Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnsley fans

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Fans like that are proper fans, that's the thing, so I certainly won't be knocking them. They are f*cking dreadful away from home, Barnsley is far from the wealthiest of towns, and you're looking at £100 for ticket plus travel and food, more if you add in a night out/hotel.

The populations only 70k odd, and considering both Sheffield clubs have far better history/grounds/support, as well as the HUGE Leeds united on their doorstop they do well to get 10k odd in every week when they're very unlikely to do other than a 15th-20th place finish.

I've got far more time for Barnsley fans than any Premiership plastic, the mutual respect you gain from travelling to the arse end of the country is quite noticeable. Certainly was when we were in League 1 and struggling to stay there. They weren't in great numbers, or great voice, but respect to the 297.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Fans like that are proper fans, that's the thing, so I certainly won't be knocking them. They are f*cking dreadful away from home, Barnsley is far from the wealthiest of towns, and you're looking at £100 for ticket plus travel and food, more if you add in a night out/hotel.

The populations only 70k odd, and considering both Sheffield clubs have far better history/grounds/support, as well as the HUGE Leeds united on their doorstop they do well to get 10k odd in every week when they're very unlikely to do other than a 15th-20th place finish.

I've got far more time for Barnsley fans than any Premiership plastic, the mutual respect you gain from travelling to the arse end of the country is quite noticeable. Certainly was when we were in League 1 and struggling to stay there. They weren't in great numbers, or great voice, but respect to the 297.

Totally agree. Respect to all the Barnsley fans who travelled down today.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

absolutely agree,great fans that travelled down today,remember they have leeds & sheffield on there doorstep

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I concur with foolG, it takes a lot more to live up that way & support Barnsley than it does to jump on a train to Elland Road or Old Trafford.

They may not be big on numbers but every one who came down and sat through that dismal showing from ther team (and not many left before the end either) deserves our respect.

Plus I did laugh heartily when a big fat BFC fan stood up & bowed to Gonzalez when he finally made a save after letting two dreadful goals in.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

I thought they travelled quite well last season, am sure there was some chart knocking about on here detailing figures of all fans travelling to all clubs last season. Also would be interested to see again details of numbers of all visiting fans to Withdean in our last few seasons. Can't be many that brought less than 300 on a Saturday, and that is in the lower divisions.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
They were loud on the 25 bus home they promised jelly and ice cream when thatcher died

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I thought they travelled quite well last season, am sure there was some chart knocking about on here detailing figures of all fans travelling to all clubs last season. Also would be interested to see again details of numbers of all visiting fans to Withdean in our last few seasons. Can't be many that brought less than 300 on a Saturday, and that is in the lower divisions.

They had over double that last year i'm sure. Local games they have a decent following, see them coming through Sheffield a fair bit on Saturday mornin's, but like I say, they are hurrendous away from home, and £35 plus train fares, food, beers and the like and you're looking at over £100. That's a lot of money, with no disrespect to Barnsley, it's a pretty working class town. They rarely win away, that's a lot to splash out when they know the likelihood is a performance like today.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
expected more,bank hol in brighton,but fair play to the die hards

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Yeah what happened barnsley fans? Did you all get stuck on the M25? Couldnt believe how small an amount were there

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
They had over double that last year i'm sure. Local games they have a decent following, see them coming through Sheffield a fair bit on Saturday mornin's, but like I say, they are hurrendous away from home, and £35 plus train fares, food, beers and the like and you're looking at over £100. That's a lot of money, with no disrespect to Barnsley, it's a pretty working class town. They rarely win away, that's a lot to splash out when they know the likelihood is a performance like today.

Yes, fair point

Firingblanks1

Oct 4, 2004
North Portslade actually
Good luck to them. Proper die hard fans, following a team that has punched above its weight over the last few years, especially given that they live in the shadows of Leeds and Sheffield. Respect to their manager Keith HIll, who on the bbc said he was equally responsible for the inept display. Thought, he was harsh on himself given their injury problems. I for one hope they keep above Palace and stay up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here