Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Banter"

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Banter or 'bants' as some knobheads call it tends to just be bullying for working class people!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I'm annoyed by the excuse "it's only banter" - if it's genuine banter then everyone knows that already. Having to justify it means it isn't banter anymore.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
It's a bloody horrible word, used to disguise and excuse everything from brainless, look-at-me Twitter drivel to more unpleasant stuff that veers towards hate-crime territory.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
It's sh|t.

I blame Tim Lovejoy

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"Melt" is my new least favourite word. Just makes the person saying it sound like a tosser immediately.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
True banter yes. The shite some spout on here, insulting, argumentative crap and call it banter is turgid.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I find that it is used most by people when they are not capable of explaining a given situation with anything more sophisticated than 'it's just banter, mate'.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I agree. The word BANTER when used normally is HORRIBLE.

Since Richard Keys used it so infamously I now use it ironically with mates when something inappropriate is said. "Don't worry mate, it's only a bit of BANTZ INNIT"

There's an unwritten agreement between us that if we ever use that word in normal context we are disowned.

The problem is, I only hear it used when explaining why something, which is often massivly UNFUNNY to me, is HILARIOUS to the individual. ie someone once wrote on here that we should ignore homophobic chanting because, (sigh), "It's just football banter".

urgh

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Banter is part of British humour, hopefully it's not the next thing on the hit list of the "lets get offended by everything" brigade.

If you haven't got anyone that you're comfortable doing a bit of banter with then you probably haven't got any real friends, and you need to lighten up from your serious, bitter and stressful life before it sends you to an early grave. Sorry to break this to you all.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As in "turn to liquid form due to increased temperature" or is it some sort of new slang?

Slang. You not seen it on here?

"Wind yer neck in you complete melt".

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
To be fair, I think 'banter' is is an expression used by teenagers or complete dullards.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon MELT is ok as I use it in an ironic way, as it was common during my schooldays and seemed to dissappear for 15 years.

BANTER is terrible. BANTZ is bearable because people can't be using it at straight value, though maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

The worst usage to me, is of the form: "Oh he seems like a top bloke. Great banter"

BLEURGH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here