Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendance tonight... 25,518 (merged)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I like the way the attendance figure is now worked out , gets away from being considered as a small provincial club.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
True. It makes historical comparisons somewhat dubious.

But then it also makes present day comparisons with other clubs more relevant (seeing as more clubs now appear to report tickets sold than actual attendances).

It's the difference between saying we average 10,000 more than Palace or we only average 8,000 more. Obviously the former sounds better.

Soon to be averaging 14,000 more than Palace instead of 12,000 :lol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Because we now lie about our attendance figures a la Palace?

All the Premier League and majority of Championship clubs do the same so the comparison becomes fairer.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
It should be mentioned that all Premier League teams announce tickets sold rather than through the gate. As someone suggested its probably a lot more commercially preferable to announce it that way in terms of stadium and sponsorship rights.

No, just think about it. A sold ticket means that a sum of money has to be accounted for, and justified in the accounts.

Counting people going through the gate is open to all types of abuse (mis-counting, double counting some people, not counting other people with no verification as to the accuracy of the numbers ) This was one result from the Hillsborough disaster, when the police did not accurately know how many people were in certain areas of the ground and so were unaware of the dangerous overcrowding starting to occur.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I don't really care how it is calculated but surely the Premier/Football League should ensure that every club uses the same system.

Why? Its the club's responsibility to ensure that their records and accounts are accurate - it's got nothing to with the league or the FA. Crowd safety is the responsibility of the police and the ground authorities and they have to comply with the requuirements of the Safety of Sports Grounds Act, and the Football Licensing Authority (or whatevery they called now). Tickets sales is the most reliable and safe method of recording the number of people attending as it accounts for every point of access to the stadium.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Are people really sure the figure is wrong? They said capacity is now over 28,000 (would love to know the exact figure). So 2,500 empty seats doesn't seem massivly wrong, does it?

As for those moans about lying. It was a break from the norm when we showed the actual gate. The vast majority of clubs do it based on tickets sold. Get over it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
There was one gap in the home end and that was the eastern most part that we had of the south stand, other than that the amount of gaps in full areas didn't look much different to the typical game last season. I don't see why it can't have been 25000.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We will know they are massaging when we report complete sell outs even when there are banks of empty seats. Its now a running joke at the emirates with an attendance of 59,999 yet its more like 49,000. Source Arsenal seasom ticket holder.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Because we now lie about our attendance figures a la Palace?

It is about PAID FOR tickets. HMRC base everything on revenue so why not report the number of tickets paid for? Numerous reasons for people not attending matches, so what? If they've paid include them-at least they've made the commitment financially which is something the Chrystals know nothing about. The Payless model is one of buy 1 get 2 free and we'll record all three. I know which one is the better way and it isn't Buy One Get Two Free or season tickets for a quid.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
well from my view in the south all I can say is North looked full, West looked full and East looked pretty much full maybe a few hundred missing. Then there were a few thousand missing from away area and south stand

So 25500 doesnt seem too far off really to me

It would be refreshing if the club didn't choose to go down that route tho - is this another 'Barberism'??? (and is he Peter Kenyon in disguise?).

For one thing, it makes comparison with previous attendance records etc completely meaningless. Was going to post that it was our highest home attendance since the Southampton FA Cup quarter final - except it probably wasn't.....

They should just report how many were in the stadium watching the game. No need to lie - we should be proud that we're getting 20k plus anyway.

This. Historically in the UK attendance at a sporting event meant the amount of people who went to watch the said event.

For those who don't know what the word attendance means:

▶noun
1 the action or state of attending.
2 the number of people present at a particular occasion.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
well from my view in the south all I can say is North looked full, West looked full and East looked pretty much full maybe a few hundred missing. Then there were a few thousand missing from away area and south stand

So 25500 doesnt seem too far off really to me

I thought so too.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
It makes a change from the good-ole days, when club's massively under declared their gates ???

All the Premier League and majority of Championship clubs do the same so the comparison becomes fairer.

But they are lying about the attendance though aren't they? Purely for marketing purposes it seems too.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Is'nt it marvellous we are now debating if a crowd was 23 or 25 thousand, next year it will be 28 or 30 thousand. Makes me realise how crap Gillingham was...

Love it.....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
From a H&S point of view they must have an accurate figure of how many people are in the ground. In the case of an emergency they would be in a position to account for everyone in the ground, so why not tell us how many are there, and if they're still keen, they can tell us how many tickets have been sold too.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
But they are lying about the attendance though aren't they? Purely for marketing purposes it seems too.

All I can say is that most people who were there last night (myself included) thought it was a big crowd, perhaps we have to declare seats sold for tax purposes. Insider will soon confirm on the Ask the Club forum.

Someone put up the defintition of attendence earlier, I would think the definition of the words 'club lying' may also need examining. If this is the worst the club are doing at present I surgest things are okay...

Are people really sure the figure is wrong? They said capacity is now over 28,000 (would love to know the exact figure). So 2,500 empty seats doesn't seem massivly wrong, does it?

As for those moans about lying. It was a break from the norm when we showed the actual gate. The vast majority of clubs do it based on tickets sold. Get over it.

Why can't the football club continues this break from the norm? Why do we have to conform with the other football clubs who are clearly lying about their "attendance"?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

If we want this club to progress then we have to do as others are doing.

Outside investment (advertising, sponsorship, suppliers), players and top managers/staff are attracted to successful (financially) clubs. If we want top people at the club we have to play on a level playing field which is something we haven't had for 20 years or so.

Just enjoy the fact that we sell over 25,000 tickets for a home game despite Cardiff only taking 750 or so. These are great times at The Albion and other clubs using identical reporting methods are very envious, as all of the Payless idiots calling us 'plastics' prove.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here