Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barnes to Rescue

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I was talking to [MENTION=2095]Commander[/MENTION] today about people who slate Barnes, and he made the point they're normally absolute THICKOIDS. The utter lack of grammar in this post kind of proves his point

His first touch is fine, and it's million times better than CMS. He's the best striker we have.

Sorry Stumpy Tim I didn't realise I had to make an effort to be grammatically correct on a MESSAGE BOARD. It's clear that my post was merely making a quick point.

It's fantastic that you can call someone a THICKOID because they have a different opinion to you. NICE ONE. However, I'm sure that I'll be far more successful in life than most (including you) both in terms of academic grades and career prospects.

His first touch is not fine, IMO. He needs to work on it. CMS does too.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Hope he plays for another team next season. Watched him for two whole seasons now. First touch terrible, misses so many easy chances. Bottled it against Reading. Hot head that will never take us to the next level. Fed up with him playing every game.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Hope he plays for another team next season. Watched him for two whole seasons now. First touch terrible, misses so many easy chances. Bottled it against Reading. Hot head that will never take us to the next level. Fed up with him playing every game.

You're not gonna be happy next season, Barnes is here for at least as long as gus IMO

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
It's fantastic that you can call someone a THICKOID because they have a different opinion to you. NICE ONE. However, I'm sure that I'll be far more successful in life than most (including you) both in terms of academic grades and career prospects.

:lol::lol: Do you realise what a knob you sound?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Yep, I knew that I would come accross as a knob as soon as a said that. In fact, I probably come accross before I said that because it seems to be a crime to say a bad word about Barnes on NSC these days. But I don't mind, it's only an internet message board. :)

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

I think the clue's in your user name.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
I think the clue's in your user name.

Perhaps :). I believe I could be correct though, I have noticed how loud the happy clappers cheer his name. Just like we used to cheer when the worst player in the school playground would score.

I forgot to mention his crap passing and the amount of possession that breaks down when he gets the ball.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Two seasons, 34 goals. 14 of which came from left wing.

Is his first touch worse than CMS? No.

Does he miss more easy chamces than CMS? No.

Did he bottle it against Reading? IMO, no. He missed a pen but had a good game.

Is he a hot head? Yes. Worse than our skipper? Hell no.

Do any of these things merit the huge level of criticism levelled at him? No.

Final question: Does Gus rate and trust his ability to do what is asked of him? Yes.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
He didn't say he works harder. He said he's more clinical, and he is. Barnes is a better natural finisher than CMS, from what we have seen.

Apologies, mis-read original post. Agreed he does work hard up and down the line and is clinical in front of goal.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
1.Two seasons, 34 goals. 14 of which came from left wing.

2.Is his first touch worse than CMS? No.

3.Does he miss more easy chamces than CMS? No.

4.Did he bottle it against Reading? IMO, no. He missed a pen but had a good game.

5.Is he a hot head? Yes. Worse than our skipper? Hell no.

6.Do any of these things merit the huge level of criticism levelled at him? No.

7.Final question: Does Gus rate and trust his ability to do what is asked of him? Yes.

1. Many were penalties. Haven't got the stats but how many chances did he miss? How many could a good finisher have scored.

2. I disagree.

3. CMS hits the keeper too often but at least there is a chance for a rebound.

4. He bottled it. He replaced the ball on the spot when he didn't need to.

5. I agree. Surely one hot head in the team is enough though. Greer is more important.

6. No. You are correct. I just get frustrated that he plays every game and we could end up losing CMS, Lua Lua or Noon because they must be getting fed up sitting on the bench.

7. Gus is great. He isn't always correct though. Example would be Keeper situation this season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, Barnes is always in the correct position for a striker for a low drive coming in; dead centre, round about the penalty spot. People can pick him out. Compare and contrast with CMS who could be running around like a maniac ANYWHERE. As things stand, I'd pick Barnes over CMS any day of the week.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
1. Many were penalties. Haven't got the stats but how many chances did he miss? How many could a good finisher have scored.

2. I disagree.

5. I agree. Surely one hot head in the team is enough though. Greer is more important.

6. No. You are correct. I just get frustrated that he plays every game and we could end up losing CMS, Lua Lua or Noon because they must be getting fed up sitting on the bench.

7. Gus is great. He isn't always correct though. Example would be Keeper situation this season.

1. 5 were penalties. (Or 6 of 15 goals were if you include the wrexham shoot out).
4. That wasn't him bottling it. Last season his two penalties that didn't go directly in (one of which he scored the follow up on) coincided with delaying tactics from opposing keepers. This season it has been part of his process to place the ball only when he was ready to take it. He placed it v reading, then the ref went to talk to the players on the edge of the box, so he re-placed it. That was more to do with his tactics this season. Scoring 6 of 7 penalties is a good return.
6. Noone and Lualua have had stretches out of the side injured, and when Lualua returned last season it was made clear he wouldn't be able to play too many games in short periods of time without risking injury. CMS and Barnes have been fit and available for most of the season. Time on the pitch league starts (league overall):
CMS 3478 (3625) minutes (39 starts)
Barnes 3089 (3273) minutes (35 starts)
Barnes isn't costing any of them a place in the team, their own injuries or form is.

EDIT: More stats:

CMS
League and cup:
Starts: 43 (3924mins)
Sub 6 (220mins)
Shots: 81
Goals 10

Barnes
League and cup
Starts 40 (3599mins)
Sub 9 (262 min)
Shots 77
Goals 14

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

2. I disagree.

1. From watching last season penalties are no gimme and frankly again sure he misses chances but no more than anyone else.

2. Lets just agree to disagree

3. CMS hits the keeper a lot so he's better? Not sure I buy that.

4. Federici wasted so much time in the build up. I think Barnes just respotted it to make sure it was in the right place.

5. So our 31 year old captain and supposed calming influence is a hot head keeps his place, our 23 year old top scorer doesn't because we already have one hot head? Couldn't disagree more.

6. But CMS, Lua Lua and Noone provide virtually nothing to the team defensively comparitively. Barnes' team ethic outstrips all 3 but isn't as flair basically. Don't get me wrong, I love watching Lua Lua and Noone but our team isn't built for two attacking wingers.

7. I agree but just because he's not 100% on it with all decisions doesn't mean its a valid stick to beat Barnes with.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

2. I disagree.

He's banged in about 40 goals in 100 games. He'll do for me.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Clinical finisher, today was another example, albeit an easy one to put away. Add me to the list of people who don't have a clue why he gets so much stick. Very good player, still young, too.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington

Couldn't agree more. His goal masked yet another woeful performance today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here