Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Avg Championship wage

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Anyone know what the average wage of championship clubs is?
Seems most teams are paying big wages and how would this affect our chances of staying up if we got promoted?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
2 years ago the average wage for a Championship player was £275,000, or over five grand a week. 2 years ago, so expect it to be significantly increased since then.

Recession, what recession?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you're Portsmouth, it's whatever you want it to be.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
2 years ago the average wage for a Championship player was £275,000, or over five grand a week. 2 years ago, so expect it to be significantly increased since then.

Recession, what recession?

What makes you think it will it have increased significantly in the past 2 years?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought it was nearer £10k a week on average ?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What makes you think it will it have increased significantly in the past 2 years?

Because football has been largely recession proof, at least in terms of wages paid to players.

The crappest players might not have changed that much, of course, but the average to good ones will be getting more. All that has changed is that clubs are more likely to include relegation clauses which allow for a pay cut if they go down, but in most cases like that, the players just leave anyway and go to another club that will pay what they want.

Say Chelsea announce John Terry :tosser: has a new deal at £150k per week. All of a sudden the other big earners decide that if Terry's worth it, then so are they, and also demand more money. Then Terry activates his contract clause that says he will always be the highest paid, and so on and on it goes.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What makes you realise just how much even crap players are on is when you see an interview with an 18 year old fringe player from a Championship club, and he tells them he drives a BMW X5.

At 18. I mean, even the insurance on that kind of thing must be ludicrous at that age, never mind the cost of the car. Yet most of these lads earn more than the Prime Minister does.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Because football has been largely recession proof, at least in terms of wages paid to players.

The crappest players might not have changed that much, of course, but the average to good ones will be getting more. All that has changed is that clubs are more likely to include relegation clauses which allow for a pay cut if they go down, but in most cases like that, the players just leave anyway and go to another club that will pay what they want.

Say Chelsea announce John Terry :tosser: has a new deal at £150k per week. All of a sudden the other big earners decide that if Terry's worth it, then so are they, and also demand more money. Then Terry activates his contract clause that says he will always be the highest paid, and so on and on it goes.

I agree that the wages paid by Chelsea will have an effect on the demands by the other top players in the Premiership, but the way I see it there are currently only 2 clubs that can really afford to pay the silly money, i.e. City and Chelsea. There hasn't been any significant influx of money into the Chamionship and Leagues 1&2 over the past 2-3 years so I would doubt that there has been any major salary increases either.

tonymgc

Banned
May 8, 2010
Drive by abusing
I'd say the average would be about £10k a week would be a fair estimation, Obviously fluctuating given the size & stature of the club.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
When Cullip left for Sheff Utd wasnt he on £5k a week with us?

Appreciate I could be way off the mark.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Bloody silly amount of money for often very average players, we'd ONLY want real quality at those prices, no more last season contracts or any concessions at all if they aren't up to it we don't want 'em - cut the squad to 22/24 max, far too many passengers in a bigger squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here