadium - more away fans would come, more tourist tickets, etc etc - there is lots to gain from it.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I'm all in favour of 2 teams sharing a ground but having 3 teams sharing is always going to result in someone losing out.

They played 7 matches of Rugby League over a weekend at the Etihad recently. I'm sure a stadium now could easliy deal with three games of football over a weekend......

"All 14 teams from the Stobart Super League are pitching up on City’s home turf for the Magic Weekend, with three games on Saturday and four on Sunday."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here