Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendance tonight... 25,518 (merged)

rool

Jul 10, 2003
My North Stand seat didn't resell last night so it doesn't like like the ticket exchange will kick in for anything but the biggest of games.
I would suggest people use the exchange on here rather than the official one. I certainly will from now on.
This is probably a durrr comment but, being the old cynic, my take is that the official exchange is a method for the club to take already sold seats out of the system to maximise sale of other seats and the exchange will hardly either show a return.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
although you could make a compelling argument that an attendance figure, was a measure of the number of people in attendance.

Paid Attendance is the sensible way to report things from a business perspective. All professional sports in N. America do it, most clubs in England are now doing it, why not us? Perimeter advertising is more valuable with higher numbers, higher numbers attract more revenue from outside sources, it's no wonder we've apparently gone down this route. Who cares if there were 1500 less in the stadium than actually paid for tickets? If the club sold 25,500 tickets for last night that's good enough for me.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
fair point - maybe we need both announced/quoted in prog? physical and tickets sold

The club are looking to maximise revenue from ticket sales figures, they're hardly likely to undermine that are they?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It should be mentioned that all Premier League teams announce tickets sold rather than through the gate. As someone suggested its probably a lot more commercially preferable to announce it that way in terms of stadium and sponsorship rights.

In that case i'm happy for us to do it now. It therefore gives a fair comparison to us and to prem teams (and teams like Paalce)

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Over 25,000 on a evening game with Cardiff not taking up there full allocation is F**king amazing.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
After 1 home game for each team. Blackburn playing tonight.

Attachments

• Attendances.png
    Attendances.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 66

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
The club are looking to maximise revenue from ticket sales figures, they're hardly likely to undermine that are they?

In my previous post - I completely agree with the attendance being that of tickets sold - just saying it would be interesting to see both, how many turn up etc

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Exactly. The official figures state that we had the highest gate of all games played in England tonight. After the frustrations of Withdean, I am more than happy with that!

Even more so when it quietens down the likes of Payless fans who were joyfully telling us last year that attendances would halve this season.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even more so when it quietens down the likes of Payless fans who were joyfully telling us last year that attendances would halve this season.

What's not to like? :)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Pretty sure everyone does this now. Just another way of showing how massive we are now!

By boasting about how many of our Season ticket holders dony show up per match? Alright then.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Are people moaning? It's clearly a change the Albion have made and people have noticed and are curious.

That over 25,000 people bought a ticket for an Albion game is amazing - no one can deny that.

It would be refreshing if the club didn't choose to go down that route tho - is this another 'Barberism'??? (and is he Peter Kenyon in disguise?).

For one thing, it makes comparison with previous attendance records etc completely meaningless. Was going to post that it was our highest home attendance since the Southampton FA Cup quarter final - except it probably wasn't.....

They should just report how many were in the stadium watching the game. No need to lie - we should be proud that we're getting 20k plus anyway.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
My North Stand seat didn't resell last night so it doesn't like like the ticket exchange will kick in for anything but the biggest of games.
I would suggest people use the exchange on here rather than the official one. I certainly will from now on.
This is probably a durrr comment but, being the old cynic, my take is that the official exchange is a method for the club to take already sold seats out of the system to maximise sale of other seats and the exchange will hardly either show a return.

The match wasn't a sell out so the Ticket Exchange wouldn't have been active last night. Only once all home seats have been sold will the Ticket Exchange start up, which as you say will only be for the biggest of games.

Selling to mates or through here is still going to give a much better deal for the buyer and seller, and you don't have to wait until the last minute to have a chance of selling it

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
It would be refreshing if the club didn't choose to go down that route tho - is this another 'Barberism'??? (and is he Peter Kenyon in disguise?).

For one thing, it makes comparison with previous attendance records etc completely meaningless. Was going to post that it was our highest home attendance since the Southampton FA Cup quarter final - except it probably wasn't.....

They should just report how many were in the stadium watching the game. No need to lie - we should be proud that we're getting 20k plus anyway.

True. It makes historical comparisons somewhat dubious.

But then it also makes present day comparisons with other clubs more relevant (seeing as more clubs now appear to report tickets sold than actual attendances).

It's the difference between saying we average 10,000 more than Palace or we only average 8,000 more. Obviously the former sounds better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here