Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendance tonight... 25,518 (merged)

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm not really sure why anyone cares this much. Seven pages and counting on whether it was 23k or 25k?!

We post a record crowd, people complain. Is there ANYTHING our fans won't pick at and whine about?

FYI, I am aware of the irony of posting on this thread

Black Dalek

Jan 19, 2004
Sitting here reading the Argus, feeling proud of my club seeing all the attendances from the Championship last night. Only Wolves & Wednesday get anywhere near us.
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
There was 2,500 empty in the away section alone. I doubt there was even 23,000 in total - a fantastic figure in itself. Don't see the need to lie about it
Thats how many tickets were sold and that's what many sporting events do,i doubt it was far off anyway but most clubs do this.

You telling me there was 5000 empty seats last night?

I do not have a particularly strong view of which is the best method of declaring the attendance but I do believe the club should be more transparent and open. If it has changed the method of calculation why not say so rather than leaving everyone to speculate.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Insider has confirmed (what we knew) that they quote the number of tickets sold. Didn't elaborate in any way as to whether this was new policy or not. Personally I would prefer them to state the actual attendance, but as has been said, the way they are [now] doing it is the norm.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I would of thought the way to go would be to declare how many were sold and not how many took up their seat , in a way , only declaring the numbers in attendance is not a true reflection on gate reciepts and therefore may land the club or any business in hot water with the powers that be , who knows in the clubs pursuit of trying to be transparent last season by announcing the number watching the game rather than tickets sold they were somehow infact on the wrong side of the rules and regulations , whatever the tally was it looked and sounded superb .

Here's Johnny!

All work and no play.....
Nov 27, 2008
Worthing
I can understand the logic in naming ticket sales figures but just don't really like the way we announce it as the game "attendance" as it is not at all representative of the number that attended the match. Just simply be up front and announce as "ticket sales" or give both figures makes sense to me.

As someone said and I agree the club could have been more transparent with this as whatever way you look at it it is really something to be proud of as shows how far the club has come in a short period of time.

Insider has confirmed (what we knew) that they quote the number of tickets sold. Didn't elaborate in any way as to whether this was new policy or not. Personally I would prefer them to state the actual attendance, but as has been said, the way they are [now] doing it is the norm.

So from now on we can't ever compare past Albion attendances and will only roughly know if we've broken any records - what a crock of shit!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
didn't go last night but what was the atmosphere like right over by the segregation?

from the pics it seems away fans will mainly congregate there so was there much banter between away and esl?

looks pretty flimsy..could be interesting for some matches....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
For what it's worth we had the highest attendance figure in all games last night...of course there are some season ticket holders could not attend but at least the seats were paid for...it's going to be sometime to beat our record attendance but in those days you could cram more people in because of standing supporters.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Now it appears that the club have gone by tickets sold, in theory, this is what it should be as the ticket has been sold to someone, regardless of physical presence.
I don't blame the club, as that's what other clubs do, but I disagree that's how it should be done in theory. Attendance is attendance, tickets sold is something else. Stating the tickets sold as people having attended is incorrect.

I suggest just two of us turn up for the Barnsley game and see how many the Club record the attendance as.

Now lets debate which two of us turn up.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
I would of thought the way to go would be to declare how many were sold and not how many took up their seat , in a way , only declaring the numbers in attendance is not a true reflection on gate reciepts and therefore may land the club or any business in hot water with the powers that be , who knows in the clubs pursuit of trying to be transparent last season by announcing the number watching the game rather than tickets sold they were somehow infact on the wrong side of the rules and regulations , whatever the tally was it looked and sounded superb .

I've got a worrying feeling this whole nonsense is due to those reasons, some overly officious tax rule or a marketing gimmick. Attendance is attendance to repeat once more and if the taxman,football league, MI5 or FC Chrystal think we're trying to con someone they can ring up the office and ask how many tickets we sold!

Do you say you had sex with a stripper just because you tucked a fifty pound note in her G string?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't blame the club, as that's what other clubs do, but I disagree that's how it should be done in theory. Attendance is attendance, tickets sold is something else. Stating the tickets sold as people having attended is incorrect.

I was once sent to do a feature on the London Broncos (rugby league) when they played at Charlton. The gate was so low that I was able to count the crowd. There were 114 people there.

The official attendance was given as 6,000, which was apparently the number of free tickets given away by The Sun.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was once sent to do a feature on the London Broncos (rugby league) when they played at Charlton. The gate was so low that I was able to count the crowd. There were 114 people there.

The official attendance was given as 6,000, which was apparently the number of free tickets given away by The Sun.
:lol: brilliant. That basically means clubs can make the figures up, which shouldn't be allowed. Palace's figures will include the groupons and kids for free deals, so they can artificially pretend there are people there. Then all the clubs attendance figures are put into tables, despite the fact that the figures were calculated in a different way.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
haven't read all the thread and someone mght of suggested this already,but why can't football clubs issue both gates,actual attendance on the day,then in brackets,tickets sold in total

eg 22,500 (25,000) then it's transparent

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Bit daft really, it's no more than bragging and given our ST sales will mostly be influenced by number of away fans. I dunno I liked knowing how many people were in.

Begs the (therotical) question, if we have a sell out and non showing STH's put tix on exchange which are then sold we'd be able to declare a crowd larger than capacity?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Bit daft really, it's no more than bragging and given our ST sales will mostly be influenced by number of away fans. I dunno I liked knowing how many people were in.

Begs the (therotical) question, if we have a sell out and non showing STH's put tix on exchange which are then sold we'd be able to declare a crowd larger than capacity?

I think that the tickets put on the exchange would automatically be deducted. Especially if the purpose of stating our attendance like this is for tax purposes.

rool

Jul 10, 2003

Due to the way they drip fed their own available seats on Tuesday night I have major doubts that the official exchange will ever come into play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here