Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baker at the Public Enquiry

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Was wondering if anyone was at the public enquiry when Baker took the stand ? The local plan inspector seemed to side with him by suggesting a no to falmer will not kill the club and extra time could allow different sites to be progressed?

This is from Norman Baker:

The club's barrister, when he cross-examined me, chose to construct this house of cards, a wild, swaying, unstable hypothesis that it was all or nothing - Falmer or the extinction of the club. That is a ridiculous hypothesis, as I made clear. But then he was just doing his job. He knows the case for Falmer is much weaker if he admits there may be other solutions, so he presents a nuclear option. Do I want the world to end in October or November? Actually, I don't want the world to end at all, and it won't be in either month.

The club's barrister also argued that the club will go out of business if Falmer is rejected. Really? How can a club which is apparently able to finance a huge stadium at Falmer suddenly be bankrupt if they don't spend it?

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Oh dear oh dear oh dear!!!!

"How can a club which is apparently able to finance a huge stadium at Falmer suddenly be bankrupt if they don't spend it?"

That really does take the biscuit for lack of understanding of the issue!

The fact that every game we stay at Withdean means we are losin more and more money.

We cannot afford to spend another 7 years there waiting for another site to come along (because there are non)

The vast majority of the money to build the stadium is not the clubs money! It will be coming from investors. I doubt they will hand the money over if we stay at Withdean.

This means that we won't get any money. Withdean is unable to support us as the costs are greater than the ability to earn.

No Falmer = No Albion!!!!! What part of this don't they understand!!!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
y2dave said:
How can a club which is apparently able to finance a huge stadium at Falmer suddenly be bankrupt if they don't spend it?

Blimey - that is stupid. Carry on with that type of logic and he'll qualify to be next President of the USA.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Also I object the statement "Huge Stadium". Falmer is a long way from being a 'Huge Stadium" 22,000 is around half the capacity of most Prem clubs and a lot of Div 1 clubs! Some (including myslef) even argue that it is not big enough for us! 22,000 is a compromise between the size of stadium we have the potential to fill (for big games at least) and the lack of space in which we have to build it!!!!

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'm tempted to say that if Falmer does fail we should just go all out for a 40,000 seater stadium with shopping complex at Waterhall!!

Falmer won't look so bad then will it you NIMBY twats!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I like the idea Lammy, but Falmer WILL happen

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
I'd take a guess a certain mp may have been responsible for this too:

One councillor dubbed applications for a stadium either north or south of Village Way "an exercise in trying to shoehorn it into a gap beside the A27 in a way that can only be futile by throwing up so many problems."

Again another point the local plan inspector seemed to agree with suggesting the site was too small. It might as well have been Baker doing the local plan report.

Baker seems like a very stubborn man and I have every sympathy with Martin Perry for trying to co-operate with this blinkered prick.

Comments aimed to promote his attitude from his website include the following:

You underestimate him at your peril... He has a habit of being right. He sticks to his guns

Mr. Baker has reminded us that it is still possible for individuals in the Commons to make an impact

He refuses to compromise when it comes to principles.

Colbourne Kid

Sep 19, 2003
I was there.

Firstly he was asked if he had read the application or the sequential analysis. His answer was that the had skimmed it. He then used that to show why he could not answer the detail of anything put to him. He aslo refused to suggest an alternative site.

He was asked whether the AONB was more important than the Club. He would not answer the question so another question was put to him. If the choice was between the site at Falmer remaining in the AONB and Albion ceasing to exist which would he choose. He said the site remaining in the AONB.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
If he hadn't even bothered to read the application or sequential analysis then why the hell was he even being questioned? He should have been held in contempt of court for wasting everyone's time!

If I had to go to a meeting to discuss something that I hadn't bothered to read up on I don't think my boss would be too impressed. Yet in politics only your opinion matters and no one cares a jot how you came to hold those opinions! :angry:

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Skimming the report does not suprise me as I suspect Baker made up his mind on Falmer as soon as the site was first suggested. I find it strange he promised to accept two jags verdict even if he gives the thumbs up, he must be feeling confident.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Sounds to me like he really doesn't gove a shit!! He's only objecting to keep some voters happy. If it goes through (it will, it must) then he will just hold his hands up and go "oh well, never mind. At least I tries eh!" Then it's back to the more pressing issues of Mums in 4x4s and keeping the A27 shite!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here