Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes to Rescue

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If he stops diving and works on his first touch, he will become a good Championship player. At the moment, I think he is a lower end Championship forward.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
A different game to you I guess! He's done my head in this season, but most seem to hold him up as some kind of superstar. I really just don't get it. Fair play to him, I never shout abuse at him like some, but I really do think he is our weak link

Its not about lauding him as a superstar, its about praise where its due. Sure he makes mistakes but no more than anyone else. Today for example, if Barnes had made the huge hash of the clearance before the goal like Bridcutt he would have been destroyed. If he'd played as many hideously wasteful passes as CMS, he'd be torn to pieces. Conversely, if Vicente had scored the goal everyone would cream themselves. It smacks of double standards because he's an easy target because he's not any of the other players.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Barnes has a first touch like Brezovan catches the ball. He can do it all game, yet the one time he doesn't is the only one people remember, whether it costs us or not, and every so often they have a game with little catching/few good first touches.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Granted the boy has promise, but if he were half the player he thought he was sometimes then we'd be on to a massive winner.

If CMS was half the player we paid for, maybe we wouldn't have to rely on a striker playing left wing to dig us out of trouble so often.

P.s. I may seem like I'm picking on CMS but he's just an easy comparison.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Its not about lauding him as a superstar, its about praise where its due. Sure he makes mistakes but no more than anyone else. Today for example, if Barnes had made the huge hash of the clearance before the goal like Bridcutt he would have been destroyed. If he'd played as many hideously wasteful passes as CMS, he'd be torn to pieces. Conversely, if Vicente had scored the goal everyone would cream themselves. It smacks of double standards because he's an easy target because he's not any of the other players.

100% this.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
If CMS was half the player we paid for, maybe we wouldn't have to rely on a striker playing left wing to dig us out of trouble so often.

P.s. I may seem like I'm picking on CMS but he's just an easy comparison.

I made no reference to CMS as this is a thread clearly about Barnes.

However, I am starting to believe that CMS would never fit into the tactics that Gus seems destined to continue with. IF we started playing more balls through the opposition back four on the floor and allowed CMS's natural game to come to the fore then it might be a different argument, however right now I feel that perhaps it would be more beneficial for us to sell him if Gus is insistent on playing this way - which I want him to btw. I'm just a little gutted that having stated quite obviously and clearly the CMS was his number one target in the summer and that he was personally amazed when he got the backing to go and get him that we aren't a litle bit more receptive to his talents and abilities.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Barnes has a first touch like Brezovan catches the ball. He can do it all game, yet the one time he doesn't is the only one people remember, whether it costs us or not, and every so often they have a game with little catching/few good first touches.

Well he did it three or four times today in seemingly easy pressure free situations down on the halfway line in front of the West stand in his much lauded defensive left wing position where us mere non football genius mortals are told he does some of his best work.

And yes i'm having a pop at him, but only because I wish he would do the simple things well and consistently.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I made no reference to CMS as this is a thread clearly about Barnes.

However, I am starting to believe that CMS would never fit into the tactics that Gus seems destined to continue with. IF we started playing more balls through the opposition back four on the floor and allowed CMS's natural game to come to the fore then it might be a different argument, however right now I feel that perhaps it would be more beneficial for us to sell him if Gus is insistent on playing this way - which I want him to btw. I'm just a little gutted that having stated quite obviously and clearly the CMS was his number one target in the summer and that he was personally amazed when he got the backing to go and get him that we aren't a litle bit more receptive to his talents and abilities.

I agree but CMS' finishing has been poor of late and that has nothing to do with the way we play.

Merlot

Banned
Apr 8, 2012
I presume when you reference his first touch you're wearing blinkers larger than those on many a Nag then? He has an acute ability to finish off moves in the box on a first time basis and to be in the right place at the right time but a first touch he does not have.

His defensive play so often lauded is typified by me as sticking his arse out, going down easier and quicker than Drogba and then exclaiming in abject incredulity that the referee dare not give him a free kick.

Granted the boy has promise, but if he were half the player he thought he was sometimes then we'd be on to a massive winner.

Barnes is shit.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Pathetic. Maybe you should go support a different team next season because Barnsey is here for the long run. Yes , he is not prolific, but he is still our top scorer. He's 22 ffs! He's still learning! I find the criticism he gets from mugs like you pathetic as it is totally undeserved.

If you think it's possible to go and support another team that isn't Brighton and Hove Albion then your not a real fan. Will you be off if we sign Billy Paynter in the summer?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

No, that is unfair. Barnes' first touch is more often than not, poor. Maybe I am expecting too much, or maybe it's an area of his game he needs to work on. When it comes to finishing first time, he is generally reliable. Again, he is only 22 as we all know, and he will improve. Right now, he still has work to do.

All that said, there was one moment in the second half on the left wing where Barnes controlled the ball out of the air and continued his run, all in 1 motion. If he can make that the standard rather than the exception then he'll be even better.

Overall, I rate him but wouldn't be disappointed if he found opportunities more limited next season because of new arrivals forcing their way ahead of him.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011

You got it.

And I've had a sneaking suspicion that Barnes dislikers, weren't regulars at Withdean, where they would have seen the young man's priceless contribution of assists and goals, and overall progression under Gus.

Without his tally this season, we'd be mixing with CP, Barnsley & Co, or worse.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I love the 'how many are penalties' argument from the haters. I must have missed the memo where penalties only count as half a goal nowadays.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You got it.

And I've had a sneaking suspicion that Barnes dislikers, weren't regulars at Withdean, where they would have seen the young man's priceless contribution of assists and goals, and overall progression under Gus.

Without his tally this season, we'd be mixing with CP, Barnsley & Co, or worse.

This.

And costing next to nothing in today's Championship terms & no doubt would be on modest wages, he's outscored:
Sandaza
Woods
Holroyd
Paynter
Vokes
CMS

Many of whom have far bigger reputations and wages/transfer fees cost far more out of our budget.

The young lad has a lot to be proud of.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
People who thought he had a bad game today must've thought CMS had an absolute shocker, as Barnes was far better than him today. Does my head in how CMS or Buckley can have Conference standard control and no one says a thing, Barnes shows poor control for the first time in about 5 passages of play and everyone goes mental.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Personally Barnsey does a lot of work off the ball...ok he needs to improve his first touch SOMETIMES but overall he is the top scorer and brings others into play...the only real let down is going down easy...but he will learn ,all players make mistakes. Leave the lad alone,if you gave him more support that might help him,he wears the stripes...it's not as if he is Scott McGleish for Christ sake!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here