Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsenal - right or wrong way to run the club?

Do Arsenal do it the right way regarding their finances?

• Yes - they remain responsible, and in profit. Good on them.

Votes: 76 87.4%
  • No - they need to spend "market rates" and challenge for the title.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Don't care, and haven't cared sinced they left Woolwich. They are no better than the MK Dons.

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Although they haven't won anything in a while, if you look at the teams constantly finishing above them Arsenal seem much, much more stable and a good bet in terms of long term survival. They don't dominate, but they don't dip very low either and they're keeping their finances stable. Some clubs could learn a lesson I say.

This. I have nothing but admiration for the way Arsenal are run. Football isn't about one year of glory is consistently playing attractive football.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
while the general policy has been very good, they have followed it to a fault. much of the criticism has come because Wenger wont buy because he believes (incorrectly on evidence) that he can bring through players good enough for their standing. added to this, the Russian shareholder has offered cash injections and they have refused this offer. you can imagine the frustration of the fans.

it would be like Gus saying he wont bring in a new midfielder and defender as those in the development team are good enough and citing insufficent funds, while the club refuses to take an offer from Norman Cook to fund one or two players. then buying anyway a year later, but not as good as players previously available or that have left.

they are a good model to follow, but also learn from their errors.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The big difference this off-season is that they've spent big.

It's ironic that the RVP deal was announced the same day as the Modric deal appeared to be put in place at Real Madrid. You wonder whether the Arsenal board are allowing this to happen on the basis that Chelsea and Spurs are also selling two of their superstars as well, so the net effect is Nil and they are still Top 4 and Champions League.

The bottom line for Arsenal fans is that they have to be gutted. It's the sort of deal that confirms Arsenal as a second rate side. It's like Everton selling Rooney, Spurs selling Sol Campbell, Liverpool selling Xabi Alonso.

The title is clearly going to be a 2-horse race. Below that there is the Battle Of London for 3rd / 4th spots. Arsenal appeared to have 3rd place locked up but now RVP is gone they could be looking at 5th. Liverpool will also be heartened to see the departures of Drogba, Modric and RVP too.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
As much as I dispise Arsene Wenger, as well as some of their current and previous players and a large number of their fans, the way Arsenal are being run is most definitely the correct way to run a club.

my sentiments exactly.

and i actually expect it won't be too long before one big English club hits the walls with their ridiculous business model - debt-laden and frankly inflated sense of worth - if the Glazers floatation goes the way of Facebook and wipes 50% off the market value of the club - what then?

Arsenal are currently protected from such excess and in the long-run may come out smelling of roses.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
It's ironic that the RVP deal was announced the same day as the Modric deal appeared to be put in place at Real Madrid. You wonder whether the Arsenal board are allowing this to happen on the basis that Chelsea and Spurs are also selling two of their superstars as well, so the net effect is Nil and they are still Top 4 and Champions League.

RVP has been injury prone and has only truly impressed during the last 18 months.

I wouldn't put it past Wenger to use that money wisely.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Whilst I admire Arsenal trying to run the club properly in the face of everyone else in football at the moment if I was an Arsenal season ticket holder, paying the highest prices in England and seeing the star player leave at the beginning of every season and not winning anything I'd start to get a little pissed off at the situation.

Sadly this. Reduce prices and thus reduce expectation. Mate of mine seadon ticket just touches the 2k mark :eek:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Van Persie - bought at £2.75 million, sold at £38 million. Looks like excellent business for Arsenal to me. And of course they have already bought Lukas Podolski as his replacement.......

can't blame him for having itchy feet - Been at arsenal for ages and wins tiddly squit - well, 1 League Cup.

Contract coming to and end, last chance of a winning something, Juventus interest not coming to anything

as he said on his web site; "personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days. Out of my huge respect for Mr. Wenger, the players and the fans I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.

I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC. Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch. I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last 8 years

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
RVP: "I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens."

That's like saying I love my wife but I'm still going to have an affair with her younger, better-looking sister.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Van Persie - bought at £2.75 million, sold at £38 million. Looks like excellent business for Arsenal to me. And of course they have already bought Lukas Podolski as his replacement.......

It's reported at £22m-£24m. A little bit away from the £38m

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

can't blame him for having itchy feet - Been at arsenal for ages and wins tiddly squit - well, 1 League Cup.

Contract coming to and end, last chance of a winning something, Juventus interest not coming to anything

as he said on his web site; "personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days. Out of my huge respect for Mr. Wenger, the players and the fans I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions.

I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens. I have grown up and became a man during my time with Arsenal FC. Everybody at the club and the fans have always supported me over the years and I have always given my all (and more) on and off the pitch. I am very proud of being part of this fantastic club for the last 8 years

Stopped reading after the 1st line, 38 million yeah right!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
RVP: "I love the club and the fans, no matter what happens."

That's like saying I love my wife but I'm still going to have an affair with her younger, better-looking sister.

not really the same, unless when you married her you only committed to a 5 year marriage, with option to leave if a significantly better offer came along.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This. I have nothing but admiration for the way Arsenal are run. Football isn't about one year of glory is consistently playing attractive football.

Well, that was the case while double-barrelled Old Money was in charge. The troubles start when you allow the New Money spivs to buy big stakes in a club. Then it becomes all about instant return on your investment. Wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Arsenal go into freefall from here on in.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
not really the same, unless when you married her you only committed to a 5 year marriage, with option to leave if a significantly better offer came along.

Yes, but that better offer is her SISTER, which was the key point I was making.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well, that was the case while double-barrelled Old Money was in charge. The troubles start when you allow the New Money spivs to buy big stakes in a club. Then it becomes all about instant return on your investment. Wouldn't be surprised in the least to see Arsenal go into freefall from here on in.

I think the Arsenal board will be happy to see how the financial fair rules will affect the teams around them. Big pressure on Podolski and Giroud to deliver.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
It's reported at £22m-£24m. A little bit away from the £38m

That's what it will cost FC Glazier with the wages and the boinuses factored in

Sutton81

Jul 4, 2012
Think Arsenal are run extremely well on the whole. Strategic decision let them down. Maybe getting these right would not have allowed them to compete with likes of Chelsea and more recently City who have spent beyond means, but i think they could've stayed more competitive. A few examples, they've had money so a few players along the likes of what they've done this summer (in 20s good pedigree, room to improve, strong) would have really helped the young players to swim rather than sink. Too often they've dropped the ball when the pressures been on and having a whole team of inexperienced, growing players has not helped... a lot of the young players are now seen as dead wood and on the way out, maybe would've been different with a backbone of quality established players. I think they've been weak at the back, not so much in terms of personnel (although the keeper issue was a blindspot) but in terms of preparation. A defence can be drilled to deal with set pieces etc and I don't believe this has been the case. Also, the board and Wenger would've gained a lot from being open about how much money there was to spend. It's the fact that people thought (correctly I imagine) that there was money to spend that has led to criticism of Wenger for being inactive in the transfer market. I hope they do well this season, encouraging siginigs and interested by appointment of Bould.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
That's what it will cost FC Glazier with the wages and the boinuses factored in

It'll be a lot more than that if the 200k+ per week figure is correct. 4 year deal, 200k per week, 41 Million in wages alone isn't it? Total insanity. Arse were right in letting him go. It says something about the state of football when the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham are in the also-rans league within the PL.

I've never liked Arsenal but the way they are going about their business lately is the only way to go about it. Let the three (ManU, City and Chelsea) go off to Europe and form their own league. The rest of football will survive without them, probably be much better with them gone so long as they take all of the foreign mercenaries with them.

The Albion are 'chasing the dream' but at what cost? If we make it to the PL the club's wage bill will be crazy money and we could, if we're not careful, end up in deep shit like CPFC and PFC.Of course we all want to be in the top flight but I don't want us spunking shit loads of money on players who are only looking for a big payday. Wenger is safeguarding Arsenal for when the financial bubble bursts and I hope Tony B follows their lead.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Was that not part of your wedding vows? You're letting the side down...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here