Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barefoot Trainers

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
WTF are these all about?

Does anyone own a pair of these?

Surely it can't do your feet any good running in these?

vibram-Five-Fingers.jpg

Nuneatonseagull

Aug 9, 2011
Nuneaton
If you want to switch to using these, you have to build it up very slowly, but ultimately it helps you mid-foot/front-foot strike rather than heel strike. If you get used it, it makes you more efficient.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
Can be very beneficial, but need to come with a massive warning. The idea is that they encourage your body to run with the technique that is best for it - landing on front / middle of foot with light steps and absorbing the force by cushioning the impact. This helps avoid injury. They also strengthen feet and legs through use.

BUT... they do this because 1. if you run badly in them you'll break your feet, and 2. they put more strain on feet and calves, so strengthening them. Basically you need to start using them with an idea of how you're trying to run, and only for very short distances before building it up slowly.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Problem with running trainers is that you run without any real thought about landing etc because trainers are so cushioned these days to accomodate them. By running on these barefoot trainers you will think about technique etc more for running, and if built up properly and slowley as previously stated, are good for you.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
A few people have told me running with no support is better, but I'm sceptical. I always used to get shin splints, and I fixed it by changing my running form (leaning forward more and landing on the middle of the foot rather than the heel), and the problem is fixed. Going barefoot/nearly barefoot seems to be a drastic step to remedy a fairly minor problem, and one that is likely to cause further injury if it isn't done correctly.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
They're not actually barefoot though.Unless that person's got grey feet. I'd take them back myself because that's a f***ing con. I mean fingerless gloves have no fingers so bare foot trainers should be barefoot. No one mugs me off like that.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
If you have a bad running technique then these will quickly fix that but if you already run with the correct technique then these are pretty pointless.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've heard of people extolling the virtues of these shoes to the extent of being dogmatic about running in normal running shoes. However I don't know any club runners who wear them and have not seen an elite athlete ever wear these. The only barefoot runner I can think of is Zola Budd, who was more famous for being a Saffer with a UK passport and tripping up another runner than being a world class athlete.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
They do help technique, but they're not useless even if you have good technique. They strengthen feet and legs significantly and make other injuries less likely.

As with most running stuff, you've got to find what works for you.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
My ex girlfriend has a few pairs of these, she is a podiatrist and did a bio-mechanics Masters and PhD so knows a few things about the subject. The company that makes them (Vibram) asked her to do a study into the benefits of wearing them and she concluded that they don't really provide any improvement and could potentially damage your feet. They are fine for just walking about but if you want to wear them for running you need to start off doing very small distances to get your muscles adjusted to wearing them, then very slowly increase how far you go.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I have freakishly long toes, not sure if I could use them without cutting the ends off every toe

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I'm hearing what people are saying about the various problems associated with running and how to overcome them through modifying technique and and analysing shoe design.

Personally, I favour the 'sitting at home eating 'Revels'' approach to avoiding such inconveniences.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm hearing what people are saying about the various problems associated with running and how to overcome them through modifying technique and and analysing shoe design.

Personally, I favour the 'sitting at home eating 'Revels'' approach to avoiding such inconveniences.

Do you play Revel Roulette? Now that's a sport that can really draw sweat.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I've heard of people extolling the virtues of these shoes to the extent of being dogmatic about running in normal running shoes. However I don't know any club runners who wear them and have not seen an elite athlete ever wear these. The only barefoot runner I can think of is Zola Budd, who was more famous for being a Saffer with a UK passport and tripping up another runner than being a world class athlete.

So breaking a world 5000m record at the age of 18/19 doesn't make you a world class athlete then?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
So breaking a world 5000m record at the age of 18/19 doesn't make you a world class athlete then?

She really was a barefoot runner. new gull is referring to elite athletes not paying money for running shoes that say they are barefoot. the opposite of "the emperor's new clothes".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here