Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendance tonight... 25,518 (merged)

Tickets sales is the most reliable and safe method of recording the number of people attending as it accounts for every point of access to the stadium.

Surely the most reliable and safe way of measuring people attending is the amount of card/paper ticket swipes by individual tickets through the turnstiles? Ticket sales will only give you the maximum possible projected attendance.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Are people really sure the figure is wrong? They said capacity is now over 28,000 (would love to know the exact figure). So 2,500 empty seats doesn't seem massivly wrong, does it?

As for those moans about lying. It was a break from the norm when we showed the actual gate. The vast majority of clubs do it based on tickets sold. Get over it.

Agreed. Would be worth hearing from insider re this issue too btw.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Is'nt it marvellous we are now debating if a crowd was 23 or 25 thousand, next year it will be 28 or 30 thousand. Makes me realise how crap Gillingham was...

Love it.....

Whereas our Payless chums are debating how many people actually paid to watch-was it buy 1 get 2 free, 3 kids free with every adult ticket, how many Groupons? Marvelous indeed.

If we want this club to progress then we have to do as others are doing.

Outside investment (advertising, sponsorship, suppliers), players and top managers/staff are attracted to successful (financially) clubs. If we want top people at the club we have to play on a level playing field which is something we haven't had for 20 years or so.

Just enjoy the fact that we sell over 25,000 tickets for a home game despite Cardiff only taking 750 or so. These are great times at The Albion and other clubs using identical reporting methods are very envious, as all of the Payless idiots calling us 'plastics' prove.

How is our progress as a football club going to be slowed down by the difference in possibly a thousand people attending and people who actually bought a ticket?

Attendances at football matches historically have always been the number of people who attend the match and there has been much kudos gained for high attendances, with fans from respective clubs boasting how high their attendances have been.

It's quite simple really, the club can have two sets of figures: the official attendance and tickets sold. The official attendance can be mentioned at the match and go down on historical records and the tickets sold can be used for business and tax purposes.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Last night - biggest home league gate since when ?

Recall a Liverpool game in 1983 at the goldstone was over 25,000, but when did we attract more that 25,518 FOR A HOME LEAGUE GAME ????:mad:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
How is our progress as a football club going to be slowed down by the difference in possibly a thousand people attending and people who actually bought a ticket?

Attendances at football matches historically have always been the number of people who attend the match and there has been much kudos gained for high attendances, with fans from respective clubs boasting how high their attendances have been.

It's quite simple really, the club can have two sets of figures: the official attendance and tickets sold. The official attendance can be mentioned at the match and go down on historical records and the tickets sold can be used for business and tax purposes.

It's all about how people perceive the club. The public profile of the club is important these days.

The bigger we look, the better. It's such a silly thing to be worried about in the grand scheme of things. Personally I don't care how the club reports attendance/ticket sales so long as it pisses off all of the Payless idiots up the A23. It does make sense (to me) to use the same reporting model that everybody else does.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this could well have been the actual attendance. 2,000 empty in the S/SE, another 500 empty around the place (all other stands looked very full from where I was in the North Stand).

I think 25,500 out of 28,000 seems perfectly reasonable... unless the other side of the North Stand was empty but I couldn't see that...

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this could well have been the actual attendance. 2,000 empty in the S/SE, another 500 empty around the place (all other stands looked very full from where I was in the North Stand).

I think 25,500 out of 28,000 seems perfectly reasonable... unless the other side of the North Stand was empty but I couldn't see that...

Agree.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

You're underestimating the 'no shows' considerably. Look at the attendances from sold out games last season - there was always a lot more than 500 "empty around the place" and I don't see why last night would have been any different. The ESL, for example, looked to have a lot of empty seats in it.

Also, the starting point, I believe, is 27,250. There were a lot more than 1750 empty seats around the whole ground.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

From the wsu the other stands had loads of empty seats as always.

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
2,500 empty seats last night seems about right. Have the Club officially confirmed that we are now going by tickets sold rather than bums on seats ?

Whatever - attendance should mean the amount of people actually attending - we are not Palace.

Just had a shufty at last seasons home gate against Cardiff - also mid week with Cardiff bringing same amount - 750. It was below 19,000 so maybe we have gone over to the dark side.

Last edited:

Augustus

Jul 2, 2011
2,500 empty seats last night seems about right. Have the Club officially confirmed that we are now going by tickets sold rather than bums on seats ?

Whatever - attendance should mean the amount of people actually attending - we are not Palace.

Just had a shufty at last seasons home gate against Cardiff - also mid week with Cardiff bringing same amount - 750. It was below 19,000 so maybe we have gone over to the dark side.

There was 2,500 empty in the away section alone. I doubt there was even 23,000 in total - a fantastic figure in itself. Don't see the need to lie about it

It's all about how people perceive the club. The public profile of the club is important these days.

The bigger we look, the better. It's such a silly thing to be worried about in the grand scheme of things. Personally I don't care how the club reports attendance/ticket sales so long as it pisses off all of the Payless idiots up the A23. It does make sense (to me) to use the same reporting model that everybody else does.

Report it both ways, then everyone is happy!

However we still don't know how last night's figure was calculated and it could actually be amount of people who went to the match.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here