Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Asda - opening boxing day and new years day.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
on a voluntary basis, like anyone's going to come in and work for time n'alf.
Soon it'll be open everyday of the year!

that is all.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Bas Fawtly, i wasn't actually aware of that, i thought asda was the first one. my bad.

still mad though. do you get paid more, like time n'alf for it, or what? cos the only way i'm going in, is for AT LEAST double pay.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Bas Fawtly, i wasn't actually aware of that, i thought asda was the first one. my bad.

still mad though. do you get paid more, like time n'alf for it, or what? cos the only way i'm going in, is for AT LEAST double pay.

Nope they've stopped double pay for Bank Holidays etc about two years ago at my place. Not sure if they will at Asda though.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I used to work Xmas Eve and Boxing day in return for getting NYE and NYD off when I was at Co-Op.

It was always a good laugh.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Nope they've stopped double pay for Bank Holidays etc about two years ago at my place. Not sure if they will at Asda though.

oh right, we still get time and half for bank holidays, and now boxing day/nyd, but we get paid quite high anyway, well, for my age!

but we get f*** all extra, just normal rate for NYE and Crimbo eve.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Tell me about it! :rant:

Boxing Day and New Years Day were considered "ordinary working days" where I work, and it was just assigned as per usual for us all. Not impressed, quite frankly. I doubt places like Asda would pay anything extra for those days, big companies like that don't tend to I don't think. Certainly not in the modern day, maybe a few years back, but not now.

Out of interest, SDL, do Asda have a employees union?

Zamora For England

Sep 27, 2006
Hurstpierpoint
I work at Halfords, we are shut ONE day a year, on Christmas Day, with no double pay or anything. Just in case anyone feels compelled to come in and buy windscreen wipers on Christmas Eve.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
they might aswell find jesus' grave and shit on it

Be a bit difficult as he is supposed to have risen from the dead. Actually what's the big deal ? The other supermarket chains and the likes of B & Q have been doing that for a long time.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Shops have been opening those days for at least 10 years now.

My current employers stay closed on Xmas Day (obviously), New Year's Day and Easter Sunday, my previous ones only stayed shut on Xmas Day and Easter Sunday.

MORTY

Jan 9, 2007
Basingstoke
Asda do have a trade union. The GMB. Far more influencial in Depots than stores due to a higher number or members in depots than in stores but they are there.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Isn't there legislation about shop sizes etc and when they can open?The average supermarket upwards are in the class of being able to open everyday except christmas day and easter sunday I think.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here